Scepter Can ordering??

the Rewster

Observer
Is there something wrong with putting fuel in the water can if it is CLEARLY marked?
I just got my MWC from BQ and I have to say I think it is tougher than my old metal US jerry cans ever were.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
westernhunter said:
Is there something wrong with putting fuel in the water can if it is CLEARLY marked?
I just got my MWC from BQ and I have to say I think it is tougher than my old metal US jerry cans ever were.

That is a great question and I'd like to know th answer as well if you find out.

TheRoadie

Explorer
I believe the issue with the water cans is the identical issue with the discontinued fuel cans - the CARB permeation spec through the plastic body. If Scepter used a higher density poly body, it would be as fragile as their lawn mower cans. They couldn't find a formula that would be military strength and now evaporate fuel through the sides at too high a rate. They don't leak - they just permeate very slowly.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Same reason they have recently gone back to metal fuel tanks in cars. (Betcha didn't know that?). The fill tubes and fuel tubes are also going back to metal, or are a poly/metal/poly.

Newt

Forget The Septre Fuel Cans

ttora4runner said:
Does anyone know how to order products though http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/gear/index.html
From my own experience with the Septre fuel cans, I can say that they have one huge problem with expansion from the heat. Hundreds of psi build up to the point where the can distorts and mangles the can holder. However, they did not leak even in the expanded mode. They may now be illegal for use in the U.S.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Newt said:
From my own experience with the Septre fuel cans, I can say that they have one huge problem with expansion from the heat. Hundreds of psi build up to the point where the can distorts and mangles the can holder. However, they did not leak even in the expanded mode. They may now be illegal for use in the U.S.

The cans do expand due to heat, but it's really only been an issue when the cans are filled above the 20 liter fill line.

The cans have an air gap to allow for expansion and it takes care of the majority of the expansion issues.

The AT can holder was designed for the Scepter Cans allowing for expansion with no distortion of the carrier.

No we do not have any Scepter cans for sale. As suggested you need to buy them in Canada.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
westernhunter said:

I dont own a Sceptor fuel can but i do have a Sceptor water can. The caps are different with the water having a much larger opening and a small opening for filling canteens etc. Dont see how you could pour fuel from a water can without alot of spillage or waiting 3 hours (yep..exageration) from the smaller canteen opening.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
OverlandXJ said:
I dont own a Sceptor fuel can but i do have a Sceptor water can. The caps are different with the water having a much larger opening and a small opening for filling canteens etc. Dont see how you could pour fuel from a water can without alot of spillage or waiting 3 hours (yep..exageration) from the smaller canteen opening.

Most water cans are lined with a food grade plastic. I'm not certain if Scepter lines theirs or not. Adding gasoline to a can lined with food grade plastic may not be good.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
Most water cans are lined with a food grade plastic. I'm not certain if Scepter lines theirs or not. Adding gasoline to a can lined with food grade plastic may not be good.

Good point. Sceptor does advertise the water cans as being mfg'd from food grade, no mention if it's a liner or contructed 100% from this material. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Martyn/everyone:

I decided to go with Scepter cans when I purchased my Chaser, glad I had Mario show me their positives :)

In addition to the four Red/Gas cans I have, I have two (new) Yellow Scepter diesel fuel cans. Is there any reason I can't put gasoline in the yellow cans?

I have big event upcoming and I need/want to carry more than the four red/gas cans.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles