Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine First Shots!

Cody1771

Explorer
So, bit of a back story first;

i have been into shooting for awhile, and own multiple firearms. I went through a slew of cheaply made guns for awhile, SKS, Mossberg .22 tactical, Norinco M14... yadda yadda. i got tired of constantly having to tweak them and still getting poor accuracy. so i sold them all and picked up this;

9510884051_6fceca71e2_z.jpg

It is a savage Model 10 Precision Carbine chambered in .223/5.56. has a threaded muzzle, Accu-trigger, Accu stock, it beat out the remington 700VTR for me out of the box. I am running a Vortex Diamond-Back scope in 4-12x, and a knockoff Harris Bipod.

I can honestly say i LOVE the trigger on this gun, i have it set up for a 1.6lb pull and apparently it can go down to 6 oz. I took it to the range today but only took a picture of my best group. 0.78" at 100 yards if you exclude the winger that i shot when i jerked the trigger. This gun can definitely out shoot me right now so i just guess i will have to spend more time at the range :D I was shooting a 6" gong at 250 yards pretty easily.

9516911411_ccaa9614ed_z.jpg

I think this will be an excellent bush gun for camping/plinking!

ruger1

Observer
Great rifle Cody! They used to say that Savage made the most accurate rifles @ their price point, now they make some of the most accurate rifles period.

Cody1771

Explorer
Yeah, like i said it was a tossup between the Remington 700VTR and the model 10 PC. what really sold me was 2 things, first was the trigger, i did not like the remington trigger, which meant i would be dumping $250 for a timney trigger right out of the box. and the 2nd thing was i have a friend that hunts with a savage Axis in .308, considering this is a $350 gun and has a plastic clip he can hit a quarter at 200 yards with it.

also the nice thing about the PC is that if i want to shoot F class competitions i can use it, i couldn't use the VTR because it has a muzzle brake.

Cody1771

Explorer
i was kind of hoping this thread would strike a conversation about bolt guns? Do the people of expo only shoot AR's? heh. anyone out there own the 700VTR and like to comment on it?

ruger1

Observer
Cody,
I get that vibe on this forum that most would rather talk about AR rifles. I never cared for them when I was in the Army, though today they are built better and more accurate, still not my cup of tea. I don't shoot competition, but I do hunt and shoot a lot. My favorite would be my muzzle loader going for that one perfect shot. Next to that I can't say enough good things about our Ruger M77 bolt actions in 7mm Rem mag, .280 (7mm) amd .220 Swift. They are accurate well out past 350 yards with a steady rest.
That being said my son's new Browning BAR Long Trac in .30-06 is right on taget with the bolt actions and smooth as silk to shoot. He bought it for hog hunting with multiple targets and quick follow up shots. We'll find out at the end of September when we go to SC to hunt hogs & deer how it works out in a hunting setting.
IMHO In the end most guns can "out shoot" the shooter if they don't put in the time and effort to practice proper form & breathing.

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
nice mix you got there, nice lever gun, whats it chambered in? i think my next gun will be a lever in .44 mag, i was thinking about building up an AR but up here in Canada if i am going to own a restricted firearm it will be a pistol.

ANd yes i know what you are talking about, i never cared for the C7 when i was in the reserves, it just seemed under-welling after shooting the FN. that being said i am really starting to get into these pistol caliber carbines... they are pretty cool, and realistically do you really need the ballistics of .223 or .308 for that type of rifle? i much prefer to do the CQB style competitions rather than trying to squeeze some resemblance of accuracy out of an AR platform that pretty much any bolt action can out shoot.

Last edited:

ruger1

Observer
Cody , it's a Marlin 1895GBL in .45-70 I got a couple of months ago for hog hunting and it's a blast to shoot. I replaced the trigger and ejector, now it shoots even better. I think a .44 mag Marlin 1894 would be a great backpack and hog hunting gun as well as for a self-defense weapon. Plus for me, I already have a .44 mag Raging Bull and the cartridges are much cheaper than the .45-70.
As far as the pistol cartridge carbines, you're right, I don't think they're intended to shoot much over 100 yards. They're more intended to burn through a lot of rounds at the range and for self-defense. My nephew is an Army Ranger and the weapons he uses today are far different than the M16 I used when I was in (damn I feel old). He tells me some of these shorter barreled carbines are very accurate out past 100 yards. Panther Arms and some of the custom assembled ARs are darn near as accurate as bolt actions, but I still can't seem to warm up to them.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Congrats on the purchase. I'm a savage fan too. I thought about getting a PC in .223 for a less expensive, less recoil alternative to my other bolt gun.

What grain projectiles were you shooting? From memory the PC is a 1:9" twist. If so, I have been able to do really well with 69g Sierra Match Kings, and 69g Nosler Custom Competition.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Cody1771

Explorer
@ruger1 yes, the raging bull is a nice revolver, i have a S&W M29-2 that is in near factory perfect condition with a target grade trigger set to 2lbs, blast to shoot, and a full reloading setup for .44 so it just makes sense to get a rifle chambered in that round.

@dorton my test shots where with Hornaby Z-Max 69grain (Just in case...). It looks like they are the same as there A-max stuff except the tip is green instead of red. it was all i could get when i bought the rifle. it seems to like them.

I am happy with choosing the .223, my range only goes to 250M so something like a .308 is fairly unnecessary. i am curious to see how it shoots surplus ammo as i can get 1140 rounds for about $250 compared to $1 a round for the Hornaby stuff, even the Winchester white box is $30 for 40 rounds right now.

I would like to get dies for .223, It is one of the best pass-times for when your not on the range and load development is just plain good fun.

ruger1

Observer
Cody the S&W M29 and Ruger Super Red Hawk are far superior to the Taurus RB. I'm sorry I let a friend talk me into selling him my Ruger SRH, I thought I'd get a new M629 or another SRH but because of the porting I bought the Taurus. It doesn't lock up as well as the other two and doesn't group as well either (my Glock 35 in .40 cal groups better) next spring I'll trade it in for a M629 Stealth Hunter.
Good luck with the reloading, you'll have so many more options and be able to tune in a load that will be perfect for you.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Once at 400yds I was shooting at a 10" plate using just surplus ball ammo. I could not connect to save my life. My spotter would call "3 o'clock, six o'clock, nine o'clock,1 o'clock....". It would dance all over it, but would not get a hit. With no changes other than swapping ammo, and a few clicks elevation, I was able to run the rack 10", 8", 6", 4" hit once each press of the trigger. Then 5 times in a row on 4" plate. After that moved onto 500yds where we worked a 10x17" silhouette. Ball ammo is fine for plinking, but is not satisfactory for precision work. YMMV.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Cody1771

Explorer
Cody the S&W M29 and Ruger Super Red Hawk are far superior to the Taurus RB. I'm sorry I let a friend talk me into selling him my Ruger SRH, I thought I'd get a new M629 or another SRH but because of the porting I bought the Taurus. It doesn't lock up as well as the other two and doesn't group as well either (my Glock 35 in .40 cal groups better) next spring I'll trade it in for a M629 Stealth Hunter.
Good luck with the reloading, you'll have so many more options and be able to tune in a load that will be perfect for you.

Huh good to know, i have heard mixed reviews about the Taurus guns, thought the RB was one of the better ones, that being said i am a believer in you get what you pay for, look at the price difference between a RB and a 629. my next pistol is going to be a .357 revolver, torn between the S&W M&P revolver and the Pietta Rhino. The rhino is a treat to shoot but i am a big S&W fan.

Cody1771

Explorer
Once at 400yds I was shooting at a 10" plate using just surplus ball ammo. I could not connect to save my life. My spotter would call "3 o'clock, six o'clock, nine o'clock,1 o'clock....". It would dance all over it, but would not get a hit. With no changes other than swapping ammo, and a few clicks elevation, I was able to run the rack 10", 8", 6", 4" hit once each press of the trigger. Then 5 times in a row on 4" plate. After that moved onto 500yds where we worked a 10x17" silhouette. Ball ammo is fine for plinking, but is not satisfactory for precision work. YMMV.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for that info! that is some pretty good info! i would want the ball ammo for plinking out while camping at 100 yards or whatever, so i think i still might pick up a case.

stevo

Observer
Howdy all,
Well GREAT! Just when I thought that I might be getting ahead a little bit, something comes up that I've just got to have. Years ago I had a Rem 700 Sendero in .300 Win Mag with an awsome Leuopold scope on it. (Got tired of it beating the hell out of me so I dumped it.) I also had a custom Ruger bolt gun in 30.06 with a HEAVY Schlien barrel. (Got rid of that one too, sometimes I just get a case of the stupids!) So now I see this beautiful piece of machinery and I think "I've got to get one of those!" It probably wouldn't be so bad but I just saw the Ruger American Rimfire (a bolt action which uses the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine). Now I NEED them both. Boy, is my wife gonna be pissed at me!
Cheers, Stevo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne