Scanning NOAA Weather Radio?

ebel

I am looking for a weather radio for the car, to use on hikes, and to keep at my house when not on the road.
Turns out, it is really difficult to find a ratio with the right features

Features I am looking for:

- The radio should permanently scan across all 7 stations. Not just on startup, and it should not immediately lock to the strongest station. When out on the road, I want to be alerted if any forecast office issues a warning.

- As a minimum have Public Alert, i.e. alert me when the 1050 Hz tone is received.

- Portable form factor

- S.A.M.E. alerting is nice to have, i.e. messages can be selected depending on the area and message type. Should be easily selectable, if I am at home, I press the 'home' button and it only alerts to my specific area, if I am on the road, I press the 'driving' button and it alerts to anything, and if I am camping, it only alerts to stuff I want to be woken up for, no missing children or weather watches.

Radios I've looked at:

Midland:
- HH50B: Great HT form factor, does not scan. Only locks to the strongest station. No S.A.M.E features.
- WR120, WR300, WR400, ER310: Great many features, but as far as I can tell, they do not scan ("scan" mode just means they lock to the strongest station).

Others:
- Various hand-crank radios on Amazon with mechanical tuning knobs: No scanning, no alerting.
- Baofeng: Scanning, ideal form factor, scans, but sadly can't alert to 1050Hz tone.
- Yaesu: Some can scan and alert on 1050, but not sure if they can scan all channels (documents I found say in weather mode they check every 5 seconds, which would not be enough to check all channels, as the tone is 10 seconds long. Expensive.
- Uniden Bearcat BC125AT: Scanning, has 1050Hz alert. Might work, but could have same issue of only checking a single channel every 5 seconds. More expensive models have S.A.M.E. capabilities, but slow to program.

Any other radios I should be looking at?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Seems like the Midlands are your best bet if SAME is important. The HH54, WR120, WR400 do it AFAIK.

If you only need 1050 Hz alert then there's many receivers and transceivers (my VX-7R does it, for example), although automatically scanning might require some configuration, if it's possible to do at all.

KI4LTX

The Reecom radios are far superior to the current Midland offerings, and if I understand your requirements correctly, the R-200 and the R-500 meet most of your requirements, including the multi-channel scan.

dstefan

I am looking for a weather radio for the car, to use on hikes, and to keep at my house when not on the road.
Turns out, it is really difficult to find a ratio with the right features

Features I am looking for:

- The radio should permanently scan across all 7 stations. Not just on startup, and it should not immediately lock to the strongest station. When out on the road, I want to be alerted if any forecast office issues a warning.

- As a minimum have Public Alert, i.e. alert me when the 1050 Hz tone is received.

- Portable form factor

- S.A.M.E. alerting is nice to have, i.e. messages can be selected depending on the area and message type. Should be easily selectable, if I am at home, I press the 'home' button and it only alerts to my specific area, if I am on the road, I press the 'driving' button and it alerts to anything, and if I am camping, it only alerts to stuff I want to be woken up for, no missing children or weather watches.

Radios I've looked at:

Midland:
- HH50B: Great HT form factor, does not scan. Only locks to the strongest station. No S.A.M.E features.
- WR120, WR300, WR400, ER310: Great many features, but as far as I can tell, they do not scan ("scan" mode just means they lock to the strongest station).

Others:
- Various hand-crank radios on Amazon with mechanical tuning knobs: No scanning, no alerting.
- Baofeng: Scanning, ideal form factor, scans, but sadly can't alert to 1050Hz tone.
- Yaesu: Some can scan and alert on 1050, but not sure if they can scan all channels (documents I found say in weather mode they check every 5 seconds, which would not be enough to check all channels, as the tone is 10 seconds long. Expensive.
- Uniden Bearcat BC125AT: Scanning, has 1050Hz alert. Might work, but could have same issue of only checking a single channel every 5 seconds. More expensive models have S.A.M.E. capabilities, but slow to program.

Any other radios I should be looking at?
Did you settle on one? I’m starting to look and know little to nothing about radios and comms, so curious what you landed on?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Any radio that scans is going to lock onto the strongest signal. That is purpose of scanning to find the freq with a signal.

ThundahBeagle

Car and handheld should be different units because when a handheld is in the car its reception is reduced. I have an old Cobra CB with 7 channels of NOAA and it will burst to life with an alert even if I have its power shut off.

Then I have a couple handheld Cobra FRS/GMRS radios with NOAA for on foot.

And the whole reason for scanning is to find the strongest signal/ the weather report closest and most applicable to you. Let it scan

plh

Explorer
Car and handheld should be different units because when a handheld is in the car its reception is reduced. I have an old Cobra CB with 7 channels of NOAA and it will burst to life with an alert even if I have its power shut off.

Then I have a couple handheld Cobra FRS/GMRS radios with NOAA for on foot.

And the whole reason for scanning is to find the strongest signal/ the weather report closest and most applicable to you. Let it scan

What model Cobra is it?

29WXNWBT?

ThundahBeagle

What model Cobra is it?

29WXNWBT?

Naw, I fried the YD1022 chip in my old model 29 LTD about a year and a half ago outrunning a storm in Nebraska. So when I got home I dug my old Cobra 25 out of the closet. It has weather. Neither of them had Night Watch.

ThundahBeagle

There ya go. Cobra 25LTD WX Classic. It's an older one, as you can see by the fact that the mic cord connects to the left side of the unit. Newer ones connect on front of the unit under the SWR meter to give you a little extra reach with the mic. I guess reconfiguring the circuit board was cheaper than making the cable 6 inches longer.

When I step out of the truck I have the Cobra MicroTalk.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
There ya go. Cobra 25LTD WX Classic. It's an older one, as you can see by the fact that the mic cord connects to the left side of the unit. Newer ones connect on front of the unit under the SWR meter to give you a little extra reach with the mic. I guess reconfiguring the circuit board was cheaper than making the cable 6 inches longer.

When I step out of the truck I have the Cobra MicroTalk.

That Cobra 25 is a good older radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94