Scepter Gas/Water can holder for roof rack?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for a gas/water can holder that is compatible with the Scepter cans and is suitable for mounting on a roof rack, and I'm not finding any options. I've looked at the following products, and most seem to either explicitly state that they are not compatible with the Scepter cans, or at least imply that. The only exception is the holder from Baja Racks which they say "may" work.

The new (to the USA) ARB dual can holder (pictures all show this one with the Wedco cans)
The ExpeditionWare product sold by EE (pictures only show this with the Wedco cans)
The Front Runner product (Equipt web site says not compatible with Scepter cans)
The Baja Rack dual can holder (Baja says they "may" work)

I'd like one that will hold two cans and that leaves a relatively low profile base on the rack when the cans are not in place. Anybody have any suggestions?

EricBirk

Adventurer
I just got my Bajarack one in the mail today.
I will be mounting it to a wilderness rack with 2 scepter cans.
Obviously might take a bit of modifications...

I will mock it up on my living room floor tonight and see if I can snap a picture for you with the cans mounted.

squatch

Adventurer
adventure trailers make a single can holder with a scepter option. i just took my name off a waiting list. you can take my spot? martyn is who i emailed. hope this helps?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader

Thanks, I missed that one. I'm hoping to make room for 4 cans, but I'll keep this in mind as a backup. As you say it's a start ...

EricBirk said:
I just got my Bajarack one in the mail today.
I will be mounting it to a wilderness rack with 2 scepter cans.
Obviously might take a bit of modifications...

I will mock it up on my living room floor tonight and see if I can snap a picture for you with the cans mounted.

Thanks, I'd like to see pics of how that works out.

squatch said:
adventure trailers make a single can holder with a scepter option. i just took my name off a waiting list. you can take my spot? martyn is who i emailed. hope this helps?

Thanks, I was aware of the AT product. My only issue with it is there really isn't an easy way to make it low profile when not carrying a can, so I'd want to take it off the rack when not in use. Not an ideal solution, but maybe a backup plan if I can't find anything else that works.

I am almost certain I've seen pictures of rigs with Scepter cans on their roof racks - there has to be a solution out there somewhere.

EricBirk

Adventurer
Here are 2 pics of it on the floor. They fit pretty well and dont move at all.

The only issue is that the back (BS side picture, left side) the rear tabs of the top dont touch the cans. Not a big deal, it holds tight.

My other beef is that the top mount has a threaded bolt that is just long enough with the Scepters. In testing it on the roof the bolts threads got screwed, I think they welded the nut and didnt chase the threads after...

Now to build a mount for my wilderness rack.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader

The only issue is that the back (BS side picture, left side) the rear tabs of the top dont touch the cans. Not a big deal, it holds tight.

My other beef is that the top mount has a threaded bolt that is just long enough with the Scepters. In testing it on the roof the bolts threads got screwed, I think they welded the nut and didnt chase the threads after...

Thanks for the pics - glad the rack is working out for you.

A couple questions: How much clearance between the cap on the can and the rack? Just wondering if the Scepter water can with teh extra little spout in the cap would fit. Regarding the bolt, does that run all the way down between the two cans and into the base?

Last edited:

EricBirk

Adventurer
Thanks for the pics - glad the rack is working out for you.

A couple questions: How much clearance between the cap on the can and the rack? Just wondering if the Scepter water can with teh extra little spout in the cap would fit. Regarding the bolt, does that run all the way down between the two cans and into the base?

There is a 2"ish wide piece of plate that is J hooked to the base that goes between the cans.

I cant see the water cans being an issue as there is a bit of wiggle room until you lock it down. One of the things I really like about this, other than the fact that you can completely remove the top, is that you can adjust the clamp force/height.

overlander

Expedition Leader

You can glue weatherstrip on the bottom of the upper strap along it's length to take up that slack, and probably should to keep vibration of the metal strapping from rubbing on the cans.

EricBirk

Adventurer
You can glue weatherstrip on the bottom of the upper strap along it's length to take up that slack, and probably should to keep vibration of the metal strapping from rubbing on the cans.

That is a damn good idea!!, and I just so happen to have some leftover black one sided foam tape.

CJCA

Adventurer
Try this: http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-fuelcanholder.htm or this: http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-canholder.htm They show both of these models holding Scepter cans, and sell the cans too...

My 5 yo son wants to add a smilie::safari-rig::pROFSheriffHL::gunt:

Looks like they copied Adventure Trailers' design.....

canholder-1.jpg

Ludedude

Adventurer

The nut is threaded wrong for that bolt. I did the same thing to mine a few days before a multi-day trip but BajaRack made it right. Just use the small silver wingnut and either the cotter pin they sent or put a small lock through the hole in the J bolt to keep it all together.

Mine worked fine even doing my best Ironman Stewart Baja impression through the Mojave :victory:

EricBirk

Adventurer
The nut is threaded wrong for that bolt. I did the same thing to mine a few days before a multi-day trip but BajaRack made it right. Just use the small silver wingnut and either the cotter pin they sent or put a small lock through the hole in the J bolt to keep it all together.

Mine worked fine even doing my best Ironman Stewart Baja impression through the Mojave :victory:

hahaha
I have run a tap and die on the bolt and the nut welded to the big bar but have not checked on the wingnut yet. I might have to cut and put a longer bolt on it anyways as the Scepters seem to be a bit taller. I made brackets to mount it last night out of 3/4 x 1/8" thick angle, just waiting for the paint to harden and I will try it out tonight.

Ludedude

Adventurer
Yeah when the Scepters swell up a bit in the heat (it's always hot here), it can get tricky to get the top piece over the J bolt. I just crack the cap and squeeze them back to size, then it's not that hard.

Overall it's a great set of can holders though. Well built and they do hold up to airborne excursions without any issues. That's where the Scepter cans really shine too :Wow1:

Here's a gratuitous pic:

web_Mojave%20Rd_%20NVTTORA%20April%202010%20-%20046.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz