SAVE $$$ with "Gas Buddy" fuel price smart phone App. Does diesel, too!

Freebird

Adventurer
$$MONEY$$ ALERT$$$
Get the App on your smart phone (free!) called "Gas Buddy"... yes, "GAS BUDDY"!
Yes, I know, but they do diesel, too.
You have to be in an area that has cellular data service for it to work, which is pretty common now.
I/we just go back from a 5,300 mi round trip to Knoxville TN from central WA, and saved quite a bit on fuel.
You can see if towns have diesel, plus the price per gallon. My wife looks up the route ahead and plans the fuel stops as I drive.
For instance, west bound (then So.) between Dubois, WY and Jackson hole there was diesel at a couple stations for $3.09, but we knew ahead in Jackson (downhill-fortunately) fuel was available at $2.45. Not always this dramatic a price difference, but pretty common to save 15-30 per cents per gallon per fillip with this App.....going 5,300 miles RT, that adds up! Sometimes it is a couple blocks out of the way, but the App gives you directions to the station, so you can estimate if it is worth the bit of inconvenience.

I'm Joe CHEAP, and I love it!

Edit:spread the word, your friends will love it, too!

I just posted this ^^ on WTW. Thought I'd share it here, too!

digitaldelay

Explorer
The app also notifies you if the price is going up in your area. That gives you a chance to go fill up if needed.

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
I've toyed with it but the annoying part is it only shows cash prices and I think only the 87 price (?). Not much help for the vast majority who don't carry hundreds in cash for fuel or those like me who run premium.

It's possible I just haven't dug deep enough into the app. Usually I just look for the best price at the particular area I happen to stop since a few cents per gallon on a 20 gallon tank isn't worth worries about. Or I'm in a place where I'm just glad to find any gas at all.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I've toyed with it but the annoying part is it only shows cash prices and I think only the 87 price (?). Not much help for the vast majority who don't carry hundreds in cash for fuel or those like me who run premium.

It's possible I just haven't dug deep enough into the app. Usually I just look for the best price at the particular area I happen to stop since a few cents per gallon on a 20 gallon tank isn't worth worries about. Or I'm in a place where I'm just glad to find any gas at all.

The only place I've seen the drastic difference between cash and credit is in California. There aren't any stations, that I know of, near where I live that give a cash discount.

zelatore

Explorer
Unfortunately most stations out here started up-charging for credit anywhere from 10-20 cents several years ago. Just like some started advertising a good price on regular but then instead of the typical 10 cent per grade price increase they jump 20 or more cents on each, hoping you will only see the low regular price and not notice the bigger gap until you are already at the pump and don't want to go to a different station. There's a Sinclair near me that's really bad about that. Great gas prices for my work van (regular) but the most expensive around for my Rover (premium).

Freebird

Adventurer
What prompted original post on WTW was some people mentioned traveling and mostly using the upper half to two thirds of the fuel tank for fear the next smallish town or so might not have diesel pumps. This App is the cure for that.... (Again, as long as you check ahead when you DO have cellular data service on your smart phone)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz