Scout "Kenai" Slide In Camper Review

YF_Ryan

I've got the Scout Yoho on order. Similar to the Kenai layout with the U shaped dinette, but without the mudroom/bath. Everything is just a bit smaller, like the width of the camper, and the space for the Fridge. Really looking forward to it. Supposed to get it in December of this year. It will go on my Tacoma. Sold my AT Habitat earlier this year after learning about the Scout Yoho. Really looking forward to the hard sides and the fireplace!

nickw

Adventurer
I've got the Scout Yoho on order. Similar to the Kenai layout with the U shaped dinette, but without the mudroom/bath. Everything is just a bit smaller, like the width of the camper, and the space for the Fridge. Really looking forward to it. Supposed to get it in December of this year. It will go on my Tacoma. Sold my AT Habitat earlier this year after learning about the Scout Yoho. Really looking forward to the hard sides and the fireplace!
What is the weight of the yoho camper and what are you putting it on? Just kinda curious how guys are getting these hard sided campers to work with the light duty trucks....I see they have one installed on a Taco on the Scout website, but with a ~1k payload the numbers don't add up for me.

I see on the main page Scott wants to put a Kenai on a GMC AT4, same issue, 1400lb camper on a rig with ~1500 payload...

YF_Ryan

What is the weight of the yoho camper and what are you putting it on? Just kinda curious how guys are getting these hard sided campers to work with the light duty trucks....I see they have one installed on a Taco on the Scout website, but with a ~1k payload the numbers don't add up for me.

I see on the main page Scott wants to put a Kenai on a GMC AT4, same issue, 1400lb camper on a rig with ~1500 payload...

Yoho camper is just a little under 1000lbs. Loaded, it will be a little over that. I'm putting it on a DCSB Tacoma. The same truck in my Avatar. I have removed the Habitat and all the contents of my bed build-out and am waiting for the Scout later this year. I will also be removing my tailgate and my swingout (that'll save me a few pounds). I'm running Deaver U402 Expedition Stage 3 rear leaf springs giving 3 inch lift at a constant load of 700-1000lbs. They treated me extremely well with my 350lb Habitat, 350lbs of batteries and accessories, and 200lb (loaded) swingout. I'm less worried about the weight, and more worried about the height and wind resistance. Luckily I'm used to 10mpg. Just re-geared my truck from 3.73 to 4.56 as well, which has gained me some of the lost mileage back. I will also be grabbing a set of e-load rating tires right before my camper is delivered.

I'm not saying people should be overloading their trucks, but I know I'm still gonna be far under how many people run their Tacomas. I have a friend who drives a LOT of miles over gnarly terrain with a Tacoma on 37s that weighs WELL over 7000lbs. I will be nowhere near the weight he is running, and will never see the type of terrain he does. I'll be cruising in the slow lane and sticking to nothing much worse than Forest Service Roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94