School me on RTT

98dango

Expedition Leader
OK so I know very little about them. The wife and I have done trailers, toppers,campers ground tents. We dismissed a RTT when we lived in Montana and did 90% of our camping ended up in the snow. We moved away from a ground tent due to snakes. My wife woke up to the call at 3 am only to find a snake on her sleeping bag. After that never got her to sleep on the ground. So we tried many setups none 100%. I am now to the point I can have a dedicated truck I have 2 choices have not decided yet. However I think that now living in Arizona again a RTT is a good option.

I do have a few questions and I'm sure I'll think of tons more.

1. How hard are they to move. Say we move it from truck to trailer can 2 guys move one like moving a topper.

2. How well do they really do in wind.

3. Rain we get monsoon rains do I need a extra cover.

4. Those of you that own them what brand would you buy it again.

5. Do you actually use the lower room or is it not worth extra money.

6. 90% of the time it's the wife and I 500 lbs 530 if we add dogs.

7. We go at least 20 times a year are there things that wear out or need extra attention.

Like I said I know nothing about them it would be mounted on a fullsize blazer type or p/u truck.

surferdude78

Observer
I've got one of the Tepui Ruggedized tents after doing a lot my share of research & can't be happier with it. Mine is the standard Kukenam Expedition Orange which is easy to manage moving around by 2 of us but they do make a larger XL model that looks big enough to hold a party inside. They also offer an extended version with annex. Either way, have no problem carrying either on your truck.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
To answer your questions:

1. They are difficult to move. Even the Autohome carbon-fiber model is over 80 pounds; most are 120 or more, especially since, if the two of you total 500 pounds, you'll want one of the large folding models, not a clamshell type.

2. While there's no chance of them blowing away, and the canvas models are very sturdy, fly awnings are rarely secured well and flap a lot.

3. Depends on the model. Most canvas folding models include a fly.

4. Haven't owned any, just reviewed them. Almost any of the South African models are excellent.

5. The changing room is nice if you're in a crowded camp and need privacy. Adds a lot to the time and complexity of pitching and take down.

7. The better canvas (and clamshell) models are very durable.

Several things to consider, plus and minus-wise.

You save cargo space in the vehicle.
If camped in mud it's much easier to keep your accommodations clean.

On the other hand:

Even the biggest rooftop tent is no larger than a generous backpacking tent, yet weighs ten times as much and put the weight in the worst possible position. For the money (and weight) you could buy a high-quality (snakeproof) cabin tent with standing headroom, plus a fridge, plus a nice chuck box and a few other things. The air resistance is significant as well.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm going to echo much of what Jonathan mentioned. I've been using the James Baroud Horizon Vision for the past few months and you can read my impressions here and here.

1) I think they're usually a major pain to take on and off, but some of the lighter tents at 88-100 pounds are far easier than most. Some tents are over 145 pounds and a big chore for even two big guys if the roofline is high.

2) Some tents are more impacted by wind than others. The JB tents are tested in winds up to 70 mph. Other tents seem to struggle in even mild breezes.

3) I think here again weatherproofness is variable by manufacturer, but there's nothing to say a good RTT can't endure weather's worst, even a bit of snow.

4) Given your proposed amount of use, I would recommend avoiding some of the lesser priced tents aimed at the casual user. AutoHome, James Baroud, Eezi-Awn, and the other premium brands are always a safe bet. Tepui is also making great tents.

5) I'm not a fan of the room enclosure simply because they're huge when stored in the vehicle and most are a pain to set up. File that under my personal opinion as I know others love them. I move too much day to day to endure the headache.

6)

Box Rocket

You don't need a hard case tent or be worried about high winds with a Tepui tent. How about some real world testing in 100mph sandstorm?

http://youtu.be/RGTe-zGjdJo

Snow...shmow. :)
Snow_zpsbd0ff1d0.jpg

Tepui Tents has you covered at a fraction of the cost of many of the other premium options.
I think people have already described the challenge of moving them around by yourself. My trick is a flat funiture dolly. I can move and mount/dismount the tent on my Tacoma all by myself with the help of the dolly. I roll the tent over to the truck and place the base of the tent against the open tailgate. Then I lift the tent straight up onto the tailgate so the base of the tent is now against the bedrack and the rear of the tent is on the tailgate. Then it's just a matter of tipping it down onto the bedrack. Reverse process for removal. The dolly allows me to roll the tent into a corner of the garage for storage with little effort.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

For me the benefits of the RTT over a quality ground tent are all about convenience and room. The setup of the RTTs is quick and if you leave the bedding inside the tent you're ready to climb into bed while others are still fiddling with tent poles of their ground tents. No need to pack extra cots or pads. No need to worry about rocks or stumps on the ground under where you sleep. If it rains, it rains. No need to worry about a river of water running under the tent where I'm sleeping like you need to with a ground tent. Up and off the ground makes for a cleaner tent.
There is still the reality of the added weight of the tent typically mounted high on a vehicle. You must be aware of the changes in driving dynamics, but for me that's a small sacrifice to gain all the other benefits.

98dango

Expedition Leader
All of my trucks are big and drive as such 200 lbs mounted on the roof has almost zero effects on its handling. I think things said hear my own reading for the last few months have me sold on this. It will be on a 90% dedicated to camping truck possible removal for trails where I just won't need it and then it will be on a trailer.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I'm all for the Tepui, but--

Not on the jeep, way to restrictive and trip limiting, boats/camping gear-etc and being able to USE THE jeep while camping, so

Just putit on trailer--problems solved

004_zps664c519e.jpg

Tepuiladderup-down003_zps478790cc.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Box Rocket

:sombrero: I'm all for the Tepui, but--

Not on the jeep, way to restrictive and trip limiting, boats/camping gear-etc and being able to USE THE jeep while camping, so

Just putit on trailer--problems solved

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Or just get one for the truck and another for the trailer. :) problem solved.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm getting away from towing stuff. I use a bigger rig that yes fits almost every where and take less stuff.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
We moved away from a ground tent due to snakes. My wife woke up to the call at 3 am only to find a snake on her sleeping bag. After that never got her to sleep on the ground.

Why not zipper the tent shut? Every tent I've owned has one... They work.

JeeperJake

Observer
Tepui for me

Hello, finally subscribed to the site that i am constantly searching for answers to my questions, so i thought i would share some insight in one that I have a small bit of experience in.

I'll start off saying I use to camp primarily on the ground as well and had no real issues and loved almost all trips spent on the ground. The major drawback for me was the time it took to look for and clear a suitable spot for a ground tent. We do most of our camping off the beaten path or on a very beaten path (sleeping on sandstone in Moab).

I have since and for the last 18 months been heavily using our Tepui RTT and can hardly say a bad word towards them. We have the standard Kukenam Expedition Orange like surferdude78 and absolutely love it. Here is my 2 cents (more like 20 cents) on your questions.

1. How hard are they to move. Say we move it from truck to trailer can 2 guys move one like moving a topper. My wife and I installed ours together onto our roofrack with a little struggling. But my frined and i unloaded it for the season with little work. Ours is about 165 lbs when the annex is attached. I opted for the annex later on after getting tired of getting dressed lying down. :) It makes a great changing room with direct access to whatever door of your vehicle it covers (if any). It was nice that i could add on so I wasn't spending all the $ upfront and once i did get it, I was more appreciative of the addition having been without for 5 months.

2. How well do they really do in wind.
I cannot speak for other others, but the Tepui has 2 sides of the same coin. Like others they are tested in high winds and for this they perform very well. We have been out multiple nights with extremely high winds and we have yet to have any of the tension rods fail. The Kukenam rain fly is also directly attached to the support beams so it cannot fly away. (or be taken off). This feature (the rain fly) also provides a shade structure above your tent so you don't wake up baking on a HOT summer morning at 6 AM when the sun comes up. As to the other side as mentioned in this thread is the noise. When we button everything down on a windy night there is a lot of flapping going on. I have since learned to put all the windows out with the tension rods and this provides less flapping. But is you are a light sleeper I would suggest some ear plugs. All in all they seem extremely sturdy.

3. Rain we get monsoon rains do I need a extra cover. These (at least mine and others i have seen) come with an attached rain fly the cannot be detached. This has provided great coverage and in the few windy rainstorms we have encountered we have yet to get wet.

4. Those of you that own them what brand would you buy it again. I have only owned this Tepui tent and thus far it has exceeded my expectations. But if I bought again I would buy the Autana Ruggedized as it encloses the entire annex. With ours you have to climb out and then walk in. This version was not available when i bought mine.

5. Do you actually use the lower room or is it not worth extra money.
We us this room as stated above for a changing room and storage for our gear. I will include some pics. I really like not having to sleep next to all my gear at night and my wife loves having the ability to change when we are camping with a group without climbing up and down the ladder into and out of the tent.

6. 90% of the time it's the wife and I 500 lbs 530 if we add dogs.
My wife and I are about 320 and have had no issues as of yet. The sturdiness really depends on your rack and how you mount it to your roof. We have a Gobi Rack for our JK and it also has exceeded expectations. as long as you have a sturdy base that is rated to support your weight plus that of the tent you will be fine, As you primarily sleep on the side attached to the roof and let your legs "dangle" with the overhang of the tent which is all supported as well by the ladder.

7. We go at least 20 times a year are there things that wear out or need extra attention. We have gone about 25 nights in this season and I have yet to see anything wear out. The fabric does shift a little but if it does come out of it's slots it is very easily put back in.

Like I said I know nothing about them it would be mounted on a fullsize blazer type or p/u truck. Should fit your vehicle just fine as long as it has a sturdy base.

I would also like to add a few things about how we use the Tepui. The main feature i like is the ease it takes to set up. I unzip, pull out the ladder, flip open the tent, and then send the wife up to put up the windows. Done.
The comfort is also top notch. We purchased a double sleeping bag and have keep it in the tent at all times(it folds right up with a little elbow grease). It is a little tight for the cover but fits well once you get use to it. (i am working on a different tie down system that allows for a little more force to be applied without causing the simple velcro straps to fail) This will make it even easier to close with extra bedding inside a believe. I will update once in have installed.
I have also closed everything up with the annex still attached with no problems(this makes the total deployment even faster). There is more room in those covers than you would think.
With the tent being off the ground, there is no limit to where you can sleep comfortably. Sleep on the top of a giant boulder or in a rock garden as we have. Or in a wet marshland or snow, it makes no difference with these tents.

Again just my rants and raves but take what you will. I won't go back to ground tents anytime soon if ever (backpacking is a separate beast). Hope this helps!

Cheers

SKB waterproof boxes store all our clothes for this week long trip to Horseshoe Canyon
20141004_140900.jpg
Basecamp
20141001_090930.jpg
You can sort of see the Boxes inside the Annex. This is where all of our clothes and other essentials were.
20140929_175850.jpg
All washed up!
20141004_192255.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94