Scope creep on replacing solar charge controller

dlichterman

Explorer
How do I tell what bypass diodes I have? I'm guessing I'd need to open up the box on the back of the panel and look for something that appears diode like?

dlichterman

Explorer
Thats one way to know.
But fwiw, Virtually all 'ally framed glass solarmodules made in the past 20+ years have built in bypass diodes.

Based on their website it seems they do have them. So it seems that I should switch to wire them both in series to the new controller.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel/

I guess with the new controller I'll be able to see the voltage and charge rate and everything...which is part of the reason I went with it!

dlichterman

Explorer
I just finished up fitting two of those onto a camper.
I went lazy with this job, Just series connection, spliced on the roof. Years ago I would have all elaborate with series/parallel switching among other overly complex electrojackassery. While thats loads of fun to build and operate, I soon lose interest. Then just open the door to switch on lights, and plug in my superphone.
Anyway, as far as controller. At Sally Ann, I found NIB Rich Solar 20A MPPT what appears identical to Renogy Rover 20A MPPT, dunno, if its otherwise identical. Its Ok, But were it not a screaming 10$ deal, I would not be happy with it.
Aside from battery type, 12-24V, and load output functions, it needs computer and RS232 connection or bluetooth module to access its customising functions.
Its also a too large for the space available. I had to mount it horizontal.

When you say splicing - do you mean just hooking up 2 of the connectors from the panels together with the other two going to the charge controller? I don't need to do anything crazy right?

dlichterman

Explorer
Right, Just 2 conductors penetrate the roof. Series spliced by pluggging MC4 connectors.

Cool - yeah I have a Y connector thing right now, that I will just remove and hook up the connectors as such and it should just work! Where's amazon! I'm antsy to get it set up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles