Scout Olympic vs Kenai

svinyard

We got out for a quick overnight this last weekend. Man, having the Kenai is so freaking sweet. We aren't perfectly dialed in yet but its just amazing to load up the fridge with food and grab some clothes and go within a couple hours of prep time. That never happens with our family of 4.

- Rooftop tent is sweet and we are good at getting it up and down quickly.
- The mattress sure feels roomy and comfy with a 3in topper (2in wasn't enough for us).
- Cooking was a breeze (that vent fan works). Its truly amazing how dang ROOMY the thing is for 4 of us. Actually that stove it comes with is surprisingly nice! It holds a simmer MUCH better than stuff like a partner stove or cheaper stoves. Very controllable. The grate doesn't go all the way in so we weren't able to use our Stanley adventure French press/water heater tho.
- Its definitely comfortable inside with the family and easy to get by each other.
- All of the storage is a godsend. With mtb gear and cloths and jackets we certainly used most of it.
- My wife put in some great 1/2in shelves over the bathroom area cubby and then one in each of the wardrobe area (which is the food pantry). There is a ton of vertical space in there so shelves really made it awesome for storing a mountain of dry goods.

Only issue we had was the Airhead toilet. Now its been utterly awesome to have it and its handy to have a spot to pee for the ladies. It was great having a place to take a deuce too. Nevertheless we got some liquids in the tank and on the way home the toilet started to have a gross smell. Oddly enough most of the smell came from the ceiling cowl area and not the toilet itself. The Airhead guys said to remove that flimsy plastic bug screen from the outer vent install so I did that. Same problem. I added more Coco Coir, still smelly (it'll take some time). Might just need a full reset there. However, its a vented system and it shouldn't be dumping smell from that ceiling cowl. Finally I sealed the cowl to the sealing with silicon (no harm in that) and also where the vent hose screws into that cowl. So now its a closed system thats actively ventilating. Within moments the stank was gone. Very awesome. The toilet still needs to be dealt with as it should never smell like that (its the urine in the solids) BUT even with it being a bit jacked up, totally no smell in the camper even when you stick your nose around. Pretty sweet.

GeorgeHayduke

Great to hear you're enjoying it so much, we feel the same way about ours! Agreed that the stove is surprisingly good, and we love being able to easily connect it outside too.

Any tips for closing the RTT? I still struggle with the fabric sticking out around the strut. Also, are you doing anything to protect the RTT mattress? Couldn't figure out a mattress cover that didn't block the hatch...

svinyard

Great to hear you're enjoying it so much, we feel the same way about ours! Agreed that the stove is surprisingly good, and we love being able to easily connect it outside too.

Any tips for closing the RTT? I still struggle with the fabric sticking out around the strut. Also, are you doing anything to protect the RTT mattress? Couldn't figure out a mattress cover that didn't block the hatch...
We still have a small bit of fabric sticking out there too but its a small amount. You are probably doing what we do already. We open the windows for sure so that its stops "billowing" out when you close it. Then its just a bit of handwork getting it tucked in and then closing it.

Mattress has a cover on it that I think my wife just sliced a hole into. I'll ask her about it. We do want to get that mattress protected if it isn't already.

Here are pics of the shelving. Its worked well. Not sure I love the baskets my wife is using in there but they do help. Likely need some more of those bungie nets out front.
1620279935905.png 1620279948153.png

evavricka

Hi everyone, new here! I've been reading through all the posts on the Kenai and I love hearing all the details and ideas you've been sharing! We have ours on order, won't come until next year! I had a question regarding the cassette toilet, we opted to add that, but I'm wondering if a dry flush system would be better? It's two adult woman with a 2.5 year old who will be using it. In the past I've had the campa potti and I HATED dumping it. I've seen some people use the Laveo dry flush, thoughts on this (pros/cons) or other ideas would be greatly appreciated! I also saw the Air-head, but not sure we want to deal with composting either.

svinyard

Hi everyone, new here! I've been reading through all the posts on the Kenai and I love hearing all the details and ideas you've been sharing! We have ours on order, won't come until next year! I had a question regarding the cassette toilet, we opted to add that, but I'm wondering if a dry flush system would be better? It's two adult woman with a 2.5 year old who will be using it. In the past I've had the campa potti and I HATED dumping it. I've seen some people use the Laveo dry flush, thoughts on this (pros/cons) or other ideas would be greatly appreciated! I also saw the Air-head, but not sure we want to deal with composting either.
Apparently the dryflush works but you'll still have a fair amount of toilet trash to cart around. I dunno, having that much plastic junk for camping seems like a pretty bad waste. The cassette toilet is an option but yeah dumping is going to be what you'd expect and for us it was the limited capacity and extra water weight (2 adults and 2 kids) that put a damper on it. We are still new to the composting toilet and after bumbling it and not following the directions (I only used half the coco I was supposed to), it's pretty dang nice. I've had some waste in there for over a week with zero, and I mean zero, smell. my wife uses it as an office and has a blood hounds nose, so I'd hear about it if it was the slightest of issues. We'll see how this weekend fairs but its actually one of my favorite parts of our setup, especially since I should get about 1.5weeks of full time use before it needs emptying. Fyi its really just a desiccating toilet that separates and dries stuff out so it's not really a composting toilet despite what they say. I can keep you posted but a lot of people have done with with the Airheads, especially the boating crowd.

Last edited:

evavricka

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate your details! We are going to try to opt out of the thetford, hopefully they can make the change. Seems like there are a number of other options that may work better and I don't have to deal with the mess of dumping all the time! Question for the vent, since it's through the roof, is there an oder that comes out the top near the tent or around the outside of camper at all?

svinyard

I think the Thetford is still a nice option and I don't have experience with it so I'm no expert there. The Airhead will produce some faint smell out of the vent but even when we messed it up (it smelled bad then), you couldn't smell it unless you climbed up near the vent. Its up so high that its a non-issue so far. After I fixed my toilet with more Coco and some time, the vent doesn't smell either and it doesn't smell when I opened the hatch. I need to use it on more trips tho before I can say how well it works longer term.

GeorgeHayduke

No issues with the Thetford here, but we don't use it too much and I don't have any experience with the other options. I could see capacity being an issue for big families that use it frequently. Dumping isn't pleasant and you have to be comfortable lifting the 5 gallon tank, but I really appreciate being able to empty it at home or pit toilets at campgrounds/trailheads. I also like that there's no power required to run it, no extra roof penetrations, and it winterizes easily (just use washer fluid).

evavricka

No issues with the Thetford here, but we don't use it too much and I don't have any experience with the other options. I could see capacity being an issue for big families that use it frequently. Dumping isn't pleasant and you have to be comfortable lifting the 5 gallon tank, but I really appreciate being able to empty it at home or pit toilets at campgrounds/trailheads. I also like that there's no power required to run it, no extra roof penetrations, and it winterizes easily (just use washer fluid).

Thanks for the info on the Thetford. I've dealt with dumping the campa potti for a 7 day camp trip with my wife and I, I really disliked having to deal with the dumping. I guess I have a bit of a week stomach ;-) I did however, like the convenience of being able to dump in pit toilets etc. like you mentioned. We are actually thinking of trying out the simple lug-a-loo toilet for $50 bucks when we first get the Kenai and make some decisions after we use it a few times to see what might work best for our family.

Retepick

A couple of updates to ours:

1- Electrical - I dug around and there is no panel or fuses etc, but GoalZero got back to me and said I don't need any of that. The wiring is all pretty simple. Seems like most of the runs are 16 AWG and tucked behind the plywood corner pieces or nicely hidden and wrapped in that flexible plastic cover.

2- The National Luna fridge is awesome and the simple Curt D-Loop mounts with a single strap on either side has worked great with the fridge. It doesn't move around when driving on super potholed bad roads. I do have an anti-slip mat under it that helps I think.

3- The Airhead Toilet is fully installed. Its so freaking sweet to use. No chemicals or mess and its a perfect fit with the larger 2gal liquid bottle too. I routed the vent hosing out the top with a JR Products mushroom vent and Mangus Bond 75AM sealant/adhesive. The fan wires in nicely a half in away to the existing wiring too. I use hole saws to cut into the plywood cabinetry so as to route the housing in a hidden way. The ceiling hole was done with a 2.5in hole saw as well and was really easy. I used a custom switch for the vent fan so I could turn it off if I want.

4- I'm wiring in the Sirroco II fan this week and will use some thumbscrews to mount it to the upper brackets on passenger side. It'll give me some flexibility in figuring out where I want it. Wiring it into the 12v run that is below the fireplace. There is wiring already there for the small fan on the heater. Using 18 AWG and some basic crimp connectors.

View attachment 657760 View attachment 657763View attachment 657761

View attachment 657762

View attachment 657764
Your posts are so helpful!! I too have A Kenai, and and going to use the Airhead Toilet. Question: I am ordering it and they ask “right angle fan housing” or ”straight fan housing”. Which would you recommend? Also, have you noticed that the vent lets a lot of cold air in? I am thinking of using this camper for skiing, and significant compromise to the insulation would be unfortunate. Thanks again!

svinyard

Your posts are so helpful!! I too have A Kenai, and and going to use the Airhead Toilet. Question: I am ordering it and they ask “right angle fan housing” or ”straight fan housing”. Which would you recommend? Also, have you noticed that the vent lets a lot of cold air in? I am thinking of using this camper for skiing, and significant compromise to the insulation would be unfortunate. Thanks again!

I haven't noticed any air intake, especially since the fan is blowing out. I'm guessing it'll be fine in the winter. Put a silicon bead around the seal to the ceiling and also around where the hose screws into the vent. I video'd the whole install (mostly) if you end up wanting to see it.. I got a straight fan housing as you can see in the pics. I also needed extra hose, about 4ft I think. There is a hose splice in the middle for the bug screen. In mine its hidden behind the fold up toilet cover counter. I think we have the toilet dialed in now, but we'll be on a 4day/3night trip this weekend with the 4 of us. Should be a good test.

Maybe my favorite mod is that damn Sirroco II gimble fan. Its SO nice having a low-draw gimble fan able to run for an hour or so when sleeping or when its stuffy in the camper. Its a big deal having some air circulation when running the heater too as it doesn't heat evenly being a fireplace. The gimble fan solves all that in spades and folds out of the way. I used 18awg wire and the basic crimp connects with a pigtail 5mm connection below the fireplace (wiring is there already). Also put some half inch heat shrink around the outer crimp connection so the slice isn't showing.

A couple of other notes:
1- The 9in lodge griddle doesn't work on the stove. Not enough air flow for it to keep the flame lit on the cramped right side.

2- We are putting up a knife/utensil magnet to the left of the stove to hold cooking items. Its too "nested" in that lower area for my tastes

3- Two sleeping bags stuff into the big compartment to the right of the battery area. We keep the kids bedding stuffed in there which is sweet because we don't have stuff just lying around, everything is stored.

4- Got a 12ft quick connect propane hose for running the stove outside (on either side of truck mind you) and the Joolca. Might have to adjust the Joolca connection, testing that today.

5- Everyone needs more water storage. Kenai has 9gal and we use about 4-5gal a day with 4 of us. I'd like to have 25Gal with us. I looked into unique solutions to put water in the truck cab in dead-space to keep the extra weight forward not backwards. Frontrunner makes a footwell 10gal tank that might work well (I have kids in the back) but sold out. Their jerry cans are nice but the spigots suck and leak and they are spendy. So my plan now is I bought two Sceptre cans on amazon for 44$ each and they might literally be bullet proof. Buddies have dropped them out of Heli's before in military. Plus they come with an O-ring in the top cap and have a great reputation for not leaking. My plan is try and lay them on their side at the kids feet. That would give me 19Gal. I'll likely also bring the big square blue jug (with spigot) and seatbelt it between the kids for 24Gals. Should keep them from fighting too. Double use and all that. Hoping it works but was less than 100$ for a try. If anyone has better built in solution, I'd love to hear it. One last thing, the Scepter cans are about as good as it gets but they don't come with a spout. Getting one is oddly spendy and the tank is still gravity fed which takes up precious table space. BUT...check this out! I'll be testing it this week, looks sweet and cheap for 13$ and no table needed. (link at bottom). Also I just picked up one of these...they look incredible for transferring water easily: Super Siphon (or Safety Siphon on amazon). You just dunk it in once or twice and then it siphons 3 gal per minute without ever having to suck on the end, amazing.

6- I ordered a Lolo Rack with their new integrated swing out. SUPER sick swing out rack in that the rack directly attaches to the swing arm (not a hitch attachment) and it swings to the drivers side...away from the awning, compartment storage, gas outlet. Spendy but they are local so the price isn't bad without paying shipping. Kids, BMX, DJ's, MTB's...it'll all attach just fine which is what we need. No other rack can handle all of the bike styles we wanted plus also have an integrated swing. Hopefully it works out.

7- We've gotten good at the Roofnest tent opening and closing. If you leave the windows open upstairs it doesn't billow. Then you can use the elastic cord to suck it in...pull on that cord to REALLY bring the material in as you close the tent. Then sit on it and latch. Done. I'm not looking forward to being up there if its windy and icy/snowy tho...not so sure we'll be using it in that situation anyways. Also we have a mattress cover on it and just sliced it on the diagonals for the inner hatch. Works.

8- I bought a 4ft RV utility house for the grey water. Its perfect length and screws onto the sink vent fitting outside. I run the hose down into a junky jerry can thats in the wheel well area inside the bed. Its a perfect fit and allows me to capture 5 gal of grey water without hassle or dedicated tanks. Very simple and super handy so we aren't dumping it on the ground there.

Last edited:

TheFrazz

I’ll echo what many before me have said about how helpful this thread has been. I’m on the waiting list for a Kenai and am excited for a (hopefully) Q1 2022 delivery.

Those who have a Kenai, how are you securing it to your truck? Mine will be going on a Ram 3500 but I cannot seem to find load ratings for the OEM tie downs.

svinyard

Same problem here. I ended up going with the tried and true FWC solution. I found a FWC dealer here in PNW (Das Mule) and they sold me the mounting hardware that they've used for like 30 yrs (their campers are of similar weight).

Video of the install and hardware. They sold me the hardware for 70$.

I’ll echo what many before me have said about how helpful this thread has been. I’m on the waiting list for a Kenai and am excited for a (hopefully) Q1 2022 delivery.

Those who have a Kenai, how are you securing it to your truck? Mine will be going on a Ram 3500 but I cannot seem to find load ratings for the OEM tie downs.

TheFrazz

Same problem here. I ended up going with the tried and true FWC solution. I found a FWC dealer here in PNW (Das Mule) and they sold me the mounting hardware that they've used for like 30 yrs (their campers are of similar weight).

Video of the install and hardware. They sold me the hardware for 70$.

Thanks for the video! Seems pretty straightforward even though I was hoping the answer was the OEM tie downs would be enough ?

svinyard

I'm not saying they won't work, I just wasn't ever sure and couldn't get anyone, including Ford to give me a legit capacity number for mine. So it was left in question which I wasn't comfortable with. Thankfully FWC has been doing this for 35+ years (or hell is it 45yrs?) and doing it this way. Those campers take a beating because a fair amount of their users do some hardcore 4x4ing with them. So for 70$ and 20mins of time, it was a no brainer to get a solid solution. YMMV
Thanks for the video! Seems pretty straightforward even though I was hoping the answer was the OEM tie downs would be enough ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles