Scare Horn

dreadlocks

Anyone installed or thought about installing a loud ass horn on your trailer? Last weekend we were dispersed camping alone in middle of state forest, Easter morning my wife told me some night wheelers pulled into our camp at 1am with big light bars and trucks running and could hear several guys talking but unable to make out what they were saying, it had been my birthday so I was apparently rather unresponsive (partied hard) in my sleep.. she said she had heard/seen em blasting up and down the forest road several times before and after and they stayed there lighting up our whole trailer for at least 10m or so before leaving uneventfully.

Now I wish she had been able to wake my ass up, I'd of given her the bear mace, taken my dog and my 357 outside and had a chat with these inconsiderate folks scaring the crap outta my wife.. but that got me thinking, a big ass air horn might of might of given em the hint to buzz off (and mebe waken me up).. and it may prove a decent first defense in bear country if we wake up to one of them poking around camp, could also train my kids to b-line it back to camp asap if they ever hear it.. I boondock mostly, so its not like I'd wake up 200 people in a campground if it hadda be used and would only be used sparingly as a scare horn.

I've been debating putting an air compressor w/a tank in my trailer for airing up tow vehicle, trailer, bikes, etc.. I could easily wire up a train sounding air horn up to that with a big red push button inside to activate it..

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience, feedback?

Florida Native

I think it would have more value against 4 legged critters over 2 legged ones. I like the Stebel Nautilus. Compact, easy (no add'l air required), cheap, and VERY loud.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I find that any response at all will have two effects. Scare off kids, or escalate the conflict with the Bros... Same goes for the gun, two very different responses are possible.

Now, if its over 90db inside their cab? That would give them a start. quieter than that? Not so sure. I have seen train style air horns scare the poo out of folks from 80ft away when they are unaware.

chet6.7

Explorer
Who knows,they may have been planning on stopping at that location ,you were already there so they had to come up with a different plan. The horn is not a bad idea,it could make a situation better or worse. I would put some thought into being in a condition where you could respond to the unexpected.
I know of someone that has a bullhorn with a siren,his idea is to activate it if anyone invades his home.He is well armed ,a good shooter,and has the right mightset to get it done,the bull horn is just another layer,maybe it will get them to leave before he opens up on them.

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
That's a tough situation. I'm usually so passed out drunk when in my RTT that a coven of witches could start dancing around the rig while chanting hand-in-hand until dawn... several nights in a row...and I would never notice.

Maybe parking your rig with the headlights pointing toward the road would be a "politic" solution. If someone is out front, turn on the headlights via remote (if anyone could wire that up, you can ;)). Walk out and ask them politely if they need help while your wife stands back pointedly catching it all on video.

Most people are scared to death of behaving like a jerk when they know they are on video.

dreadlocks

hah, yeah well if kids are off at night when the critters come into camp then we have an awkward situation eh? damn kids sneaking off with my pot is a lil further into my future I hope.. I figured it'd be not be entirely reliable against two legged trespassers, but it'd get your attention and and could cause some brown pants situation if they thought even for a second they were about to get hit by a ghost train.. reason I thought of it was because I suggested wife shoulda grabbed the car keys on the magnet by the door and at least flashed the lights at em by re-locking it, or even hit panic button to let em know you done pissed off the people inside, mission accomplished.. Ive done it to kids trying door handles watching em on security camera, works pretty well at making em gtfo if they think someones spotted em.. then I the inner toolman kicked in and I went right to lets put on a 160db train horn, it'd probably scare teh poo outta all sorts of stuff if we need it.

they camped further up the road earlier that evening im pretty sure, there was lots of spots available, these were one vehicle per area size dispersed camping areas, not a trail head or anything that anyone would have any reason to pull into if it was occupied, especially at 1am.. I remember waking up at least once to em going by wide open a few hours before this as I was drifting off, they lit up the canvas enough to jar me back.. think they were just testing out their new light bar and wanted to see how much they could piss people off with it? isint that what they install em for?

I open carry always in a dispersed camp, so if you come into mine dont get freaked out by a guy with a sidearm.. If I thought it was an actual danger I would just stay inside, but that dont mean I'm going out naked so those **************************** could have a safe space.. I'd of asked em if anything was wrong, needed any help or if they had any particular reason for waking me from my slumber.. then asked em nicely to pound sand.

bshinn

Some train horns would make sense for wildlife I would imagine, but for a bunch of ****************** only slightly less in the tank than you were, I think it would escalate things.

Spend less money and buy a short barreled Mossberg 500 and teach your wife how to handle it. All she has to do relax and let the ****************** have there fun, if they get out of hand, rack a round in the chamber. Pretty amazing how that noise sobers people up and focus's their attention. Reasonable people adjust their attitude when cell phone video is present, but YouTube is full of people who don't give a damn.

ITTOG

Maybe it should similate machine gun fire. That would definitely scare them initially.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

Yeah your likely right for ****************** out being ******************, woulda likely pissed em off for being out jackassed, thus the'd need to find something more ************** than a surprise train horn, next thing you know someone has their ass out the window and everyone is tossing f-bombs..

However for those actually prowling about trying to go unnoticed, it'd almost always illicit a flight response.. so while it may better to hold off on some bros flexing, it should be somewhat effective for prowlers regardless of leg count.

on board vs air can advantage would be I could install it outside and not deafen our selfs as badly having to fire it off inside w/doors closed.. and if I'm already putting on an air system a horn can be hooked up for fairly cheap at that point.. those are more backup signal devices and quite a bit less startling than a big air horn.

I'll add a boom stick to the trailer fitting before Alaska, my old lady is a pretty good shot.. got a toddler now though and any good vehicle shotgun racks w/quick access are priced for police budgets not mine.. til then a 357 with hot loads will make due, never needed it yet but it obviously makes me sleep better at night knowing I'll never wake up to use it.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Why not just add some of those motion sensing lights that the RV folks use? You can get them with alarms as well. While I can see the horn scaring off wildlife, I can also see it antagonizing miscreants, not to mention utterly pissing off of anyone else within earshot of the thing. A canned air horn like boaters use would be a lot cheaper, smaller and probably as effective.

You can pick up used Tufloc shotgun mounts on ebay pretty cheaply; a new one is like $88 from Gall's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94