Schutt Industries - Xventure Owners

Chorky

Observer
Been thinking really hard about placing an order to tow behind the TJ. Its not the optimum set-up but probably works for the 75% of the time.

Anyone tow one behind a TJ? I wish they were narrower and had the same width and track width. I'm curious how much the 13" width will negatively affect things since trailer tires won't follow in the same tracks?

Is Schutt willing to make any changes from their basic options list or is it better to order a 'blank' canvas and customize from there? I dont have a good place currently to do much work myself still.

View attachment 668142
Packed up and ready to roll.

What's the length of your canoe? I'm looking at maybe picking up a 12' kayak.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Been thinking really hard about placing an order to tow behind the TJ. Its not the optimum set-up but probably works for the 75% of the time.

Anyone tow one behind a TJ? I wish they were narrower and had the same width and track width. I'm curious how much the 13" width will negatively affect things since trailer tires won't follow in the same tracks?

Is Schutt willing to make any changes from their basic options list or is it better to order a 'blank' canvas and customize from there? I dont have a good place currently to do much work myself still.

That's a 14' Hornbeck Nomad Solo/Tandem, weighs just 28lbs. On an XV-2.

TwinStick

Explorer

I do not own one but I have looked at them in person & crawled in, over & under them checking them out & have watched every video there is on YouTube about them. I have not read or seen ANYTHING negative about them, build quality or towing wise. They are without a doubt the most HD well made off-road trailer I have ever seen. There was someone with a 4 door jeep that towed over 10,000 miles with one, much of it off road & had nothing but good things to say about how it towed & worked for them. If the trailer width will fit & your Jeep can make it, the trailer will follow. Good luck on your quest.

Superpanga

I can't speak to the TJ / track width component. Give OK4WD in Stewartsville NJ a call- they are dealers but also real users and builders of rigs. Their insight was really helpful for me.

I am really happy with the construction of the XV3, especially the core trailer itself. I am excited to fit it out how we want now. In terms of fully loaded vs a la carte build, here are some of my thoughts:

I bought our XV3 pretty fully configured from Schutt/OK4WD and now I am starting in on the interior organization plan and other things I felt were in my skill level (and space as I do not have a garage to work in either!). If I were doing it over there are some things I would rather leave to an upfitter like OK4WD or DIY or local trades. These include:

-Doing it again, I would not use any of the Schutt electric box components (charger/solar charger/switches) but would rather see something more flexible and more robust like a RedArc system. I will likely swap mine out and I am only mad at myself for not doing it that way to begin with. Also, it seems to be a big oversight not to have any ports (USB or cig) in the electric cabinet. (Mod to come!) Doing it again, I would have ordered all the lighting/wiring package and just left the electric bay empty to add in a Redarc Redvision system. Schutt did a nice job with placement and routing, I just am not impressed by the switch/fuse/solar controller setup. And more ports, I want more.

-While the rhinorack is a nice visual match, I think a welded rack would have served me better. I am worried about the flex at the corners of the modular rack. With a RTT on the rack, I can't use any of the extrusions/grooves anyway. Thought about trying to mount it upside down in fact! Also, it might be worth checking which Rhinorack you are getting if you go that way as we found out later we have the old version installed, even though it was a 2021 order.

-We took delivery with a Rhino Batwing, which promptly destroyed itself on deployment in a light breeze that none of my ARB awnings would have blinked at. I would skip that and either go with an ARB straight awning or a solid aluminum-framed 270 awning like the Ostrich Wing (which we did) or similar. The issue is height of the awning. So either taller brackets (see also welded rack) or stay short like I am (5'7"and I can walk under it just fine.

-I ordered the spare tire carrier and have a full size spare. Since I matched the tire sizes with the Jeep, I feel like I am just carrying around extra weight now as we have two spares. I would probably skip this if doing it again, especially as the lighter I can keep this rig the better re: Jeep tow capacity.

Small things:
-the "reverse" Rigid rack-mounted light is exactly where everyone's forehead seems to go- I feel like we've nearly concussed a few people. I will be relocating this light to underneath the rack and off to the driver's side so its beam can clear the spare.

-I added amber covers to the rack lighting for at-camp use since the white is really bright.

