Scare Horn

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
I don't know what the cost might be, but a true sonic deterrent with modulated high frequencies might be better for humans and animals both. A simple high wattage spot light can be very intimidating because it illuminates them and blinds them at the same time. That's why police use them. You always have to be careful about escalating any conflict. The last thing you want to do is show up to gun fight with a knife. A .357 looks pretty impressive, until 2 guys get out with AK-47s. The woods are not what they used to be.

Teardropper

Air horn? I think –depending on who these morons were– you're probably just going to start a pissing match. They too have horns.

T

jus passin thru

Adventurer
I live in AZ where everybody seems to be armed, I would be very careful showing off your fire arms in the woods. Your dealing with **************** and they will continue to act like ****************. Do you really think your wife won’t be frightened when you grab your 357 and head outside. Mike

Grak

Shame the Mythbusters debunked the brown note 153.0 Hz anti-riot idea. There is a stink sludge gun though...:unsure:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Tough decision. I could see a loud horn being useful in some situations but if the could backfire if the interlopers are complete miscreants . That is where your ability to defend yourself comes in.

When I had my Tiger Moth trailer, I mounted a spare remote control Go-Light on the roof. My thought was to see what was going on outside the ring of light from the automatic solar-lights. Well it does not get dark in Alaska in the summer and the trailer didn't last the trip.

Perhaps motion lights like what many people have at their homes. They might scare intruders into thinking someone is awake. I had these on the trailer and they worked very well the times it got dark.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SZ7FXT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is if these intruders are of evil intent you are at a tactical disadvantage after alerting them and then having to get out of the trailer and not see what is happening .

Attachments

• 71UW9HP1esL._SL1500_.jpg
    71UW9HP1esL._SL1500_.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 11

billiebob

I bought some back up LEDs, they came with a keyfob controller. turns them or stobes them.
Have not needed it yet but I think brilliant blinking lights will work better than a truck horn. For bears, prowlers or teenagers.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Yeah, I vote for a spotlight.

Kinda rude, but not "shoot back at me" rude. Would definitely let them know that you are thinking about them.

chet6.7

Explorer
I would not count on a spotlight or any light not being a target. Years ago I went to Gunsite,during the night shooting part of the class,the cop that was my instructor said many times "hit the suicide button"...he was referring to activating the flashlight.
This clip is from Craig Douglass,it shows some tactics to minimize getting shot when using a flashlight. If just activating a flashlight and standing there was safe, that would be taught,the takeaway is....bad guys shoot at lights.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I would not count on a spotlight or any light not being a target. Years ago I went to Gunsite,during the night shooting part of the class,the cop that was my instructor said many times "hit the suicide button"...he was referring to activating the flashlight.
This clip is from Craig Douglass,it shows some tactics to minimize getting shot when using a flashlight. If just activating a flashlight and standing there was safe, that would be taught,the takeaway is....bad guys shoot at lights.

Good point, but I meant the type that is mounted through the roof of the trailer (like cop cars on the A-pillar)...not hand-held.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles