School me on diesel fuel systems

FellowTraveler

Explorer
6.2 diesels all are good, early non turbo 6.5 good, early turbo 6.5 not so good May 1999 and newer 6.5 td is a NAVISTAR and the best. Mechanical pumps are every reliable providing you use something to lube the system so the low sulfur does not destroy your injection pump, injectors or lift pump I use 2 stroke oil added to the fuel. As for a lift pump keep it simple go w/block mounted unit not chassis electric. Cetane boosters mostly solvents cause wear! In extreme sub zero temps for long periods jet fuel mixed w/2 stroke is best.

DividingCreek

Explorer
why would anyone would strive for a non turbo diesel ? Diesels literally come alive when turbocharged. You can go with half the displacement and weight if you utilize a turbo diesel.

on another note not all diesels have injection pumps. The 300hp engines in my boat have no injection pumps or computer controls.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
A truck engine? It's a medium duty and the same weight as the majority of other medium duty diesels (Isuzu, Dodge, et al).

What? I can get 400-430 miles on ~21 gallons of diesel.

That is not going to happen in a 4.6.

That's pretty good. I had an M1009 Blazer with the J code 6.2 and it averaged under 20 a gallon on the road. In my 3.9 Range Rover, I have achieved 360 miles on a tank on the highway. When you factor in the greater cost per gallon of diesel, the numbers come closer from an overall cost standpoint.

aka rover

Adventurer
I would agree that putting a diesel in for just fuel savings is not a economic reality with the cost of the motor and the cost of the swap even if you do it yourself. The reason I swapped in a diesel to my series was the simplicity and the longevity and durability ,..and I drank the kool aid . I plan on doing a few more conversions just because I can :)

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Sounds good...except for the gelling in cold weather. At least in the US, diesel is blended for winter...just like gas.
There usually is no need for additives of any type.(Maybe we need to define "cold"?)
I was including winter blends as treated. I was trying to keep it very broad since there are so many detail variations.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
on another note not all diesels have injection pumps. The 300hp engines in my boat have no injection pumps or computer controls.
Interesting. What engines are they?

As for turbos, yeah. And they don't really add a significant amount of complexity. I'd much rather have a turbo that electronic fuel shutoff.

Mrk1

Adventurer
Interesting. What engines are they?

As for turbos, yeah. And they don't really add a significant amount of complexity. I'd much rather have a turbo that electronic fuel shutoff.

to me its either, small displacement with a turbo or large displacement NA. The 6.2 obviously fits the second

David Harris

Expedition Leader
to me its either, small displacement with a turbo or large displacement NA. The 6.2 obviously fits the second

Even the 6.2 really needs a turbo for all around use. I used to own a 6.2 Suburban and drove it all around the mountains in Colorado. It was a real dog at high altitudes, belching black smoke across the traffic jam forming behind me. Drove fine on the flats though.

Mrk1

Adventurer
I dont think a turbo is really in the cards for my swap, dont want to put the trans through that

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I dont think a turbo is really in the cards for my swap, dont want to put the trans through that

Right. That's the thing with the diesel swaps: Either you have to go with less power, like a 300 Tdi, 6.2, to keep from having to mod the rest of the drivetrain and keep the cost down, or go with a bigger/powerful motor and be forced to mod everything to stand up to it. The same goes for alternative V8 swaps. The bigger the motor, the less the fuel mileage advantage. Also, keep in mind that when you load the Rover up for a trip, the lower powered diesels will be slow vehicles, especially if you have air conditioning.

Mrk1

Adventurer
Well I have no AC plans and Im really hoping my Series 3 body gives me some room to work with in terms of weight.

redneck44

Adventurer
6.2 GM has 40 hp and around 40lbft torque more than a standard 200 tdi engine, a minor fuel pump tweak and your nearly equal.
200 tdi is a bombproof engine, a lot lighter and designed to fit.
Availability is your problem on your side of the pond though.
If you want all the fun of doing an engine swap then drop a cummins in there.

DividingCreek

Explorer
GM 8.2 liter 4 stroke v8's. Known as the "Fuel Sipper Series". Injectors are plunger operated off of the cam. 300hp @ 3000 rpm ea. Usually running after less than a 1/2 revolution after hitting starter button.

Do some reasearch on the 6.2 before you buy one. If I remember right, any manufactured before mid 85 were considered not worth retrofit or rebuilding do to inherent flaws.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles