***SCAMS ON EXPO*** BEWARE!!!

lstamatis

Overland Traveler
Hey Folks, I wanted to bring it to your attention that I was just scammed through this website. I had posted on someone's thread that I was interested in an ARB jack that was already sold and was contacted through DM by a member of the name of mcalvin318 stating that he had a friend that had one for sale for the same price ($600) including shipping. Really needing it for a trip coming up I agreed to send him $600 through Zelle after he sent me another picture of the jack at a different angle to which he complied. It felt safe and I have had other successful transactions through this website previously so I wasn't overly concerned. Well, I sent off the $600 and he didn't ship it yesterday as promised. He then contacted me today after countless emails to him and said that shipping was going to be expensive and demanded another $150 to cover shipping. I refused and asked for my money back and that's the end of the story. No more responses from him.

He goes by the name of Martin Calvin and had me send payment to the email address blazinbladesllc@yahoo.com. That said, I would not recommend buying products through the Classified section of this website unless it's an in-person deal. Very sad and $600 is a lot of money to me. Lesson learned.

-Leon

Last edited:

lstamatis

Overland Traveler
It's been one day? Settle down a little there. The world does not always move at Amazon drone speed.

Yes, it's been a day since he sold me an item at $600 and changed it to $750 after I paid him. You settle down. Maybe you'd prefer he sold it to 10 more members?

*edit* Thanks for the moderation, mods.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Not really sure why my post was deleted? I was simply saying it's only been a day. I was trying to give the guy some credit. Sure, he could be a crook, but how would we know in a day?

Anyway, I am settled. Good luck resolving your issue. And hopefully you learned not to send people you don't know money.

Old Tanker

not sure how zelle works exactly but if it is tied to a cc couldn't you dispute the charge with the cc company? sorry you had this happen -

I don't know what the basis would be. The charge was paid to Zelle so that Zelle could pass the money forward. Zelle delivered on their end of the bargain.

ripperj

Explorer
If you PayPal, do not use Friends and Family, it has no buyer protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Sorry to hear about this. I lost $500 through Zelle once too. That's a big red flag now.

I spent last night and this morning trying to find additional ways to identify these spammers when they register, but no system is 100% perfect. Please report them asap if you have doubts.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I am a mod on wranglerforum and it is non stop. We post big warnings don't buy from people you don't know and from people who respond via pm asking you to contact someone else....We have tried to get the forum owners to prevent new people from sending PMs but they will not do it. This forum has the same software...

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Sorry this happened, and it sucks for sure.

Red flags to me are new members with no post history. I would be very careful with this type of user, but it doesn't always mean they aren't legit. For more expensive items I like to try and get a phone number and talk to the person. Doesn't always work, but it can add a level of confidence to the transaction being on the level.

I've had good luck on this forum and others, but there is always a risk. People can suck, but most of them are good.

Edit: I can't believe this guy mcalvin318 uses the same user name. Googling it is a great idea when seeing if a user is legit. Tons of hits of him scamming.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am a mod on wranglerforum and it is non stop. We post big warnings don't buy from people you don't know and from people who respond via pm asking you to contact someone else....We have tried to get the forum owners to prevent new people from sending PMs but they will not do it. This forum has the same software...

I tried to find a feature for that last night but was not successful. If you have insight on this please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior