Sand ladder SCORE!

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
One of the business in the same complex as the one I work for does industrial grating work. Stuff like raised work platforms in factory's and plants.

They dive our dumpster all the time for crates we throw out. So we usually check if they need them now before we toss them. We had 10 or so pallets of folded boxes we wanted gone and offered them off to our Neighboring business. Beats throwing them away and filling up the landfill. They were interested and arranged to come see what we had.

Anyway we have a little bit of a relationship. They have a product that looks suspiciously like http://www.terra-trax.com/

It is a product called Fibergrate http://www.fibergrate.com/product_detail.asp?id=2&pselect=1#1

So I got talking to the head guy over there asking him what that stuff costs for a couple 48x12 inch pieces. He tells me to swing by and and he will see what he can help me out with.

So he has a few pieces in his "Drop" pile and finds a big piece that is 40x38 inches. pulls it out and hands to to me. So I ask him what the product costs and he tells me its a bit pricey because it is hand made but for what its used for it usually outlasts steel so in the long run it works out to be cheaper. So I ask how much I owe for that piece he pulled out...He tells me its a piece of drop from a completed job. They sell the whole 12x4ft sheet at a time and it was left over that wasn't needed. Lets me have it. :p

So now I need to cut it down. I think I will be building a rack on my truck similar to the Xtera or New FJ. I will use this as the flooring and make it easily removable should I need it for recovery.

Had to test it out so threw it across the ditch in front of my house and took a couple poser shots. :wavey:

+ d

Adventurer
Score!

I've had Fibergrate and McNichols book marked for a while, I've been meaning to call and get quotes...

If there was other interested parties I might be into getting a large sheet, slicing it up, and sharing it with others...

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
Neat... how much deflection does it get in the middle?
With my little 4Runner on it....I couldn't see any. I am sure it did flex but my guess would be less then 1/4 inch with a single wheel of a 3800 lb truck on it.

rgsiii

Observer
+ d said:
Score!

I've had Fibergrate and McNichols book marked for a while, I've been meaning to call and get quotes...

If there was other interested parties I might be into getting a large sheet, slicing it up, and sharing it with others...

I would be interested.

Richard

that stuff works GREAT. i've used mine several times to recover from snow and sand, and to climb a ledge.

you definately want to protect the surface with something...herculiner, linex, rhino, spray-on bedliner...because the rocks do chew it up.

i have two 5'x1.5' sections and two 1.5'x1.5' sections. they also work great as camp tables, seats, things to attach gear to in the bed, and hilift bases. i got the length so they'd exactly fit across the bed of the truck, and so if i needed to cross a 3' gap, i'd have a foot of safety margin. mine are a 2x2x2 grid, and they'll hold iirc the weight of the truck (if it were all on one wheel) at the five foot span without breaking.

iirc 200 bucks got me all four sections cut, sealed, and shipped to my door. they live up against the tailgate, so i'm not losing space either.

-sean

+ d

Adventurer
devinsixtyseven said:
iirc 200 bucks got me all four sections cut, sealed, and shipped to my door.

Where did you get yours from?

(I have McNichols working on a quote for me...I'll post up info when I hear from them.)

+ d

Adventurer
Sorry it took so long guys, but the quote from McNichols...

"McNICHOLS Quality Square Molded Grating,
Fiberglass SGF, Gray 2" Square Grid, 2" Height,
Gray Grit Surface, 72% Open Area, Panel,
48.0000" Width X 144.0000" Length​

$881.00"​

ends up being about $150 per pair (at 12"x48")...not bad, but not sure if it is that much of a savings over the terra trax ($195 per pair) to make it worthy of the effort, since the material would still need to be cut, packaged and shipped...​

if anyone else wants to pick this up and run with it the quote was recieved from Ron Serna, Phone: 562-921-3344​

jayheats

Terra-Trax.com Sand Ladders

Hey guys, you don't need to bug the grate companies and they don't want to deal much with small beans. You will have to buy alot to get the price per piece reasonable. That's what Terra-Trax does for you. Check out www.Terra-Trax.com. At $195 a pair it's still a very decent price.

img1388643cedb048fd92

pwc

Explorer
I contacted a company directly and got them for $90 each before shipping. 60"x18"x1.5". I wanted something a little wider and longer than what terra trax offered. Plus TT doesn't have any info on strength ratings. I wanted to make sure they would hold a fully loaded Defender over a longer ditch. (yes, one picture above shows a Defender using them)
Have yet to recieve them though, so I can't compare yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier