Scott B.'s 2015 AC Build - Expo Style

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Heraclitus of Ephesus, the Greek philosopher, said the only constant in life is change. I had what I thought was a constant, and it has changed. Evolved, if you will. And the evolution will continue...

After owning, building and using a truck for 21 years (the constant), change happened. This change happens to be a 2015 Tacoma Access Cab - an evolution of my previous truck. Just as the previous truck evolved over its life, this one shall evolve to a superior version of its current state. This thread will document said evolution.

Philosophy aside, what follows will be the ongoing transformation of an SR5 model truck to a very capable, comfortable and reliable adventure and expedition-worthy vehicle.

An additional part of the change is going from 2 trucks to 1 - this one will be my daily driver as well.

In the beginning, March 12, I brought home a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab V6 Automatic SR5 in Super White. Seeing as Access Cabs were few and far between, I had ordered the truck in January. I shopped at 4 dealerships - at the fourth dealership, Cherokee County Toyota, I bought the truck on a handshake.

I looked at and compared the different trim levels before settling on the SR5. I have a build plan for this truck, and figured I would replace all the upgraded parts on the other trim level.

Dealer.jpg

Odo.jpg

**************************************************************************************

September 2015 - Parashant National Monument

truck.jpg

**************************************************************************************

April 2017, Nottley Lake, Georgia

t1.jpg

Make: Toyota
Model: Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 SR5
Year: 2015

Drivetrain

Engine: 1GR-FE, 4.0L V6
Transmission: A750F, 5 speed Automatic
Transfer Case: VF2A
Front Axle: Toyota, 4.56, Nitro Torsen Posi
Rear Axle: Toyota 8.4", 4.56, TrueTtac
Wheels: FJ 16 x 7.5"
Tires: BFG KO2 285/75-16

Suspension

Bilstein 6112 shocks
Camburg ball joint UCA
Wheeler's brake lines
Speedbleeders
Wheeler bump stops

Deaver spring pack
All Pro u-bolt flip kit
RuffStuff u-bolts
1" aluminum lift blocks
Bilstein 5165 shocks
Wheeler's extended brake lines
Speedbleeders
Firestone Air Springs, Daystar cradles
Hammer Hangers

Interior (cab)

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller
BirdDawg Industries Tech Deck and Mirror Riser
Salex Organizers for console and glove box
Autometer Sport Comp II Gauges - Oil Pressure, Transmission Temperature, Voltmeter (2)

Interior (wiring mods)

12V Anytime
ABS Off switch
Blue Sea Systems 12 point fuse block

Communications

Cobra 25 CB
K40 Antenna, roof mount
Laird NMO roof mount

Exterior

Window tint
Line-X fender flares
Husky mud flaps

Armor

Pelfreybilt aluminum skidplates - front, mid, rear, gas tank
Pelfreybilt rear bumper with dual swing-outs
Pelfreybilt front bumper, Warn VR 10-S winch
All Pro bolt-on sliders

Truckbed

SnugTop Sport Hi-Liner shell with WinDoors, Yakima rack rails
Custom sleeping platform with 5' long pull-out drawers
Blue Sea Systems 12 point fuse block
Engel MT45 refrigerator
Viair 400P compressor

States Visited

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Wyoming

Events and Destinations

DE V - Parashant
Appalachian Rendezvous

DE VI - The Pony Express Trail
Appalachian Rendezvous

DE VII - Big Skies
Appalachian Rendezvous

DE VIII - The Owens Valley
Appalachian Rendezvous

Appalachian Rendezvous

Trip Reports

Parashant
The Pony Express Trail
Big Skies
The Owens Valley

Last edited:

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
The Start

First mod - tinted windows.

LLumar film to block heat and UV. Aside from looking good, it will keep the interior nice for many years.

Tint1.jpg

Tint2.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Sleeping Platform

I built a sleeping platform in my previous truck, and really liked it. So, I am building one for this truck.

The Tacoma platform will be a little different than my other one. This one will have slide out drawers, not just underneath storage. The drawers will be a little heavier, but I think the convenience will pay for the weight.

The bed is 6' long - the platform will have 5' drawers, and a 12" compartment at the front of the bed. One drawback/issue with the long drawers is the side support. I wanted to use 1/2" plywood for this project, but decided to use 3/4" for the additional strength. The deck will also be 3/4". The bulkhead area will drop to 1/2", since the load is vertical.

Laying out the drawer slides:

SP1.jpg

sp2.jpg

The forward section of the deck:

sp3.jpg

The drawer dividers:

sp4.jpg

The center divider and forward bulkhead:

sp5.jpg

sp6.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
The underside of the deck, routed for the vertical dividers:

sp1.jpg

Glued up:

sp2.jpg

Forward compartment access panels cut:

sp3.jpg

Topside varnished (for water repellancy):

sp4.jpg

Trial fitting in truck with the rear part of the deck:

sp5.jpg

Drilling holes for RivNuts in a brand new truck:

sp6.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Line-X Flares

I pulled off the flares, and had them sprayed with Line-X. When re-installing them, I installed a set of Husky mud flaps.

For the record, I am not really a fan of mud flaps, but they will save the paint and underside of the back of the truck.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

Last edited:

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
ARE X-Series

I ordered an ARE X-Series for the truck.

I had a Z-Series on my previous truck, and really like the look of it. However, the Z is not available with Windoors (which I really wanted this time around.) So, X it was.

I also got the tilt down front sliding window and Yakima rails.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

And I had to make it mine! :)

s4.jpg

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Looking sharp. I am sure that this will be right to the point and all about function. There are a few really well done Tacoma's on here that are not over done with the idea of DD duty and Overland work. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Best of luck.
TD

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Do you have the tow package? Do you still have your teardrop? I towed my SoCal Krawler over the weekend and it did a great job pulling it.

ChsBrgr

Observer
Congratulations. It's very apparent that you have thought this build through way ahead of time. It really shows you know what you want/need. Had windoors before, great choice, you will love 'em. Looking forward to following your build.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Do you have the tow package? Do you still have your teardrop? I towed my SoCal Krawler over the weekend and it did a great job pulling it.

Yes, I have the tow package, and yes, I still have the teardrop.

The tow package was an inexpensive way to get some good upgrades (that I would have made anyway.) Now, I need to change the bolt pattern and wheels on the TD to match this truck.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Yes, I have the tow package, and yes, I still have the teardrop.

The tow package was an inexpensive way to get some good upgrades (that I would have made anyway.) Now, I need to change the bolt pattern and wheels on the TD to match this truck.

My Jeep didn't have a tow package. I started getting all the pieces together and never got any of it installed. I made up my mind and decided to sell the Jeep. Went out and got a Tacoma. I have 35's on my trailer and now I need to change those wheels and tires out to something a little smaller and match the wheels. I will probably do that when it comes time to lifting the Toyota and get new tires.

You changed your username, didn't you?

Yes, because, "Rubicon08" doesn't make a lot of sense any more. I ended up with "Yulli." Which is the name of my daughter's 5ft. tall stuffed animal yeti that my brother got her for Christmas, haha. It's silly and easy to remember.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles