Screen for truck bed opening

fiddypal

Adventurer
What is everyone using as a screen to cover the opening in their truck bed when camping? There is no way i would want to sleep with the gate up and shell flap closed unless it was freezing out, my bed gets around 100* sitting out in the sun 80* weather so any summer camping i'd want to keep it open to maximize airflow.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
What kind of shell/topper are you using? You should have screens on your sliding side windows, you can add a top vent as well.

verdesardog

Explorer
I don't understand, I have a fiberglass shell on my truck. It's 20* cooler inside than outside here in the hot Arizona sun. The window screens work fine for me.

fiddypal

Adventurer
I have the window screens but i'm telling you it gets blazing hot in that thing! Its an ARE cab height cap.

NetDep

Adventurer
How about something like this. I saw one a couple of years ago and happened to snag one on Amazon - still in the bag and I keep meaning to deploy it....will have to post pics when I do. These pics are from a website that sent me in search of it - originally for the Envoy and is quite heavy in the bag -- think it will be nice to crash in the bed for an overnight.......

Attachments

• 4020194a.jpg
    4020194a.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 30
  • bd0b77ee.jpg
    bd0b77ee.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 30
  • pic-8946107374984708996-1600x1200.jpg
    pic-8946107374984708996-1600x1200.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 31

fiddypal

Adventurer
I think i am going to just get a length of mesh from that website and make my own screens with some velcro along the edges to secure it to the shell liner. I've seen those "truck tents" and they look like a chore to setup and break down. Right now i have a 8x12 tarp that i can hang off the back of my shell with 2 bungee cords connected to the wheels, then either a PVC frame or tent poles to hold the other end up. I just tested my setup last night and takes 5mins to setup and even quicker to break down. Also takes up very little space!

danfromsyr

Adventurer
Saw this in the Van forum, buy a yard sale or cheap discount tent and hack the panels you need.
Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
That is my mosquito closure. I wanted to put a mosquito net with a zipper. By the time I priced a zipper on that size, it was cheaper to get a cheap dome tend and cut the door the size needed. It holds in place with snaps and velcro. I have some nets fro the front windows. This is the only way to sleep in Texas (fall and spring).
View attachment 359053

Choff

Adventurer
If your better half sews , you could make something like this for your truck , made with cheap stock fabric from local store, and Velcro around perimeter.
Work great !!!
Choff

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 52

fiddypal

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing thats a pretty sweet cover. I do need to get some fabric to make curtains so this just might be an option as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles