Sardines?

jkam

nomadic man
I am picky about my sardines. I like Crown Prince brand and the ones in the blue box which are skinless, boneless and packed in olive oil. They usually come from Morocco and are yummy.

http://www.crownprince.com/

033.jpg

I eat them for breakfast with eggs and bacon whole after draining the oil.

For luch I drain the oil, mush them up into a spread with a little Frenches yellow mustard and a tiny bit of mayo and either put that crackers or bread for a sammich.
Been eating them since I was a kid, my mom got me started on them.

Far far north

Saw a documentary about Omega3 oils wich made me not want to eat the stuff since the manufacturers don't know (or so they say) where the suppliers get the stuff from (who againg don't want to say where it comes from).
Atleast here in Norway, Sweden and many parts of EU and other places of the world the oil comes from Western-Sahara, wich is occupied by Morocco whom has exiled all the locals to the barren inland where there are minimal food.
Morocco then hire European trawlers to fish up all the good fish, but instead of selling it as food they grind it up and sell it as overpriced Omega3 oil to ignorant westeners. Cash is always king!
Because of this overfishery, not only in Western-Sahara, but all over Western Africa by EU trawlers that go there to fish because of the strict fishing quotas in EU, it is reported that the population of more than 40 species of native bush animals have gone back because the people can't fish so have to find food elsewhere.
There is a documentary on this, but I think it's only in Norwegian or Swedish.
One of the owner of the Omega3 suppliers here in Norway had to leave his role as chief board member in one of the big financial groups because of it.

So as with all you buy nowadays, choose wisely where it comes from.
I love fish myself, but only the kind I fish myself :chef: , having worked on a fish farm do things do your mind... :smilies27
Just my 2 cents.

Found this with some info in english

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I'm more of a Kipper guy than a sardine guy.

If you ever get the chance to eat fresh sardines do it. I had salted fillets served raw with very good olive oil as an appetizer in Italy. There were also capers the size of my thumb on the tray. That was killer stuff.

mbuckner

Adventurer
Saw a documentary about Omega3 oils wich made me not want to eat the stuff since the manufacturers don't know (or so they say) where the suppliers get the stuff from (who againg don't want to say where it comes from).
Atleast here in Norway, Sweden and many parts of EU and other places of the world the oil comes from Western-Sahara, wich is occupied by Morocco whom has exiled all the locals to the barren inland where there are minimal food.
Morocco then hire European trawlers to fish up all the good fish, but instead of selling it as food they grind it up and sell it as overpriced Omega3 oil to ignorant westeners. Cash is always king!
Because of this overfishery, not only in Western-Sahara, but all over Western Africa by EU trawlers that go there to fish because of the strict fishing quotas in EU, it is reported that the population of more than 40 species of native bush animals have gone back because the people can't fish so have to find food elsewhere.
There is a documentary on this, but I think it's only in Norwegian or Swedish.
One of the owner of the Omega3 suppliers here in Norway had to leave his role as chief board member in one of the big financial groups because of it.

So as with all you buy nowadays, choose wisely where it comes from.
I love fish myself, but only the kind I fish myself :chef: , having worked on a fish farm do things do your mind... :smilies27
Just my 2 cents.

Found this with some info in english
Yes..you always have to be careful ..... just look at all the domestic
recalls we have here in the U.S.A. for food ...

dzzz

That's the reason to eat more expensive sardines. Who knows what's in Omega 3 oil.
Sardine isn't a specific fish. It just means small fish. The better brands claim cold water fish. I eat Norwegian sardines. From your post maybe not as good as I hoped. But as I see/taste the actual fish I can somewhat judge the quality.

For me Kind Oscar sardines in mustard. Considering the state of the ocean I want to eat low on the saltwater food chain.

YJake

Adventurer
******** :jump:

Ok, so humor me on this. Are these little fish even gutted prior to putting them in the can? Cause if they aren't then that means the poop shoot and everything is still in them little fishies.

All the kippers I have eaten were gutted with the heads cut off.

Oh how I love thee sweet, oily, salty slivers of god...:wings:

Grab some hot sauce with a box of keebler crackers and it's go time!

-Jake

M

modelbuilder

So I bought my first tin of sardines on olive oil today. I'm gonna eat it tonight for dinner.

I am thinking add some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and fresh olive oil and eat.

bobc

I personally like kippered herring or sardines with a pinch of cracked pepper or lemon-pepper and a pinch of granulated garlic right out of the can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94