Scangauge 2 Compatible with 1994 Montero LS?

Androvers

Observer
Does anyone know if the scangauage 2 is compatible with a 1994 Montero LS? It has the OBD 2 port, but when I plug it in it just says connecting, have tried to force the ISO protocol to no avail. Any information is appreciated, thank you.

nckwltn

Explorer
I'm guessing you've started the car while it's plugged in? I get the same type of message in my '99 if I don't start the car after plugging in. It will sit on that message over night if I don't start the car.

Androvers

Observer
I have it plugged in and then I start the car, which turns it on. So do I need to start the car and then plug it in? I just left it plugged in when i used it in my truck and it worked fine.

nckwltn

Explorer
oh, never mind, think you were just confirming that I had started the vehicle. Yes I did.

Correct.... And sorry also, I have an ultragauge and not scangauge, but the same kind of thing happens if I just plug it in without starting the car.

In theory, if the 94 has the same computer as a 97, it should work. I think it was 97 (or 96) that obd2 became mandatory in the US.

Androvers

Observer
Correct, not required till 96 but I have the plug in my 94, might not do anything though. Just says connecting till it eventually shuts down.

bikerjosh

Explorer
I was under the impression that up through maybe 96' was ODB1? :sombrero: I could be wrong, as I seem to be more often lately.

TheMole

Adventurer
The ultragauge on my 98 only comes on when the car is started. I'll check which ISO it uses later today.

Androvers

Observer
Maybe my 94' has an OBD1 connector?, but the scan gauge plugs into it well and then powers up, just will not connect. Are the obd1 and obd 2 the same size and shape?

TheMole

Adventurer
Last edited:

Androvers

Observer
Talked to the service department at the local dealer here today in Oregon, he says I need an adapter as the can system of the Montero is slow. There is no compliance sticker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94