Sawtooth Unlimited - Off Road Pop Top Camper Trailer

When you add the lifting roof do you think you'll have to do much extra support other than the hinge area .
I think we're going to cut all your trailer roofs open and just use diy fiberglass angle as support.
Will be watching closely how you do it I'm glad to see you're getting near the end.
I believe this fiberglass panel is definitely the way to go on any trailer build. We've had our trailers abused rear-ended on the freeway roll down the side of a hill flipping over four times sideways. and just a little bit of work to get them back up and going I mean within a day or two. I believe you are the Vito Corleone of fiberglass structural trailers The Godfather that got the most interest started

stomperxj

Explorer
When you add the lifting roof do you think you'll have to do much extra support other than the hinge area .
I think we're going to cut all your trailer roofs open and just use diy fiberglass angle as support.
Will be watching closely how you do it I'm glad to see you're getting near the end.
I believe this fiberglass panel is definitely the way to go on any trailer build. We've had our trailers abused rear-ended on the freeway roll down the side of a hill flipping over four times sideways. and just a little bit of work to get them back up and going I mean within a day or two. I believe you are the Vito Corleone of fiberglass structural trailers The Godfather that got the most interest started

I embedded some aluminum rec tubing in the roof for structure and the pop top will have some G10 plates for the hinge mounting areas.

What trailers are you talking about? Units that you have manufactured?

I did a bunch of those little DIY fiberglass with polyester resin and isocyanide foam trailers when we did the fiberglass angle. I just figured it would expand and contract with the fiberglass and a lot cheaper and easier to get the aluminum .
I don't think anybody here would even mess with them if it hadn't been for all your great videos. if I use DIY fiberglass angle to make the lip for the top. I figured it might cost maybe $20 each do do a lifting roof add on. to make the mold for the fiberglass angle I just went and got some 2 X 3 aluminum angle put some clay down the middle of it to give me a radius for the edge of the fiberglass and use that as a mold

Attachments

• smc .jpg
    smc .jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

I am kind of curious why didn't you make your own fiberglass skins just out of curiosity. As you do this more of an engineering and you do a lot more research than I ever would have maybe I will learn something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94