-There is a bright white LED strip over the galley box that I am not sure what it's purpose is. I may add an inline switch so it can be ******** off at camp.

-The placement of the quick release for the shower hose seems odd to me. It is over by the electric panel. I will be relocating it and would suggest that it is moved if I were ordering again. The controls are essentially on the opposite side, by the galley box and something forward facing there might make more sense.

-With the redarc system, a water tank level monitor could be added to the water tank, and I'd ask for that to be installed at build if possible.

All of this said- it is a solid built trailer and Schutt clearly knows how to build something robust. Any of my notes are really about systems and only you will know what you might want or need. And no matter what, at delivery, you will find you want to mess it all up and start over. Like a jeep.

Superpanga

Question for anyone who has installed fridge slides or other systems- di you mount directly through the trailer bed, install on a plywood plate, something else?

I am torn between installing a full plywood plate, fastened through the drain holes or via cut-outs at the tie-downs, vs installing directly to the trailer bed, drilling holes....

Thoughts?

JBSTRD

The previous owner of mine used Rivnuts to mount it directly to the bed. It’s an ARB 63qt. And I have a 2015 XV-2. It’s solid after several years of use.

The original owner talks about the fridge slide and mounting bed tracks in this thread (Posts #126 & 127):

Last edited:

Superpanga

The previous owner of mine used Rivnuts to mount it directly to the bed. It’s an ARB 63qt. And I have a 2015 XV-2. It’s solid after several years of use.

The original owner talks about the fridge slide and mounting bed tracks in this thread (Posts #126 & 127):

Thanks- yes, that's pretty much what I am thinking. Had a chat with Tim at Schutt also who thought rivnuts would be fine- and likely the only choice around the water tank area.

Superpanga

Simple project-

Added some L-Track to the passenger-side fender for some outboard cargo options. I decided not to mount them to the top surface but to stay below on the angle in order to retain a full "counter"without obstructions. Mounted fore and aft.

Next up to install L-track into the bed in order to mount some sliders.

PXL_20210908_211224443.PORTRAITsm.jpgPXL_20210908_211411361.PORTRAIT.jpg

pointnshoot

Picked up a loaded 2017 XV-2 from another member a few months ago and have since added some Black Rhino Arsenals, 35” Ridge Grapplers, a Dometic CFX3 35 fridge, and a custom wrap.

I also found a simple way to quiet down the rack with these little wedges. They work great to keep things quiet when you set up camp or if the rack is in the lowest position they will stay wedged while you are moving.

Loving the trailer so far and looking forward to getting a few winter trips down south.
View attachment 633435
View attachment 633432View attachment 633433View attachment 633434
Great looking trailer. If you don’t mind me asking who designed your wrap? They did a killer job!

Last edited:

jareda80

Great looking trailer. If you don’t mind me asking who designed your wrap? They did a killer job!

Thanks. I’ve since sold the trailer and picked up a Mission Overland but loved it while I had it. My buddy designed, printed and installed the wrap here in Salt Lake.

Superpanga

Installed a 60x20 slide in the trailer yesterday. I decided to go with a full-bed length slider vs a fridge slide for flexibility. With a fridge mounted I can get to the area behind easily (might build a pantry box for example.) I am weighing adding a second slider to the right now.

Installation was easy, though I hated making holes it the trailer! Through bolted along the outside edge where I had access and used rivnuts over the water tank where access is blind.

PXL_20210914_162043567.jpgPXL_20210914_172134399.jpgPXL_20210914_172037299.jpg

Superpanga

Next up- rigid MOLLE panel wall for the passenger side. As part of this I'll install a 12v outlet box with USB and cig lighter ports.

Test fit today.

Attachments

• PXL_20210927_181632294.jpg
    PXL_20210927_181632294.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31

Nklxwcyz

Has anyone tried to retrofit a lithium battery in place of their AGMs in an XV-2?

I haven’t been able to find any Xventure-specific posts on this topic on the forums or broader web. Talking with the good folks at Schutt, my impression is they’re interested in lithium but aren’t able to confirm either way.

I know I’ll need a new charge controller but apart from that will this be a simple plug and play? I’m really hoping the existing wiring that supports the Odyssey AGM/GZ Yeti/sPOD setup is sufficient.

My Odyssey is toast and I don’t mind losing the ability to chain the Yeti so now may be a good time to move to lithium.

The Fly Fishing Nomad is also trying to sort this out.

Thanks, everyone.

Nklxwcyz and I have been trading messages about upgrading the XVenture AGM batteries to lithium. I thought I'd pass on this info. If you're switching to lithium batteries and have a shore power port, and if you use it, on your trailer you need to upgrade the NOCO battery charger. You need a Genius5, all older Genius chargers will not work with and may damage lithium batteries. I'm upgrading my system to two Battleborn 100amp lithium batteries and been learning as the project progresses. Anyone doing the same that has questions of advice let me know.

Hey, what switch did you use for the LED strip in the box? I'm looking to switch all the Rigid lights on the Rhino rack. I don't need four on when just one will do. I've found what looks like a good option on McMaster-Carr website, its dust and water resistant. I checked Amazon but I'm not putting trust in an $8-10 switch.
I can't speak to the TJ / track width component. Give OK4WD in Stewartsville NJ a call- they are dealers but also real users and builders of rigs. Their insight was really helpful for me.

I am really happy with the construction of the XV3, especially the core trailer itself. I am excited to fit it out how we want now. In terms of fully loaded vs a la carte build, here are some of my thoughts:

I bought our XV3 pretty fully configured from Schutt/OK4WD and now I am starting in on the interior organization plan and other things I felt were in my skill level (and space as I do not have a garage to work in either!). If I were doing it over there are some things I would rather leave to an upfitter like OK4WD or DIY or local trades. These include:

-Doing it again, I would not use any of the Schutt electric box components (charger/solar charger/switches) but would rather see something more flexible and more robust like a RedArc system. I will likely swap mine out and I am only mad at myself for not doing it that way to begin with. Also, it seems to be a big oversight not to have any ports (USB or cig) in the electric cabinet. (Mod to come!) Doing it again, I would have ordered all the lighting/wiring package and just left the electric bay empty to add in a Redarc Redvision system. Schutt did a nice job with placement and routing, I just am not impressed by the switch/fuse/solar controller setup. And more ports, I want more.

-While the rhinorack is a nice visual match, I think a welded rack would have served me better. I am worried about the flex at the corners of the modular rack. With a RTT on the rack, I can't use any of the extrusions/grooves anyway. Thought about trying to mount it upside down in fact! Also, it might be worth checking which Rhinorack you are getting if you go that way as we found out later we have the old version installed, even though it was a 2021 order.

-We took delivery with a Rhino Batwing, which promptly destroyed itself on deployment in a light breeze that none of my ARB awnings would have blinked at. I would skip that and either go with an ARB straight awning or a solid aluminum-framed 270 awning like the Ostrich Wing (which we did) or similar. The issue is height of the awning. So either taller brackets (see also welded rack) or stay short like I am (5'7"and I can walk under it just fine.

-I ordered the spare tire carrier and have a full size spare. Since I matched the tire sizes with the Jeep, I feel like I am just carrying around extra weight now as we have two spares. I would probably skip this if doing it again, especially as the lighter I can keep this rig the better re: Jeep tow capacity.

Small things:
-the "reverse" Rigid rack-mounted light is exactly where everyone's forehead seems to go- I feel like we've nearly concussed a few people. I will be relocating this light to underneath the rack and off to the driver's side so its beam can clear the spare.

-I added amber covers to the rack lighting for at-camp use since the white is really bright.

-There is a bright white LED strip over the galley box that I am not sure what it's purpose is. I may add an inline switch so it can be ******** off at camp.

-The placement of the quick release for the shower hose seems odd to me. It is over by the electric panel. I will be relocating it and would suggest that it is moved if I were ordering again. The controls are essentially on the opposite side, by the galley box and something forward facing there might make more sense.

-With the redarc system, a water tank level monitor could be added to the water tank, and I'd ask for that to be installed at build if possible.

All of this said- it is a solid built trailer and Schutt clearly knows how to build something robust. Any of my notes are really about systems and only you will know what you might want or need. And no matter what, at delivery, you will find you want to mess it all up and start over. Like a jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles