SAR_Squid79's Expedtion Trailer Build

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Nicely done. The fenders in the first pictures are different than later. Where did you buy those ? Did you cut them ?

The first ones were store-bought, and I just had to buy those to get me street-legal so that I could pull the trailer cross-country from NC to CA. Once I got out here to SoCal I had a buddy custom make me the bigger, better fenders. I just took measurements from a Chaser, tweaked it a little bit to suit my desires, and my buddy fabbed them for me. I'm very pleased with the fenders that are currently on there. The store bought ones were garbage. Totally inadequate for an Off Road trailer.

Totally off-topic, but looking at your front tire, it seems like you may need an alignment on your truck.

ARRRGH!!!

NO! My truck does not need an alignment (any more). My alignment was a little bit out, and I drove from Chicago to Moab. While in Moab my alignment got even more jacked. Then I drove back from Moab to Chicago with the aligment REALLY out of whack. That pretty much ruined my front tires. I had my truck aligned by a good shop a few months ago. So I've just been trying to finish killing those 2 front tires (mission accomplished), and as soon as I can, I'm going to buy 2 new fronts. The 2 rears are still like new, so once I replace the fronts I'll pretty much have new tires, and then I'll get back to a regular rotation schedule.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Hey Jamie...... looks like you need an alignment :hehe: I had to say it . I didnt want to be left out. Just bustin your chops man , nice trailer build.. Thomas

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Here are a few shots from this past week out in Anza Borrego.

I added a storage box to the tongue to hold my chain, and wheel chocks, etc. I also reorganized and rethought the way I had my cargo secured. Camping Lab sent me a new double-thickness replacement cover for the RTT free of charge. The cover that originally came with the RTT was inadequate an was wearing out very fast. Camping Lab tents now come standard with this thicker, nicer cover. Also - this time I ran the trailer's tires at 10 psi, and that made a HUGE difference in the rocks!

This trip with the trailer was WAY better than the last! After 3 days & nights in the backcountry the trailer's stock went up a LOT of points! A few more modifications and this thing will be worth its weight in gold!

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Made some updates to the trailer today.

• I moved the bottom mount on the gas springs about 5" farther inboard to give more lifting force under the lid. MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!
  • But then that made the lid open up higher, which neccessitated a grab handle and limit strap.
  • And finally - I received my Adventure Trailers Jerry Can Holders yesterday, and got them mounted up. So now I could carry up to 25 gallons of fuel, or 15 gallons of gas and 15 gallons of water, or various combinations there of.

PICTURES:

Last edited:

Mitchss

Observer
Great build! Very clean. I saw your link to your lighting source, but was curious what specific clearance lights you used??? I could not seem to find them.

Thanks

rk_az

Adventurer
A couple of questions:

• How are you liking that Camping Lab RTT, other than the issues with the cover?
  • Where did the raised cargo carrier come from that you have on the truck?

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Great build! Very clean. I saw your link to your lighting source, but was curious what specific clearance lights you used??? I could not seem to find them.

Thanks

These are the exact clearance lights I used:
http://www.innovativelight.com/round-2-led-sidemarker-clearance-light_p_1475_11520_4.cfm

I used Amber in the front, Red in the back.

A couple of questions:

• How are you liking that Camping Lab RTT, other than the issues with the cover?
  • Where did the raised cargo carrier come from that you have on the truck?

The only complaints that I would have about the Camping Lab tent would also apply to every other RTT on the market. Putting on / Taking off shoes is a PITA, and there's no good place to store them. Also - you have to keep your backpack/clothes/etc. in the tent with you, whereas with a ground tent you have a 'vestibule'. But no - I don't have a bad thing to say about the Camping Lab RTT. So far it's been awesome!

The rack for my truck was custom made for me by 4xInnovations.

Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Regarding storing of shoes...

Could you build/fit a little platform or shelf that would hook onto the underside of the ladder to store your footwear? Seems like a good place that is not utilized and would be within easy reach sitting on the edge of the tent...

hojhauler

Observer
I don't have a RTT and have never camped in one but might have something to say regarding the shoes. My family and I just got back from a skiing trip in New Mexico in the van and when the kids get in the vehicle after skiing they each have a small back pack to put there shoes in to keep the inside clean.

could you not hang a back pack or waterproof duffle from the ladder or the hanging on the side of the rack that you could put your dirty shoes in? Just a thought?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles