Sasquatch - The 2wd B190 Pet Friendly Overland Build

85Chevota

Picking up our new to us 1992 Airstream B190 next week!

01616_8OwpD6qbMS1_600x450.jpg00505_4FtAatWXqsT_600x450.jpg00l0l_9cW887nsHJR_600x450.jpg

After a season with a pop-up truck camper on a 4x4 F150, we realized a Class B RV would be the best fit for our needs. Our primary concerns were a pass through from cabin to camper for the bad weather days, a cab-over bed, and a climate controlled space for the pets during the day.

This B190 is the first year of the modern styling with only 80,000 miles, regularly driven, and recently dealership maintained.

Our current goals are to drive for a few weekends to test all the features, then this Fall start prepping for a one year american tour. Because of this, we plan to keep it 2wd for simplicity and mainly pavement travel. We hope to have it at Overland Expo East 2017.

Mods I need to research/get advice from you on!
-Suspension: Adventure Van v. WeldTec v. Camburg, which has the best 2wd on road performance with a mild lift?
-Depending on the hight of the lift, are 32s or 33s tires a better option
-Is an '08 econoline facelift worth it? We would likely use the WeldTec fiberglass kit
-How do I install an extended fuel tank in these vans. The stock 35 gallons may not cut it on this vehicles mpg and expected heavy generator usage to run the AC for the dog.
-Is a 97 and up B190 wet bath a plug and play replacement for the 92 split bath?
-To remove or not to remove the rocker panel body kit and flares?

Please chime in if you have any recommendations on things that I may not notice yet.

Last edited:
Weldtec, 33's

Ditch the flares/running boards

Re gear the rear end and add Detroit true track

Fuel tank space may be limited by water tank space/real estate.

Have fun.

Will be at OX east.

dddonkey

Adventurer
I think the lift would be nice with 33"s and a locker, but watch the over all height of the van. Looks like a very nice van, keep us posted.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I say ditch the running board stuff.

For 33s I'd go with the coil spring kit from Ujoint.

For 35s I'd go with Ujoint leaf sprung 6".

What power plant ? If it's gas I'd forget the front end conversion. Don't dig the new front grill. If it's diesel I might consider it if it makes enough space to squeeze in an aftercooler for a turbo kit.

85Chevota

It's the Ford 351 gas engine. Of course I would of loved the diesel but that adds a lot of $$. I'm thinking 33's would be the biggest I would want to go to keep the highway handling and mpg's somewhat decent. Planning on digging into the vehicle a little next week.

85Chevota

IMG_2245.jpg

Picked it up last week! Took it on the first shake down run to the local state park last night and made sure all the appliances and generator worked as expected. After driving on the highways for a few hours I noticed the steering does feel a bit sloppy but not as bad as some other vans I test drove. I figure that with a mild 2wd lift, new steering, and new tires, it should be squared away. I'm shying away from going 4wd right now due to the cost and time and I feel it is unnecessary for this build. With the high top it won't be on any narrow trails so the only possible uses for the 4wd would be beaches and muddy fields. I think I can overcome those with a rear locker, good tires, and a winch.

Now to decide on 2wd lift, shocks, and steering. I'll probably be shooting for 33" BFG All Terrains. And I bought tickets for overland expo east!

Last edited:
Weldtec if you are staying 2wd. Go for the Baja Grocery Getter if you want 33s. Ditch the running board crap and put some bushwackers on. Nice rig!

85Chevota

So I decided to change this build into two stages: Stage 1 is going to be focused on road-worthiness and a solid platform that will last the wife and I through the next two years. Stage 2 will likely be about 2 years from now and include the more extreme rebuild with big lift, tires, and 4wd if this guy is still a good fit for us when that time comes around.

To continue with this plan, I installed a rear hellwig sway bar today (no pics at the moment but let me know if interested). I've also ordered some Moog 880s coil springs (previous owner already installed some recent bilstein rv shocks) and I'm looking into rims and tires. I've decided on the 267/75/r16 bfg all terrains so now just to decide on rims. I see a lot of the rims have 4.5" backspacing and 0 offset. Are those good for this set up or should I go with different backspacing and offset to get them to stick out more?

Something like these Amercian Racing or Black Rocks from Summit Racing:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brw-997798045/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-ar1726882b/overview/

O, and I started taking off the running boards: now to save up for the bushwacker flares which I was surprised to find out cost $400.

IMG_2265.jpgIMG_2266-1.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
The running boards help shorter people climb up into the cab. Removing the 'boards and adding a small lift will exacerbate the problem. Make sure driver and passenger won't need a running jump to get on board. That will get old in a hurry.

85Chevota

The running boards help shorter people climb up into the cab. Removing the 'boards and adding a small lift will exacerbate the problem. Make sure driver and passenger won't need a running jump to get on board. That will get old in a hurry.

Definitely. I have to test out how the dogs will do without steps as well.

The pet situation is one aspect I've been working on lately. We parked the van under a tree in a small town the other day while walking around. Had the generator and AC on and it kept the dogs happy. Now I'm trying to plan space for a removable dog crate and some sort of webcam/thermostat so I can keep an eye on their comfort while we're adventuring on foot without them some days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke