School me about Sikaflex?

dcguillory

Adventurer
Really wondering why this name is used above the thousand other caulk brands and what type you use for your metal applications.

flightcancled

Explorer
What I can tell you is that as I am more and more impressed with it the more I come across it in my build. I'm seeing stuff that is 22+ years old and it is still as good as the day it was applied. In one case when I was removing my solid aluminum trim screwed in every 6" I got to the last bolt and unscrewed it without anything happening. I grabbed a light and realized that a tiny bit of overlap was on the edge going a few feet of the run. After much prying and pulling I had to get under there with a razor and slice it free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneck44

Adventurer
Depending on the type, Sikflex is not just a caulk, it can be a structural adhesive as well as a caulk.
There are other brands that are similar 3M 5200 for example.

Don't confuse these with silicone bathroom/kitchen caulks that seal with a very weak bond.

java

Expedition Leader
Its fantastic, that is all.

Like mentioned, its an adhesive caulk, and is polyurethane. It holds up better than just about anything else. They make many different products, so matching the correct one to what your doing is important.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Adhesive silkaflex is what super glue wants to be after it grows up.
Wear gloves. It's not nicknamed "Seeking flesh" for nothing. ;)

Excellent for gluing windows into a camper shell. Sticks like glue (duh) and remains flexible enough not to transfer stress to the shell.

The Yak

Observer
I don't know about the present day, but I know that just a few years ago many UK caravan and motor caravan manufacturers used Silkaflex extensively.

There must be good reason for that.

Bob.
The Yak.

java

Expedition Leader
I don't know about the present day, but I know that just a few years ago many UK caravan and motor caravan manufacturers used Silkaflex extensively.

There must be good reason for that.

Bob.
The Yak.

Still many semi trailers in the US are bonded with Sika. Looks at the amount of rivetless trailers, some use VHB, some use sika.

Gonzzo

Observer
I have a love/hate relationship with sikaflex.

I headed a campain on some 200+ buses from a large metropolitan customer, we had to remove some interior panels held in place only with a few beads of sikaflex, long story short, that $#!+ is STRONG! , strong enough to hold an entire 40ft bus together. These same buses also had to have the top mount AC units removed and resealed with sikaflex. I lived and rolled around this stuff, 5 days a week, 11hrs a day, for 2+ yrs..... I HATE Sikaflex......yet, I have also learned to love the stuff simply because I was able to see how well it works.

Wanna do it right once?, use sikaflex.....just make sur you get it right the first time, that stuff is a !&#/@$!* PAIN to remove, only sharps will work, it is impervious to chemicals and temperatures. Tried gasoline.....nothing, tried lighting the gasoline....nothing.....tried sawsall (blade gums up)nothing, finally took razor blades to it, slow but steady.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier