Scott B.'s 2015 AC Build - Expo Style

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Ceiling Straps

Occasionally, while carrying things in the back of the truck, I have thought it would be nice to keep some items up against the ceiling - mainly to keep them from getting tossed around and damaged. I have seen multiple ideas as to how to accomplish this feat - here is my way.

I wanted something simple - just a couple of adjustable straps along the ceiling. I can put undelfated sleeping pads up there, or fishing rods or my PVC target stands. Nothing too heavy, just bulky things.

Start with the obvious - how to attach to the roof. I have Yakima tracks through-bolted through the roof. But, the bolt spacing is not quite right for what I want to do.

I fabricated some mounting plates out of 1/8" aluminum:

cs2.jpg

Test fit:

cs1.jpg

Paint, and straps made of 2" webbing. (For those wondering, I purchased the webbing in bulk, footman loops and buckles from Strapworks.com.)

cs3.jpg

The result

cs4.jpg

dman93

Adventurer
Hi Scott, in post #111 you tap into the underhood fuse box. How did you route the wire out of the box? Thanks.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Engine Block Heater

I added an engine block heater. While I do not live in a cold climate, there are mornings that start below freezing. I also travel to snowy/cold climates.

The heater is not a required option, rather a "nice to have" one. Warm oil flows better (faster) through the engine, warm water heats (expands) the various metal components in the engine, getting the pieces to required clearances faster. In other words, the engine sees less wear.

Is the wear significant or negligible? That is a subject of great debate (not to be covered here.) I have been running block heaters for over 20 years, and figured I'd just continue.

Besides, I get warm air out of the heater faster!

I decided to use the Toyota heater, vs. a standard replace a freeze plug style. Since the block was designed for it, why not? The best part was I didn't have to drain the coolant to install it.

View attachment 329184

The only issue I had was a bracket holding the O2 sensor wire - it was right in the way. And, the 17mm bolt holding it to the engine was waaaay to tight.

Otherwise, nothing to the installation.

(No pictures of the installed unit - you can't really see it.)

Where can I find the part number to install this on my 2.7 liter 1997 4runner?

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Hi Scott, in post #111 you tap into the underhood fuse box. How did you route the wire out of the box? Thanks.

From the stud (+12V) I went down, following the existing power wire. There is plenty of room for additional wires out the hole in the bottom of the fuse block.

cwj1994

Chris
Scott what are the dimensions of your template you used to store gear via your yakima rail holes in your topper? What did you use to attach the strap too? A U bolt? Thanks Chris.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Scott what are the dimensions of your template you used to store gear via your yakima rail holes in your topper? What did you use to attach the strap too? A U bolt? Thanks Chris.

Chris,

The Yakima rack holes are 12" apart, and the aluminum pieces are 2" x 15". I allowed about an inch around each bolt for support.

The strap is attached with a footman loop. Generally, they are marine fittings, but are available from strapworks.com.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Transmission Cooling and Filtering, Part II

Earlier, I added a larger cooler to the transmission. Toyota installed a cooler, but as I offroad and tow, both of which build a lot of heat in the transmission, I wanted to increase the cooling ability. Heat kills a transmission, and I want mine to last a long time.

Likewise, dirty fluid also kills a transmission. Toyota has a screen (not really a filter) in the pan, but I wanted more. I added an external filter to the transmission.

I used a standard filter mount. The brass piece sticking out of the left side is a temperature sender for the soon-to-be-mounted transmission temperature gauge.

tf1.jpg

While I was here, I pulled the pan and replaced the screen.

tf2.jpg

I mounted the filter next to the passenger side headlight. I plumbed the filter in the cooling line with the fluid traveling from the transmission to the cooler. This allows me to monitor the hot temperature in the transmission, rather than the nominal temperature in the pan.

tf3.jpg

And lastly, I put a magnet on the filter, to help contain any metallic particulate matter in the fluid.

tf4.jpg

I plan to change this filter every 15,000 - 20,000 miles, when I do a fluid drain/fill.

ZWilson07

Great idea on the external filter. Did you go with OEM trans filter/screen or aftermarket? I like to only use factory stuff on transmissions but Toyota wants an absolute insane price for it on our 13 Corolla.

Thanks. Enjoying the build.

Last edited:

PhaseAngle

Scott, really enjoying the build. I'm in Cherokee County as well so I will be on the lookout for your truck. Keep up the great work.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Great idea on the external filter. Did you go with OEM trans filter/screen or aftermarket? I like to only use factory stuff on transmissions but Toyota wants an absolute insane price for it on our 13 Corolla.

Thanks. Enjoying the build.

The first time I drained/filled the transmission, I used a Toyota screen. This time, I used a WIX screen. WIX makes very high quality filters (usually). In this case, the two filters looked identical. However, neither is really a filter - more like a fine screen. Hence the external filter.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I've been busy working on several projects for the truck (write-ups to follow) as well as re-tiling a bathroom floor.

Earlier this week, we had some unseasonably warm weather for Georgia. Taking a break from the bathroom floor, and taking advantage of the weather, we headed to a friend's place in middle Georgia with the teardrop for an overnight shooting/camping adventure.

camp1.jpg

Good friends, good food, and shooting! Doesn't get any better than that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior