SAR Vehicle Photos

August

Observer
Let's see some photos of your SAR vehicles. I'm not a member of an SAR group but here are some photos of the group in my area, North Shore Search & Rescue in North Vancouver, BC.

VehiclesBay.JPG

nscmd.jpg

North Shore 1 "The Looking Glass"

ns4side.jpg

North Shore 4 "The Batt Mobile"

alice1.gif

North Shore 5 "Alice"

knuckles.jpg

North Shore 6 "Knuckles"

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Those are sweet!

I was on a alpine SAR team in a poor county in Colorado, and our vehicles included an old school bus for a command post, an old suburban that was surplused by the sheriff's department (worn out), and a WWII Kaiser ambulance that was too slow to respond to any searches more than 3.8 miles away.

We did have a pretty cool old snow cat, though. Sorry, no pix.

Mcfly

n748417039_1777569_4201.jpg

From Left to right:
Transport 1 with Command post.
Rescue 2 with Rescue Trailer.
Rescue 1 behind Disater reponds unit

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Here in the States, if a SAR team isn't affiliated with a law enforcement organization or fire/rescue department, we usually don't have dedicated SAR vehicles. I've seen some non-affiliated teams with SAR trucks, but not many. We're usually 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations which require a generous donation or grant to finance a SAR truck.

Many teams on the East Coast, including mine, haul SAR trailers to incidents and training locations. Not only do the trailers haul gear, but can be converted into an incident command post or comms shack. Offroad SAR tasks generally fall upon those members using their own personally-owned vehicles (POVs). My truck and a few other teammate's POVs are kitted out nicely and we see a fair amount of offroad SAR tasks.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Here's my SAR vehicle (aka my own truck)

Pic 1 and 2: This past friday loading human remains to make space for the climbing party and sniffer dog in the back of the truck fro the drive down the mountain
n1115710022_30150268_4201.jpg

n1115710022_30150269_4553.jpg

My truck in my driveway
n1115710022_30146385_9233.jpg

BriansFJ

Adventurer
I'll load up some of my faves when I get home:safari-rig: .

BTW, nice rigs!

Last edited:

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
offroad_nomad said:
Here in the States, if a SAR team isn't affiliated with a law enforcement organization or fire/rescue department, we usually don't have dedicated SAR vehicles. I've seen some non-affiliated teams with SAR trucks, but not many. We're usually 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations which require a generous donation or grant to finance a SAR truck.

Many teams on the East Coast, including mine, haul SAR trailers to incidents and training locations. Not only do the trailers haul gear, but can be converted into an incident command post or comms shack. Offroad SAR tasks generally fall upon those members using their own personally-owned vehicles (POVs). My truck and a few other teammate's POVs are kitted out nicely and we see a fair amount of offroad SAR tasks.

Must be an East Coast thing. Here on the West Coast even as 501(c)(3) units we have trucks. Some units better than others depending on the affiliation or relationship with the Sheriff's Office or not. In WA our unit was Sheriff affiliated but not funded and we had two fairly new trucks thanks to fundraising and grant money. In Idaho we are not affiliated with a specific Sheriff's Office. Our trucks are a bit older. One donated by a member when he bought a new truck, another donated to us by the power company where one of our members works, and another is a retired ambulance for a command vehicle from a private ambulance company that another member works with.

- DH

BriansFJ

Adventurer
DarkHelmet said:
Must be an East Coast thing.

I have to agree. Our team is affiliated with the Sheriff's Office but we receive no funding, 100% donation/grant supported. With that money we: own our own building with a 6 truck bay, classroom and dispatch room; vehicles are 2 Tucker snowcats, a 2008 Chevrolet 1-ton utility vehicle, a 2005 Ford 1-ton rescue truck, a 2000 Ford mobile command post, a 1997 Chevy 1-ton rescue truck, and a 1997 Chevy Suburban squad. Plus 2 ATVs. Never underestimate the power of fundraising and grant writing.:bowdown:

BriansFJ

Adventurer
El Paso County SAR vehicles:

Rescue 1:
Rescue1.jpg

Rescue 2:
Rescue2.jpg

Squad 1:
Squad1.jpg

Comm 1:
Comm1.jpg

Utility 1:
Utility1.jpg

Tracks 1 & 2:
Track12.jpg

Old Rescue 1 (sold):
oldRescue1.jpg

Old Track 3 (sold):
Track3.jpg

edit: I think I got the photos embedded...

Last edited:

BriansFJ

Adventurer
FWIW, I found this link: http://www.firecall.com.au/vehicles.htm

Lots of "bush" vehicles here, comparable to many SAR trucks here in the U.S. especially in the Queensland photo galleries. I like all the Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, Mitsubishis, etc. Some of the more mid-sized units would be interesting heavier-duty rescue units...:safari-rig:

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
BriansFJ said:
El Paso County SAR vehicles:

Rescue 1:
Rescue1.jpg

Rescue 2:
Rescue2.jpg

Squad 1:
Squad1.jpg

Comm 1:
Comm1.jpg

Utility 1:
Utility1.jpg

Tracks 1 & 2:
Track12.jpg

Old Rescue 1 (sold):
oldRescue1.jpg

Old Track 3 (sold):
Track3.jpg

edit: I think I got the photos embedded...

Apparently we need a lesson on fundraising and grant writing from you guys. We own our own 3-bay building with training and dispatch/ops room, a donated Chevy box truck from the Power Company that is our primary response truck and an old donated Suburban from a member that is kinda a junker.

We could use some new stuff.

Owen

BriansFJ

Adventurer
DarkHelmet said:
Apparently we need a lesson on fundraising and grant writing from you guys. We own our own 3-bay building with training and dispatch/ops room, a donated Chevy box truck from the Power Company that is our primary response truck and an old donated Suburban from a member that is kinda a junker.

We could use some new stuff.

Owen
It's a lot of work to establish your initial donor list, but we've been doing this for years so we have a good group of repeat contributors that we send out yearly mailers and email newsletters to. That makes it a little easier. We go after major grants for our new vehicles etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles