San Lorenzo Canyon/Cibola NF, New Mexico

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Here's another New Mexico weekend adventure report. This time we went to San Lorenzo Canyon, just north of Socorro NM; what was supposed to be a 3-day trip had to be cut short to a 2-day weekend trip due to work, but we managed to make it worthwhile and visited most of the places we had planned. These are also places I had always wanted to visit but did not have the appropriate vehicle to do it, as my other adventure Jeep is basically a rock crawler and trailer queen.

We left Santa Teresa, NM early and just after a little more than two hours we were at the road leading to San Lorenzo Canyon...

At first, it looks like many other desert arroyos out there...

But before long, you start to see what it really is...

A really beautiful canyon...

I forgot to change camera timer from 3 second to 10 haha...

Last edited:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
San Lorenzo Canyon Part Dos.

What can I say...pictures don't do justice to bla, bla, bla.....these are just a few pictures out of the dozens I took in this place...can't post all of them....and I don't have the time to sort them all out so here they go......

A cell phone pic from my wife...

At times, my mind seemed wholly taken up by my childhood reminiscences.....just expecting Wile E Coyote and the road runner to spring out of those rocks..haha....

Last edited:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
VLA

After a quick lunch and airing up, we left San Lorenzo Canyon and headed to the Plains of San Agustin, to take a look at the VLA.

Very quick, the landscape starts to change from desert to...this...

We decided to take a closer look, since the antennas were deployed all along the tracks and it was on our way to the campground.

There they are...can you see them???

Look what was staring right at us...

My boy was very excited to be real close to them...

Then we headed for the San Mateo Mountains (Cibola NF) to find the campground...

swoope18

I don't know about that, its very capable, thats how I built it. Can't wait to drive it again, in Afghanistan for a few more weeks. Looks like the jeep group I run with is doing a run on the 13th, so time to get it out and knock the cobwebs off.

Then the Chili Challange is in October.

Hopefully I see you around.

Craig
Wow, then I have seen you around and you have one of the ************ jeeps in town! Actually the best jeep in town!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I don't know about that, its very capable, thats how I built it. Can't wait to drive it again, in Afghanistan for a few more weeks. Looks like the jeep group I run with is doing a run on the 13th, so time to get it out and knock the cobwebs off.

Then the Chili Challange is in October.

Hopefully I see you around.

Craig

You will!

Thank you for serving!:sombrero:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Mount Withington

Well... after a healthy dose of biophilia, a good night's sleep, a hearty breakfast and a nice cup of coffee, we broke camp and started our ascent to Mount Withington.

The views were just amazing!!!......

A view of the plains of San Agustin and the VLA from up there.

The Magdalena Mountains...

The Gilas....

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Bear Trap Canyon

After enjoying the views of Mt. Withington, it was time to hit the road so we drove back down the mountain to get to Bear Trap Canyon and follow it all the way down to get to Monticello Canyon.

Bear Trap Canyon....

The "finger"...

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Wow, looks like I need to get east of Arizona here and spend more time in New Mexico
Thanks for the pics and write up.
Best time of year to play in this area??

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Wow, looks like I need to get east of Arizona here and spend more time in New Mexico
Thanks for the pics and write up.
Best time of year to play in this area??

Because is greener, I would say anytime from May to October, but because of the cooler temperatures, middle of September to late October.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94