Scepter Jerry can question

SameGuy

Observer
I know these are getting harder and harder to come by but there is a decent supply of used ones on a popular auction site for a somewhat reasonably price. I am wondering if they can lay on their back on a vehicle without leaking? They will be on my roof and I don't want them sitting upright.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Gas or diesel? If gas I’d be interested.

What, if any, difference is there?

I got one a while back at a little army surplus shop for $25. Has DIESEL on it in ink, FUEL molded in the side. Plan to use it for gas, can't see that it makes any difference, I highly doubt a different plastic formulation, but I could be wrong.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
So switch out the seals and I'm good? Well except the seals cost more than the can did...but it looks like it needs replacing anyway.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
So switch out the seals and I'm good? Well except the seals cost more than the can did...but it looks like it needs replacing anyway.

Yes replacing the seals would work. It’s cheaper than trying to get the correct cans out of Canada. You might be able to buy a sheet of Viton and just cut the seals yourself too. That would be less as well.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Yes replacing the seals would work. It’s cheaper than trying to get the correct cans out of Canada. You might be able to buy a sheet of Viton and just cut the seals yourself too. That would be less as well.

Thanks, you saved me some headache when I ever go to use it. It needs a new seal anyway. I considered myself lucky to find a surplus military can at all for as little as I paid.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
what is this wrench you speak of?

This looks like a different design than the normal Scepter one, but you get the idea:

hqdefault.jpg

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
This looks like a different design than the normal Scepter one, but you get the idea:

hqdefault.jpg

That's a military style Gas can (red strap).

I just use a strap wrench on mine. Not quite as quick and easy as that wrench but I'm sure it's a whole lot cheaper and I already carry it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz