Scan Guage vs. Ultra Guage?

bldeagle10

Explorer
im looking for an OBD II reader so i can monitor what is going on with my 99 Cherokee. i have the "dummy guages" so i have absolutely no idea what my engine temp is, or voltage, or oil pressure etc.. all i know is when something goes wrong a big purty light starts flashing... :rolleyes:
along with those typical gauges that should be in there, i want to be able to read my fuel to air ratio. i have a hunch it is running rich (fuel on the spark plugs) and i would like to know how bad it is... what experience do you guys have with these products and if you have another computer system or gauge deal that you use that is affordable on a college budget feel free to throw it in the ring.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I have both.

The ScanGaugeII is easier to use, better menus, buttons on front, sun can make the display hard to read.

The UltraGauge has a better display visually and displays more at once, is cheaper.

On a budget, I'd do the UG. I'm thinking about getting another to hack, move the buttons to the front and thus making it surface mountable.

AFSOC

Explorer
I have a ScanGaugeII on my 99 Cherokee XJ. It will not show oil pressure or do any trans monitoring.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
AFSOC raises a good point. Some of what is shown is vehicle specific. My SGII shows oil pressure for my 08 Colorado but doesn't show some things that it will for an 08 Silvy so make sure your comparisons are for you specfic model.

cjlewis

SE Expedition Society
I have really enjoyed my AeroForce gauge. It's small can monitor multiple settings, has some override capabilities similar to Superchips. I also have it set to flash the led lights when the engine is knocking.

And the best part.... it can be programmed to flash JEEP when it starts up. Seriously thought it is nice and available in different colors to boot.

Let us know what you choose. FYI...I am not very familiar with the other device.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've been running an UG in my 4runner since last October. It is actually my default "gas gauge" since the 3rd gen 4runners have such unreliable stock fuel gauges.

Any OBD scanner will only report what the computer tells it. I don't think oil pressure is one of the things my computer reports. Trans temp is not on mine, either, but I've heard that on the Scangauge, it is (on some vehicles, anyway.) Supposedly, UG is working on getting trans temp on their gauges, if they do I might buy another one and put my current one in my DD Mazda, which has a manual tranny and doesn't need trans temp monitoring.

bldeagle10

Explorer
mainly i need to know if its running rich right now, the added benefit of being able to monitor other things as well seems like its for the extra cash. im leaning towards the Ultra Gauge because it is more cost effective for me at the moment. i looked at the Aeroforce and although it looks like it would be nice, i dont like that it only displays 2 things at once. does anyone know of software you can download to a laptop and monitor that way? i drive around with my laptop all the time because im to cheap for a zune and i just hate my ipod cause itunes is horrid, so that would be another option. and in that case one day i would end up just getting a cheap netbook to use for NAV, OBDII monitoring, music etc...

thank you for the replies, much appreciated!

googled and found dash command, touch scan, scan master, and scan xl. going to browse through those, any input?

also, just realized the fuel/air ratio is monitored by the O2 sensor, which i believe is reading it wrong because of an exhaust leak so i wouldn't get the correct readings till i get a new header...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior