School me about the latest brake controllers for off-road....

John E Davies

Adventurer
I would appreciate some recommendations for a brake controller for my '06 Ram 3500. I have a Jordan Ultima 2020 on my LX450 that is _wonderful_, but it's a long extinct product. And I am sure it's getting tired after 12 years, since it has a bike-type actuating cable and a rheostat inside that can wear out......

I put a Tekonsha P3 on a RAV4 in 2006. It was pretty darned good for an electronic unit, but every once in a while it seemed to get confused off pavement. I wonder if Tekonsha has made any changes in the design or logic since then, that would improve it's rough surface performance.

Should I just get a P3 and a Ram plug-and-play harness, or move my Jordan over to the Ram and hope it stays functioning?

Any other good choice?

Thanks for any comments about the latest (available) controllers. BTW I want to stay below about US$150. eTrailer.com has the P3 and harness for $153 shipped.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

BoarderMX

Observer
I have a P3 on my '13 jeep with trailer. So far, it has performed wonderfully both on and offroad. I like the manual option on it as well for dragging the trailer over a rock. Coming back from my latest trip, a 4 car accident unfolded (or should say folded up) right in front of us on the Pacheco pass in California and had I not had trailer brakes and a good controller we would have wound up in the mix instead of stopping right before it. The Prodigy P3 gets my thumbs up.

vicali

Adventurer
I went with the P2, same guts without the display screen.. It works awesome so far.

I would think the off-road issues might be caused from bouncing around- the little bits inside to detect momentum are pretty delicate I would guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles