Schattenjager's 1997 LX450

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Found a really handy solution for securing things in the back of the 80. My pup Atlas uses the rear passenger doors for ingress / egress so the tailgate is gear access exclusively. Using the shoulder bolts that held the seatbelt for the third row seating, I secured these handy velcro straps sourced from Home Depot. I've been using the heck out of them so thought you might find them useful too.

cba00ef0.jpg

7cf37078.jpg

73cdcbba.jpg

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Love the Cruiser! Just went exploring / ice climbing in the way out of Alaska. The Cooper ST's are really a great tire for the setup. I was pushing snow with the ARB bulbar in many places. I really appreciate the confidence and capability of the 80's
c03b4678.jpg
And while not a complete pic of a cruiser - there is a cruiser slider here:
Atlas awaits his human to open the door to adventure!
32f8cc85.jpg

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Is your basket the Load Warrior or the Mega Warrior?

Mega with Extension and three load bars. Light, strong and modular. WAY cheaper than the boutique offerings too.

Comes with a giant Scepter holder too! Tie down strap is there to keep it handy - it's not needed to hold the cans!
aef2e7e5.jpg

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Great looking truck! Any more data on the LT MAF? Were you having issues with the stock one?

Land Tank option is awesome. I was not having problems with the factory unit that presented codes but I did experience the rough idle common in 80's. After the LT MAS upgrade, the idle is smooth as glass, gas consumption is measurably down, and the drivability is improved with better throttle response and the perception of more power. Gas savings alone will pay for the mod. The pleasure of having instant, perceptible gratification from such a simple project - priceless!

Last edited:

2 E L O

Adventurer
Land Tank option is awesome. I was not having problems with the factory unit that presented codes but I did experience the rough idle common in 80's. After the LT MAS upgrade, the idle is smooth as glass, gas consumption is measurably down, and the drivability is improved with better throttle response and the perception of more power. Gas savings alone will pay for the mod. The pleasure of having instant, perceptible gratification from such a simple project - priceless!
That's good to hear... I have an ever so slight rough idle. I've been debating the LT MAF but the $380+ price tag stings a little...

94SRUNNER

Adventurer
2 E L O, I have the LT MAF housing and have been running it for almost 2.5yrs and can honestly say it is one of the best upgrades I have done to my 80. If you put any measurable amount of miles on your rig per year then you will see it pay for itself soon.

2 E L O

Adventurer
What kind of MPG increase are you guys seeing with the LT MAF? I average about 1,000 miles per month, gas is low right now but if we say it's an average of $3.50/gal, and I average about 13.0 mpg on a mixed city/highway tank, that's about $270/month for fuel.

If I installed the LT MAF, would I see a 1 mpg gain? 1.5 mpg? If I saw a 1 mpg increase in fuel mileage that's a simple payback of about 21 months. If it's 1.5 mpg increase the simple payback is about 15 months.

Hmmmmm......:coffee:...... That seems like a pretty good investment to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wings:

2 E L O

Adventurer
What kind of percentage increase is that for you? Were you getting 200 miles per tank before? 250 per tank before? 300 per tank before?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
What kind of MPG increase are you guys seeing with the LT MAF? I average about 1,000 miles per month, gas is low right now but if we say it's an average of $3.50/gal, and I average about 13.0 mpg on a mixed city/highway tank, that's about $270/month for fuel.

If I installed the LT MAF, would I see a 1 mpg gain? 1.5 mpg? If I saw a 1 mpg increase in fuel mileage that's a simple payback of about 21 months. If it's 1.5 mpg increase the simple payback is about 15 months.

Hmmmmm......:coffee:...... That seems like a pretty good investment to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wings:

Is your speedometer corrected for the tires or do you calculate your mileage by gps?

2 E L O

Adventurer
Is your speedometer corrected for the tires or do you calculate your mileage by gps?
I do the math manually and factor in the added distance due to the larger than stock tires. I also have an UltraGauge that I use, but I always do the math manually to double check and make sure the calibration on the UltraGauge is accurate. I get about 11mpg in town (low speed, constant stop and go, lots of hills) and about 15 mpg on the highway (55-70mph, mostly constant speed, minimal hills) with my nearly stock LX450...all mods are in my signature.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I just checked MPG on my Friday trip. 120 dirt, 60 of the 120 in low range and 195 highway at ~65mph
13.1 mpg GPS. Started as gas pump and ended at same pump. No LT parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles