Sceptor can leaks when I pour

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
What am I doing wrong?!
caa105ab594b17173fd6798df25b8c87.jpg

On the right is my tried and true NATO can of which I have three with the various spouts I use of which I might get a drop or two out of the all metal cheesy one. On the left is one of my newer sceptor cans with a commercial spout that flows slower and leaks like hell for the first second or two. Good air inflow happens and it quits then the last dregs it puts as much on the ground and truck as it does into the tank?! It's as tight as I can get it which is tight. Even out a strap wrench on it.
17726b81adbb2a677825cf574fd3217d.jpg
fuel is coming out of these holes which I take to be breather holes
4bb35aef93c1ff6005fc0410088dcc52.jpg
cd913993a5cf7f6048dce7279b223838.jpg

I tighten it and pour. Am I missing a step? An incantation or blessing perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks like it ought to have a gasket and what keeps gas from coming out of those peripheral holes in that cap, if the inner ring doesn't seat just so?

and btw, you keep cranking those lids on super tight and you will crack them. Then **** will really leak. That also goes for the factory caps on all MFCs / MWCs.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
There is an inner lip seal/oring
62eb7386fd5a3574ff3d3071363c7a6e.jpg

The holes in the cap line up sometimes with this breather hole in the can
3f162beeec39f19dc6babea00d405626.jpg

I'll take the advice on the cranking down.

Dang caps do not turn easy on the threads at all! The can cap or pour spout.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I can see a little cracking but I'm not talking about drips I'm talking bout a stream before the air going in overpowers the weep breatherhole going out

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Neat trick
77060479af83efb157d41feadcdcf3b0.jpg
292f49ed23624d9c24ca91d4cb4b8f3a.jpg
the nozzle part is press fit hard plastic to barbed hard plastic? I was trying to get o ring off without using a hook and it just came off in my hand.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
It's been over a decade since I was in the Army but that's not the traditional "Donkey ********" fuel spout. Did they change it recently or is this a commercial spout for a military can?
I never had a problem with the original ones leaking. Although finding a place to stow it after use that didn't stink everything up was a challenge.

s-l300.jpg

I think that big squishy O-Ring is expanding to cover the breather hole when you screw it down tight.

RDK13

Observer
I think your gasket on the spout is bad and needs to be replaced. Personally I don't use fuel spouts. I find that a syphon is much faster and a lot cleaner. I ordered a two pack from Amazon for $15. I have one marked for fuel and the other I use for my water cans.

81DX5jftcgL__SL1500_.jpg

Ray

Lucky j

Explorer
The breader must not be cover.

Gas is not coming from that hole. Some how, the treads or the place where the oring should be seating is not clean. Maybe a scratch.

I used to have the old metal style that was so great. Lost it. Dang! Had to go with the plastic type. Slower but still way faster than the syphon (got one too) but have to tighten it a litte. But no leek since have been doing this.

Also, your O ring looks a little cracked.

Good luck.
Anyone as a steel one for sale but at a reasonable price? And no, I would not pay for a unicorn price spout.

B

BPD53

Mine used to leak the same way. I rebuilt all the gaskets/O rings/flanges and now they no longer leak. I have almost as much money in the rebuild parts as I do the cans.

I discovered that certain o rings are not to used with gasoline. The gas eats them up. I purchased ones that are "safe" for gasoline.

I purchased the parts from a guy on eBay "jagmte". Hope it helps.

Good luck.

jschmidt

Adventurer
You need "Viton" material gaskets. The deisel/water gaskets can't survive gasoline.

But I believe (just from imagining how it works, that there might be some sort of floating seal disk missing from your cap design. It would stay down usually but pull up in vacuum.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
There's only one o ring that I can see so I guess I'll try my very best to snake it out undamaged

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Carmelpt is the gent I handed 9$ to for one. Ordered and on the way we will see how it does

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
The press fit barbed plastic bits is a trip. I'm tempted to glue it down but worry there is a reason it's put together that way. Some reason other than an engineer laughing into his beer thinking about aholes like me dumping fuel all over when it splits apart mid pour.

About the siphon. Used to be a fan. Simply takes to long. It's neat and I have one but I don't have racks near enough to make it work and if I'm already manhadling the can I might as well just pour it in quick. For the record the Swedish nozzle the one with the big black bit pours the fastest 5 gal in under two minutes easy. Wish I could find more. I made the other one trying to emulate the Swedish. Sort of works. Still faster than the scepter nozzle, which in turn is still faster than my jiggle or foot valve siphon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online