SCORE! Skamper 8ft pop-top for $200!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
yes..you read that right!!...$200!!

craigslist add without a picture and 1 1/2hr away...talked to the owner and seemed like it MIGHT be what we're lookin for..(at 10% the cost we wanted to pay!)

it sat the last 5 years..the owners sister used it last and didnt put the top down square and it leaked...by the time he found out it was too late..

all the canvas is in GREAT shape (mildewed)...the screens have some holes where the top rubbed while packed up...but otherwise its in good shape..

the cabinets are all solid and no floor rot..just the upper bed sagged...

fridge and heater were replaced in 98 and hardly ever used..

its got a ton of stuff with it..and the jacks/belly-bar and chains..

the wife is THRILLED with the layout and isnt worried about the repairs (till she sees the cost...which should be less than $200)..

new carpet and all the Zippers are good...

gonna get her unloaded and have at the inside with the shopvac..

it did have wasps and ants...but only one wood-roach and no spiders/carpenter ants/spiders/rattlesnakes (seriously a worry..they are known but rare in southern ohio)...

nuff gabbin...pix!

stopped for lunch on way home
IMG00975.jpg

after bath
IMG00976.jpg

IMG00977.jpg

1970's interior!:victory:
DCP_8525.jpg

DCP_8526.jpg

DCP_8529.jpg

DCP_8530.jpg

DCP_8531.jpg

eugene

Explorer
Looks a lot like mine, the hand crank, lift arms, three jacks, etc. I'm in central ohio, if you ever run into one similar for parts let me know, maybe we could split the cost, I need a new crank and want a 4th jack to make it more stable.

Check the wood in the roof, they drive screws right through the roof covering then caulk them but water leaks in and rots the wood, your front left seems to be sagging a little like mine was.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I think the roof is ok sofar..but the front is just hangin from the rott..

I'll keep ya in mind if I find one for parts..theres a guy in new philly area (use craiglook.com to find it) that has 3 camper jacks for sale $125..

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
There's deals out there. A guy from the Turbo Diesel Register pm'd me with pics and a CL link to the 1997 Northstar TC800 he scored. It was used six times and garage stored. $1600. Jeez,I paid $9200 for my 2000 TC800 in 2000 new. There just werent many used ones around back then.

eugene

Explorer
the left side of the roof right in front of the latch looks like it might be bending downward, doesn't look straight, that how mine looked. I couldn't tell there was rot until I peeled the covering off, there was aluminum on both sides so you couldn't see it. I left the aluminum covering off the inside figuring it was just trapping moisture.
You stove almost looks like you could grill on it, doesn't look like the stoves in all the old ones I've seen. Mine was "stainless" like that, I found a can of rust-o-leum stainless and repainted mine so it looks nice and new.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
the left side of the roof right in front of the latch looks like it might be bending downward, doesn't look straight, that how mine looked. I couldn't tell there was rot until I peeled the covering off, there was aluminum on both sides so you couldn't see it. I left the aluminum covering off the inside figuring it was just trapping moisture.
You stove almost looks like you could grill on it, doesn't look like the stoves in all the old ones I've seen. Mine was "stainless" like that, I found a can of rust-o-leum stainless and repainted mine so it looks nice and new.

never thought about that...

looks like the fridge might be no-good...the waterpump made noise..all the lights inside work...shore-power works at all outlets and the dang thing already has an onboard-battery charger for the 12vt onboard battery!!!

got the cart made..(rolls VERY nice!!..pushed it around by myself)..broke a jack (broke a sheer pin tryin to get the foot off..its fixable..just gotta dig the grease out!)

IMG00979.jpg

IMG00978.jpg

gotter put in the garage and opened up..sprayed for bugs again..plan on gettin it cleaned out inside..then start the tear-off to get to the damage and repair it...should be a couple weeks..I'll update as I do stuff..

D

Deleted member 9101

Congrats on finding such a great deal. With a little repairs and a good bath that will be awesome.

If It was me, I would paint it to mach the truck....lol

eugene

Explorer
My fridge worked for a little bit, but it had to be perfectly level to do anything.
Mine doesn't have a battery charger or battery but I put my 'house' battery under the hood of the truck anyway to help balance out the weight some. I'm working on integrating what I can into the truck so I still have some gear for trips without the camper.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well spent today piddlin around in the camper...tearin out some of the bad..cleanin up dead ants..and gennerally sprayin for bugs/explorin the cabinets...

theres a ton of storage..

waterpump works and clorinated the holding tank..SWEET!

the fridge DOES work on 120vt..gonna test it on 12vt..then when I wheel it outside I will check the propane...but im gonna guess it works too!!

still tryin to figure out what to do inside...I saw someone who used new walpaper to cover the dated wood look...so the wifes been given that job..hope she doesnt pick pink..:elkgrin:

IMG00982.jpg

IMG00980.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Very cool, Very nice!

I saw one of these once, in better condition, would have required no reno if you wanted to just take it and go, and it was for free! They had dropped it off at the Dump in Aspen Colorado. The thing at that dump is that as space was at a premium, if you had something that someone else might want you could dump it in a certain area for free, then someone could come and pick it up. SO sad, I sure wished I had a truck that day! It was super nice. Had the legs and everything. They would let things sit out there for two weeks, and I was hauling dirt into the landfill that day. Showed up around 3 or 4 PM, and when they closed at 6 it was gone.

Yeah... Rich people through away nice stuff!

Anyhow, just reminded me...sigh. Best of luck, I am sure this is going to be a beautiful camper!

eugene

Explorer
Someone else on here had one that was hit by a tree and damages and insurance replaced it and it was bulldozed, it looked better than mine.

I've started replacing the siding on mine, Lowes has rolls of Vinyl flashing 20" wide for $50. I roll it across and glue it down and overlap the next layer by an inch or two. I used it on the sides of the roof last year. just finished the door.

Ohh, one more quick tip, the bolts that hold the jacks on, I tack welded the nuts to the bracket on the back, that way I can get them with just one wrench instead of two, makes it easier to get the bolt off. I don't even swing mine up anymore, take them off and slide them in the truck bed over top the fenders now.

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
NICE FIND!!!!!!!!! :wings: I think you will like the Skamper. I have the smaller one, and love it. Mines an 89, and found it in decent shape. It works great, and gotta love the price!

Great work so far, and keep the picts coming. BTW, I am SO jealous on the fridge! haha I tore out my icebox, and am using a cooler right now.

Cheers!

Paul

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
mah rott...

IMG00984.jpg

IMG00983.jpg

floor rott
IMG00986.jpg

less rott
IMG00987.jpg

IMG00988.jpg

IMG00989.jpg

cut the sides square and gotta get the materials list and head to the store!!

soon,,,very soon!!

VicHanson

Adventurer
I can relate to all the pics of wood rot! I just got the new aluminum siding on mine yesterday (Shadow Cruiser), now finishing up all the trim pieces and the storage and garage doors. Has taken me almost 4 months, have one more week to finish it then have to hit the road.
Have fun!
Vic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94