School Me on my custom camper idea

seeker15

So I have been toying with this for a while but want to run it by the experts. First of all I’m cheap. I have a ‘95 F350 crew cab 4x4 that I want to do some light exploring with. If it was up to me I would just sleep in the bed on a backpacking mat and call it a day. Family (wife and two boys) wants more comfort like an RV. I was thinking about getting a nice camper. But my wife really wants to be able to walk through. My questions:
1) is it safe/legal for my kids to crawl rear window to get into the camper? Can it be sealed so no pinching happened? Lol.
2) what if I popped out the back window and made in opening like in the attached photo? What would need to be done?
3) would it be possible to make a removable door in the back of the truck to walk/crawl through? What would need to be done? Any builders that could do this for me? Better if they are in socal...
4) another random question. Are there any campers that can make it through drive thrus? Contemplating traveling but still doing social distancing.
thanks for helping me figure this out!
15a9ae40f8f7ab26f57b3bdc10e70a49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quickfarms

Adventurer
Removing the back window and using an accordion boot to connect the camper to the truck cab is not a problem.

This is how the sleeper on a 18 wheeler is connected to the cab if it is not integrated into the cab.

Your truck probably is fun in a drive through now.

If you went with a pop up style camper it is possible in some drive throughs as long as the suspension and tires are stock.

Darwin

Explorer
I take it you will be leaving the camper 100% of the time? If not, I would ditch the idea of a "pass through" but that's my opinion, and I know it is a must have for some, though something I have never understood, but I also don't have kids.

If it's on 100% I think the full back window removal idea is probably the easiest.

cph05a

Crawling through a window is going to be a tight fit. You probably won't do it as much as you might think. I had a passthrough built on our custom camper and it uses an accordion material which works pretty well, but it's much taller than the back window originally was. Our was made by removing the rear glass and putting an aluminum plate and cutting a taller hole in the back of the truck and using the accordion material to bridge the gap. It wasn't cheap, but we were also going a bit beyond just removing the window and putting the accordion over it.

passthrough1.jpg
Passthrough in progress

passthrough2.jpg
Passthrough complete

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Try this option, perhaps?

It is a fully and easily removeable rear window for your truck.
You can either build a full width entry into your camper (They have a flexible “boot” kit sold there for that)...or remove the window and build your own framed smaller crawl thru.

DB61C649-7B93-4659-9091-9B2683A60E93.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online