Sawtooth Unlimited - Off Road Pop Top Camper Trailer

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Thanks for the tip Mark. What does the water do?

Just a guess... but the humidity might help with the curing? I know many types of Urethanes and other types of caulk and paints cure faster in higher humidity. Monsta Liner and many of the bed liners are the same.

Still just a guess as to why the floor water. heh

stomperxj

Explorer
Could your method of homemaking sandwich panels work with sheet metal instead of fibreglass skins?

I suppose you could try it but I'm not sure how well it would work. From an impact standpoint steel would be a poor choice. I think that getting good adhesion to the steel would be the biggest challenge.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Subscribing.

I'm very interested in building with the composite panels. Did you consider purchasing pre-made panels? Why did you choose to build your own? I've only looked into it a little, looks like maybe they're difficult to source and expensive, eh?

stomperxj

Explorer
Subscribing.

I'm very interested in building with the composite panels. Did you consider purchasing pre-made panels? Why did you choose to build your own? I've only looked into it a little, looks like maybe they're difficult to source and expensive, eh?

I checked with a couple companies that make panels and the cost was over triple than doing them myself. Plus I have designed my panels with conduit so I can run wiring through whereas if you buy premade panels that really isn't an option.

jwiereng

Thanks. I suppose a metal sheet bonded to foam would be more impact resilient than hollow section wall common on utility trailers.

I was thinking aluminum sheet metal is easier to source locally than filon.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
We've been shopping for another trailer and this one checks most if not all my boxes. Love the narrow and long dimensions, interior layout, near full size door, etc. I still find it rather depressing no commercial interests are offering something similar here in the US. I've thought about going the home builder route but life threw me a curve and I'm without a garage/workshop...but kudos to you Jess for your intelligent design, fab skills and...sharing all with us! Now, to find someone to build one for us!

ITTOG

We've been shopping for another trailer and this one checks most if not all my boxes. Love the narrow and long dimensions, interior layout, near full size door, etc. I still find it rather depressing no commercial interests are offering something similar here in the US. I've thought about going the home builder route but life threw me a curve and I'm without a garage/workshop...but kudos to you Jess for your intelligent design, fab skills and...sharing all with us! Now, to find someone to build one for us!
I can't wait for him to sell the instructions for it. Assuming he does like his other trailer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

opp

Observer
Amazing planning .like going to see a orchestra on your videos Have a question if you have a little time. Been making my skins hand laid fiberglass foam glass .do you think that a frp /foam/ glass is possible . need the fiberglass on the in side .Using trailers as rentals . So need to be able to steam clean inter. The panels are infill no load Fiberglass Railtop skeleton frame . Thank you for the videos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles