SatCom Experiences

RLM975

Wannabe Oberlander
Stories of your experiences using satcom for emergencies or unplanned forays. Satcom or satphone stories involving Overlanding, Expeditions, or Off Roading (on no! that term!) .

Include your equipment description and performance of the equipment.

No either or comparison debates.

No "I carry this" without a real deal use story.

Mashurst

Adventurer
I have rented a sat phone from roadpost.com for a few trips and it has always worked as expected. We were able to receive calls from members of the group that were coming in at different times and such even from inside the cabins we were staying in. We had to go out to have a conversation. It's been a few years so I'm not sure what exact phone we used or if that would be relevant. If I were putting a trip like that together today I think I would just go with something like SPOT or I have been thinking about the ZOLEO.

yfarm

Observer
Have used a Garmin Inreach for several yrs 200 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico as well as remote mountain locations in New Mexico without hiccup. Garmin has a monthly report on their website detailing emergent uses of their device. Pretty interesting stories. Was elk hunting in nm a year ago, middle of nowhere and met a local old native american hunting grouse, had an inreach mini hanging on a cord around his neck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles