Satellite internet

Chorky

Observer
Previously people have said it well here. TV (for those who want it) is one thing, but internet its something different. I think many of us on this forum have looked for a way, unsuccessfully, to have 'good' network access while out and away. There is a reason why we (military) use massive satellite dedicated trailers and trucks - and we have to have coms, period. There are like units in the civilian sector, typically used for FEMA, or government/civilian research stations that must be mobile, but at a significant cost and size not compatible with 'expo' rigs unless in a convoy.

My point is, and my opinion is, adjust your plans. If you can budget 3 months, which is pretty awesome, why not just budget 6 months. Half of that time can be more or less camping and exploring, while the other half can be closer to civilization where a WeeBoost extender will suffice for a cell network. A week of work, then a week of play, for example... I personally have found great success with my cell network and extender to do 90% of what I 'want' (notice, want...not need) when in areas that are quite far away from 'home'. This might give some better separation too when off of work, to not distract you from enjoying the outdoors. Just my .02

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have great " luck " with my Verizon phone and tablet, both will hot spot and I have the unlimited everything plan. At 15gigs, ( per line) they throttle down to 3G. As others have said, having a good idea of places in my area where I can get service still being out w/ a booster.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
We tried the mobile "push the button auto everything and it works within 5 minutes" sat dish units for mobile internet throughout Europe, Sahara & Russia and they don't like it at all : the hard ware suffers a lot on 4WD's. Fine on smooth suspended campers that stay on tarmac etc. A weekend on the pistes in the Alps destroyed € 9,000 worth of equipment on the very first trip. The supplier was not happy as it was still under warranty..

And...., although you guys don't have this problem like we do, many countries do not like it at all when you bring in you sat comm equipment and this causes issues at the various Borders - not to mention additional paperwork & delays.

3G & 4G on our mobiles work fine most of the time..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior