Sawtooth Unlimited - Off Road Pop Top Camper Trailer

stomperxj

Explorer
Glad to see you back at it, I have been checking your channel about once a week in case I missed one.

Thanks Scott (y)

you have weight on top of your vacuum bag why is that. a pre load?

I have aluminum inside the roof panel and wanted to make sure it was stuck to that and a couple other places in general plus I had some plywood stoppers at the back end of the roof. We almost ran out of epoxy on this one so the front was a bit thin. Wanted to make sure the edges had good pressure where needed.

sm-0627.jpg

opp

Observer
been working on low presser panels .How you glued your floor top skin. Trying to find that three-quarter inch plastic tubing for your wire run. The cheapest I can find is $8.05 a running foot .If you have a bit of time where did you get it from?

stomperxj

Explorer
been working on low presser panels .How you glued your floor top skin. Trying to find that three-quarter inch plastic tubing for your wire run. The cheapest I can find is $8.05 a running foot .If you have a bit of time where did you get it from?

Mike I ended up using 3/4" aluminum square tubing for a lot of the conduit. The PVC square tube I bought was a mistake. It did not stick to the epoxy at all. The aluminum worked great. If I did it again I would use 1" instead of 3/4. Running the wires was a pain in the ass.

Reactions: opp

high-and-dry

Mike I ended up using 3/4" aluminum square tubing for a lot of the conduit. The PVC square tube I bought was a mistake. It did not stick to the epoxy at all. The aluminum worked great. If I did it again I would use 1" instead of 3/4. Running the wires was a pain in the ass.
I second the 1 inch tube, I used aluminum where I just wanted to run wires, and steel where I buried supports in the walls and use them for wire pathways. Just make sure you wipe them down with a degreaser as they are oily.

stomperxj

Explorer
Not too much done but a few things today. House renovations are finally over. This thing saw light for the first time ever today after a bit of cleaning :) Built a jockey wheel and got the other rubber floor piece cut and put in. Took a night shot with the lights on. Looks pretty cool to me :) Video link at the bottom. Fair warning. Lots of talking in this one. Sorry... :)

sm-0638.jpgsm-0639.jpg
sm-0634.jpgsm-0643.jpgsm-0640.jpgsm-0645.jpg

high-and-dry

Git-r-done.

Honestly the best feeling besides having it "done" was towing it the first time and it not falling apart.

Dont lose hope yet, your close, but its all those little things that do add up, but it looks great.

stomperxj

Explorer
all those little things that do add up, but it looks great.

Thanks Scott. You are right. All the small stuff takes as long as the big stuff.

They both look great. Decks are fun the work / reward factor is a nice balance.

Thanks :) I didn't build that deck though :). It would have taken me a couple years to get it done :D

I got some temp fillers made for the bed platform openings and got all the t molding put in. No video on that. Way too hot and sweaty for that sort of thing.

sm-0648.jpgsm-0647.jpg

stomperxj

Explorer
I started on the aluminum corner trim a couple months ago but that got interrupted by some kidney cancer :D I'm 4 weeks post op from a partial nephrectomy. Luckily it was caught early and they got it all removed. Non metastasized, no lymph invasion, non aggressive type so pathology and prognosis is very good. If you're gonna get cancer, get this kind.

I am now cleared for lifting more than 10 lbs so planning on working on the aluminum trim this weekend. Not too far off from a maiden voyage honestly. We won't have electrical or a pop top or raptor liner on it but we are camping in this thing this year dammit ?

PXL_20210612_224535563.jpg

high-and-dry

What color are you doors and hatch edges, if black you should take the aluminum trim and get it powder coated black. Or it you want to diy it some ceracoat or alumihyde.

Get her done and get you and the wife out for some fun.

stomperxj

Explorer
What color are you doors and hatch edges, if black you should take the aluminum trim and get it powder coated black. Or it you want to diy it some ceracoat or alumihyde.

Get her done and get you and the wife out for some fun.

All doors are black surrounds. I've already glued on the back pieces. I may come back later and paint them or something. Not too concerned about it. The aluminum color looks pretty good too

Louisd75

Adventurer
I started on the aluminum corner trim a couple months ago but that got interrupted by some kidney cancer :D I'm 4 weeks post op from a partial nephrectomy. Luckily it was caught early and they got it all removed. Non metastasized, no lymph invasion, non aggressive type so pathology and prognosis is very good. If you're gonna get cancer, get this kind.

I am now cleared for lifting more than 10 lbs so planning on working on the aluminum trim this weekend. Not too far off from a maiden voyage honestly. We won't have electrical or a pop top or raptor liner on it but we are camping in this thing this year dammit ?

Well, I guess cancer is a decent excuse for not making progress. Glad to hear you're on the up and up! I also think there's a rule somewhere that when you build a trailer that you must camp in it prior to "completion" (whatever that is).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles