School me on the topic of toilets ;)

draganof

Observer
I have to ask a question that has not been asked concerning compost toilets. Okay no urine I got that part. How do you clean the bowl after each use? Unless you are a marksman with your droppings then there will be some material left on the bowl. I for one want a water flush to handle that task.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I have to ask a question that has not been asked concerning compost toilets. Okay no urine I got that part. How do you clean the bowl after each use? Unless you are a marksman with your droppings then there will be some material left on the bowl. I for one want a water flush to handle that task.
I have not used mine yet but if you look at my pic the sides are shallow. Your waste is going into a 5 gallon bucket with sawdust or core. There is not really a bowl just a hole that goes to the bucket.
Kevin

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
One of the Selling Points

Actually, the fact that you usually don't have to do any cleaning at all is one of the best points about these toilets. Some folks keep a spray of water and vinegar to flush the urine passages from time to time, but that is about it.

If you do happen to miss a bit, a baby wipe or similar is all you need; a lot simpler than cleaning a wet toilet.

The main feces bucket should not be cleaned as you need a bit of fecal material to restart the composting. If you are using the toilet in a wet bath you do have to clean the seal when reloading to assure that you have no leakage.

Again, you may not choose to install one, but the simple point is that they do work and work well.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Can I ask a bit about the mechanics of usage? You urinate and defecate into different tanks. Is there a trucker's-buddy like port for peeing in and then you defecate into the "bowl?" How easy is it for women to use, and more to the point, how easy is it for a 4 or 5 year old girl to use? One of the reasons I went with a big camper was that I have two small daughters and being out-numbered 3-1 by girls, digging a hole was no longer a winning strategy.

My wife can figure it out and manage, but could a small child be disciplined enough to keep the feces dry, or am I looking at having to wait until both girls are in the 6+ range to change over to one of these?

Hiya
The reason we went for a Separett Villa was because it comes with a kids seat :) Still in the box as yet though. Pic in this link- http://www.eco-toilets.co.uk/shop/villa-9000-toilet/

Ramdough

Adventurer
I came up with a few questions for the group.

The Separrett and Nature's head both have an exhaust fan that runs continually.

I was looking at having an exhaust fan in the same bathroom area over the shower. Has anyone ever experienced. Problem where the exhaust fan over powered the toilet fan and brought in odors?

Also, I was looking at applying a positive pressure to the camper when driving. I would draw air using a fan through a filtered inlet near the top of the camper between the cab and camper. Would having the vented toilet potentially negate the benefit of pressurizing the camper?

What do you all think?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

My Separett is still waiting to be fitted :(

But, I had been thinking that since there is negative pressure behind a vehicle when driving that the vent from the toilet, if vented through the back wall, might produce its own suction?

If you mean directly between cab and camper that might also mean negative pressure, and/or possible engine smells entering the camper?

I suppose which fan wins depends on how air tight the camper is as a whole. If the only way for air to enter or exit are the two vents you mention in your bathroom then it will just be which ever fan is more effective. The 24v fan I was given from Separett is just a small pc fan.

If you had a window open at the time then they would probably both extract normally?

As mentioned elsewhere, the main reason for the fan within the toilet seems to be to dry out the contents. I don't suppose it matters much which way the wind is blowing for that at least to take place?

You can run the toilet vent anywhere you like, but from memory two 90 degree bends only are allowed for it still to move enough air, and it's about a 3" pipe. If you ran that straight up and out of the toilet roof you could use the same fan for both, with a Y splitting the pipes so sucking from both the toilet base and from the ceiling area in the shower? Or a weaker constant fan complementing a stronger one during showering, but pushing the same way out of the same hole?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I was looking at having an exhaust fan in the same bathroom area over the shower. Has anyone ever experienced. Problem where the exhaust fan over powered the toilet fan and brought in odors?

... Would having the vented toilet potentially negate the benefit of pressurizing the camper?

I have a Nature's Head in a small bath with an exhaust fan. The short answer to your question is "no." There are many reasons for this, but the simple fact is that unless you have a problem, there is simply no odor to draw in. We used to demo our Tiger a lot and one of the classic demos is to ask: "What is the one thing that they tell you never to do with an RV toilet?" The answer is, of course, to open the flap and then turn on the exhaust fan. This normally draws in a gagging miasma from the slurry of feces and urine in the black tank. At hit point I would open the flap on the Nature's Head, turn on the exhaust fan, pass people a flashlight, and step out of the way.

Unless you have a serious water leak into your Nature's Head, which is only a possibility in a wet bath, the beast is odorless.

The exhaust fan is a tiny computer fan, but it is enough to keep the air circulating and it keeps the toilet under slightly negative pressure. The result is a toilet that is more odorless than the toilet in your home.

If you succeed in really pressurizing the camper it will simply leak a bit through the toilet, which will reduce odor even more.

As you might guess, we would never bother with conventional black tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles