Screwed up mounting my Thule load bars....

hikingff77

Adventurer
What to do...

So got all set up to mount my load bars on my brand new shell, completely nervous mind you to screw in my cap. I measured things out on the topside of the shell but I never checked underneath where there is a double layer of fiberglass reinforcement that I didn't account for. Now the screws are too short and it doesn't even line up right.

I started in the back and only did those holes. So now I have four holes in the cap and I'm at a loss of what to do. Should I move the brackets out to the single side and epoxy the bad holes closed? Or just get longer screws and urban engineer my way through it. I didn't do the front yet, obviously I will do it right up there.

I feel like such an ***, I should have known better but I was trying to get it done during my lunch break and wasn't taking my time. Which is what I get I suppose.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the first.

Finlay

Triarius
Don't sweat it. We've all done it.

Well, I have anyway. But then, I do drink a lot - so there's that.

Anyway, it should be easy enough to epoxy/silicone them up.

But, and I say this without seeing it, if it's where you want it and it looks like it will ride.... Just get some longer bolts. If you're especially neurotic, you can engineer some reinforcement, but that might be overkill.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
double layer of fiberglass reinforcement

I would think that is exactly where you'd want to mount load bearing bars...where there's more reinforcement. Without actually seeing what you're talking about and just using my imagination, it sounds like the perfect spot to me. I'd think longer bolts would be the way to go there...and silicone or something to seal up anywhere you're drilling, unless you expect the base of the Thule mounts to provide the waterproof barrier.

hikingff77

Adventurer
I drink a lot to, haha. Not during this instal though.

I am going to have to move the holes over, it looks ridiculous and it'll bug me. The holes are like 9/16" so filling them up might not be super easy but I'm def. going to try it. Thanks.

hikingff77

Adventurer
I would think that is exactly where you'd want to mount load bearing bars...where there's more reinforcement. Without actually seeing what you're talking about and just using my imagination, it sounds like the perfect spot to me. I'd think longer bolts would be the way to go there...and silicone or something to seal up anywhere you're drilling, unless you expect the base of the Thule mounts to provide the waterproof barrier.

The kit includes the silicone for the holes to keep out the rain.

It is a hollow section, approx. 1/2" gap, so it's not really worth screwing through for strength. The reason I say that is because if I screw down to tight, or there's to much force on the load, the hollow part could give or crack.

bronconite

Observer
This is what I would do. Drill all the way through the inner layer. Get a holesaw that will be big enough to clear the washer for the inside and drill a hole in the inner layer from the inside. Now you can mount to the single outer layer.

If you end up moving it and need to fill the holes I wouldn't fill them with epoxy or fiberglass. I'd use stainless screws with black nylon washers and a bit of silicone. Or maybe mount 4" round work lights back there.

Can you take pics?

arlon

Adventurer
This is what I would do. Drill all the way through the inner layer. Get a holesaw that will be big enough to clear the washer for the inside and drill a hole in the inner layer from the inside. Now you can mount to the single outer layer.

If you end up moving it and need to fill the holes I wouldn't fill them with epoxy or fiberglass. I'd use stainless screws with black nylon washers and a bit of silicone. Or maybe mount 4" round work lights back there.

Can you take pics?
I like that idea so you also don't have any bolts sticking down into the cargo area waiting for some day when you're in a hurry to split your knoggin.

hikingff77

Adventurer
Bronco, I like the idea but they're right on the edge of the double layer. I'll try to get pics and post them, never did it before on here. I'm a fellow Eastern PA guy, is there anything to do EXPO wise around here? I have yet to find it.

bronconite

Observer
Bronco, I like the idea but they're right on the edge of the double layer. I'll try to get pics and post them, never did it before on here. I'm a fellow Eastern PA guy, is there anything to do EXPO wise around here? I have yet to find it.

About half way down this page http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments are the directions for posting attachments and photos. I use Supermotors to host my pictures and then just post the
url] when my Bronco was on the road and you can camp there, but that's trailriding and rockcrawling. My main focus for my truck right now is for it to be a base camp for kayaking. Drive to a new section of river and park in an out of the way place for the night so I can be on the river at dawn.

hikingff77

Adventurer
About half way down this page http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments are the directions for posting attachments and photos. I use Supermotors to host my pictures and then just post the link here. I don't think there's enough undeveloped area around here to be able to do trips that meet what most would call EXPO. That doesn't mean there's not great vehicle based outdoor opportunities to be had. I've done Rausch Creek [url]http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/[/url] when my Bronco was on the road and you can camp there, but that's trailriding and rockcrawling. My main focus for my truck right now is for it to be a base camp for kayaking. Drive to a new section of river and park in an out of the way place for the night so I can be on the river at dawn.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, way to developed around here these days, even not around here, it's spreading like wildfire.

I to do the kayak thing, my wife and I just got a tandem last year and love it. Obviously we're limited to float trips and mild stuff but we love it and just getting on the water is a good thing period.

Ever been to Black Walnut Bottom campground? It's a nice place where you can camp and put in your yak. It's a walk in style campground with no amenities but pit toilets. You're right on Pine Creek. It was closed for a while due to people leaving way to much trash and bears visiting the area to much. I don't know if it's open again. I hope so, nice place.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
When I installed my thule bars I had to deal with the same issue. The instructions very directly said NOT to drill into the double thickness layer, as it has the structural integrity of a large piece of corrugated cardboard. Even with oversize washers, the bolts/dynamic load on the roof as you're driving will eventually crush the two thinner layers. I'd highly recommend cutting your losses, filling the holes with some thickened epoxy (because it's hollow, unthickened epoxy will just ooze away from your hole...think peanut butter consistency so it stays where you put it.) and then re-measuring and drilling either further back or further out to the sides. The instructions from Thule and the instructions from the cap manufacturer, and the guys where I purchased the cap said very specifically DO NOT mount/put excessive weight on the center double-thickness area. I hope that helps.

Cheers,
West

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I would go through both layers...add a large backing plate to the inside of the shell...and spray a high density expanding foam in between if you are worried about compressing the double layer...
I have used this method before and it works well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94