Scouting Utah Traverse 20 Defender

sinuhexavier

Explorer
When my good buddy @york.st called and asked if I’d like to go to Moab for the weekend, I said “Sure, as long as we don’t go to Moab.”
@sinuhexavier-0480.jpg
@sinuhexavier-7003.jpg
I have no desire to be around the nexus of the Overland Industrial Complex and Extreme Outdoor Industrial Complex. Thankfully Moab is there because like a moth to flame, it attracts everyone that wants to project their epic adventureness. They get an easily recognizable hashtag and geotag to get the stamp of approval. It also keeps the surrounding areas empty.

@sinuhexavier-6879.jpg

We went a little deeper and on a busy spring weekend we only saw 7 other groups in 170 miles off-road. Found a new route that previously was impassable due to overgrowth and rock-slide and put @york.st new @landroverusa Defender to the test.

@sinuhexavier-6904.jpg

@sinuhexavier-6952.jpg
@sinuhexavier-7057.jpg

@sinuhexavier-7095.jpg
The Defender works as promised. It handles on the highway as a large SUV would. The factory rack did have an abnormally loud wind noise above 70mph adding to driver fatigue. Off road with the tire pressure down to 25psi it ate up wash board roads and narrow desert two tracks. When it came to the more technical ledges and boulders the driving programs made it feel more like playing a video game than actually driving, that aside it handled everything.

@sinuhexavier-7148.jpg

@sinuhexavier-7310.jpg

@sinuhexavier-7352.jpg

There is absolutely no storage inside. My National Luna 50L fridge barely fit in the back and lashing it down was tricky. The cargo space leaves a lot of voids when packed with hard cases. If you can get beyond those minor functional downfalls and it’s questionable exterior physique, the Defender will work well for you. However, it needs to be said that this should have been a continuation of the Discovery and not the Defender IMHO. #defender #utahtraverse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles