SAS info and parts thread

dvdswan

Dang, nice build. You've been at that a while, lots of detail. Is it completed? The thread seems to leave us in suspense, I'm swapping a V8 next as well.

Thank you. I like to keep the audience riveted. Work and life had kept me from working on it. The plan is now to wait until it warms up a bit. Still no heater in the garage. I figure about 40 hrs more work and I can start driving it. But I think I need to install a dry sump system for clearance at the axle when I flex. More on that down the road.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
So, PA_JERO and I installed the RCV's in his truck (i inherited his old axles). So now his front end is fully upgraded and mine is fixed for now. I had a couple big purchases for the V8 swap keeping me from RCV's but I'll be upgrading before the Sierra Challenge in September. At least we can now continue to shake these things down and enjoy the spring wheeling season.

IMG_20200302_084826_717.jpgIMG_20200302_084826_715.jpg

Toasty

Exploding unis like it doesn't even care, so looks like RCVs are coming earlier than i thought. Should be here any day now...

20200329_142452.jpg

Toasty

Installed an off-road sway bar, need to adjust it a little but it makes a huge difference! I also upgraded to EMF rod ends which really made a positive difference in steering feel over the poly bushings that would wear out every trip. I also bent the Wagoneer pitman arm and replaced it with a heavier duty one from WFO, updated the parts list include changes.

IMG_20200810_064354_898.jpg

evomaki

Observer
Well, now that you mention. The single biggest X factor to a regular Joe doing a SAS (aside from the money as fun costs money) is the transmission mount cross member support for the front control arms that you made Toasty. That thing is a gem. Frame stiffeners and upgraded shock mounts easy in comparison. FOR SURE other complicated stuff in there (like the steering), but that control arm mount effectively ends it. I see why many put leafs up front. I suspect way easier.

Sway bar mounting is cool, and you likely had to do something. That bar would be a bear to make work with an IFS, with the upper control arm in the way. May not be worth it, although I do wonder if a lighter sway bar would be nicer with the IFS off road. I'll probably never find out.

Toasty

Nice build and writeup Toasty! Expect more guys to follow! (y)

PS. What % Jeep does that make your 2.5 now?
Probably 10-15% Jeep now because i have a New Process 241OR T-case from a Jeep Rubicon and a Spicer 44 axle housing from an AMC Jeep Wagoneer. The T-case isn't staying though, I'm going to build an underdriven Bronco Dana 20 to replace it with. Then I'll have a higher % of Ford parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94