Sand ladder SCORE!

pwc

Explorer
yes, the ones I'm ordering are gritted.

You don't want to go with teh pultruded. At first I thought it was better because it is stronger. But because it's not molded, and instead has holes drilled through and a connecting rod "welded" in place, it's more likely to start coming apart when stressed a lot in the non-dircetional direction. Meaning, the on and off the truck and banging around will start to work on it over a couple years.

I was steered clear of it by 2 companies I spoke with when I gave my use case.

JohnC

Observer
PhulesAU said:
We import the waffleboards from the UK and have looked into purchasing them here in the US but the price to ship those large sheets is ridiculous. In the end you'll end up paying about the same as Terra.

A few comments about the waffleboards:

1. Strong: if you look at the pic on OkOffroad's site, the blue Disco belongs to my partner.... you'll see that the boards support the weight of a LR w/o any problem. FYI, we carry around 300-400 extra pounds in our trucks.
2. Lightweight: easy to carry and move around compared to alluminum ones.
3. Using them on rocks: you have to be carefull using them on rocky surfaces, they are made of fiberglass and will chip if used incorrectly.
4. Not all boards are the same width; I've seen smaller boards (2'x2') that are not 2" wide, just be careful and get one that is 2" wide.

Terra's price is the best I've seen so far, the only way we could beat that price is if we placed a larger order.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, one more thing, I use the Coleman Racing clamps to carry them on my roof rack. here are some pics of the clamps and boards on my roof rack:
1143118193649_Coleman_Clamps.jpg

1153642710403_Canada_18.JPG

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
John C,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Have you found that the 4' planks are long enough for most situations?

I noticed that most steel and aluminium ladders are 5'.

pwc

Explorer
John, those mounts look great! do you have a link or more information on them?

The boards I'm looking at are in the US, small batch (6 boards) but they are thiner. 1.5" instead of the 2" but they have 1.5" spacing between bars of the grid, so there is more material. I've been assured they will hold the weight of a fully loaded 110. But I haven't received them just yet, so I can't comment. Right now I'm not looking to resell them except to friends at cost, and that's only if they actually work out.

thanks for the advice on rocks, I hadn't thought of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles