Scout Yoho Truck Advice

pkita99

Hello folks,

Been looking at truck campers for a while and finally decided to put a deposit down for a Scout Yoho. Planning to use it extensively in the winter for hunting and ski trips and decided to go with a hard shell camper instead of a pop up like the FWC. Really liked the minimalistic design of the Scouts and since it will be just myself, the wife and a dog the yoho seamed like the best fit (we liked the layout of the yoho better than the olympic as we saw both of them at a local dealer).

The biggest dilemma is what truck to put it on. We currently have only one vehicle and I was originally planning buying a long bed tacoma (even before deciding on a camper), but after doing some reading and research it seems like it might be too much of a camper for it even with suspension and other upgrades, the camper dry with all the options is just under 1100lbs.

So the question I had for this forum was what do you guys think would be a good truck to pick up that would be able to haul this camper and still have good off-roading capabilities? I know with whatever route I go i will have to do some upgrades to the truck but really want to eventually build up a good rig that would be able to handle off road and this camper without any worries. Delivery of camper is Q1 2022 so still lots of time to decide.

Would an investment in a diesel make sense here if we eventually would upgrade to something bigger as the family grows?

Thank you for all the input and help.

-PK

GeorgeHayduke

I definitely agree with you on preferring the Yoho layout over the Olympic and for cold weather use I think you made a great choice vs the FWC. In terms of truck, you can put the Yoho on pretty much anything, although you might need to build a little basement to get it to clear the cab on a full size. Could be a nice place to store skis/rifles/fishing poles/etc.

With a small/lightweight camper a diesel is likely really overkill unless you're also planning to tow something substantial. I'd be more inclined toward a gasser for cold weather ski trips and greater payload/lighter weight on rough hunting roads. For just you, the wife, and a dog, an extended cab truck is probably perfect. If you're expecting the family to grow soon, 4 full doors is pretty important for ease of access with car seats and crash test scores are better with the extra door pillar.

If you don't want any worries with a truck camper and offroad use, go straight to an HD model and don't muck about trying to make a midsize or half ton work. You'll get full floating axles, better brakes, better ground clearance, higher payload, and likely get the same or better MPG as a smaller truck when loaded down. The HD Ram crew cabs and bed are a little smaller than the other domestics so the turn radius is better and a Ram crew cab with 6' 4" bed actually has a shorter wheelbase than a Ford with a 6' 9" bed and extended cab. We have our Scout Kenai on a Ram 2500 and the 2014+ coil sprung rear suspension is not a good match for a truck camper with a high center of gravity, although maybe with the Yoho being so light it wouldn't be a big deal. Ford's can be had with a factory electronic rear locker which is pretty sweet, Ram's only come with an LSD.

tacollie

Glamper
Having a similar weighted camper in a half ton and now on a 3/4 I say get a 3/4. Especially if the camper is mounted full time. They are more stable and comfortable with the weight. The Ram's cab and bed sides aren't as high as Ford so the Yoho may be a better fit. A rear sway bar will help with the coil sprung rear end. Gas will be better for cold camping. Mpgs suck on any gas truck with a camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles