Samurai vs sidkick/tracker

wingysataday

Adventurer
I am not looking to make a monster truck or crawler. I just want to tow bar it behind my motorhome and use it as a "poor mans utv." I have little kids and more on the way. If I could buy a 4 seater rzr I would. I have been scouring the internet for both and they all seem around $2-4k. some modded some not, like I said mods are cool but I would prefer the softest ride possible. We have been using a lifted golf cart for the last year and its fun but not enough room, and damn cold when hunting.
1. I need something light.
2. I want to use a tow bar to tow. ( I realize the sammy needs the rear driveline disconnected.) not sure about the sidekick.
3. I don't care about mods.
4. I need realiable, cheap, and easy to fix.
5. I would love to drive it to work once in a while.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I am not looking to make a monster truck or crawler. I just want to tow bar it behind my motorhome and use it as a "poor mans utv." I have little kids and more on the way. If I could buy a 4 seater rzr I would. I have been scouring the internet for both and they all seem around $2-4k. some modded some not, like I said mods are cool but I would prefer the softest ride possible. We have been using a lifted golf cart for the last year and its fun but not enough room, and damn cold when hunting.
1. I need something light.
2. I want to use a tow bar to tow. ( I realize the sammy needs the rear driveline disconnected.) not sure about the sidekick.
3. I don't care about mods.
4. I need realiable, cheap, and easy to fix.
5. I would love to drive it to work once in a while.

Why would you need to disconnect the rear driveshaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziv

Observer
I've had a Sidekick. Loved it. They are cheap, light and way too much fun. To tow, just hook it up and put the transfer case in neutral.

memorialday_2013-51.jpg

Last edited:

Riptide

Explorer
I've towed my Sami plenty; I've just followed the factory manual. It recommends towing less than 200 miles at a time, then starting the engine to get everything lubed up again. I thought it was gonna be a hassle, but 200 miles is about where I gotta take a leak anyway, and the girls wanna stretch their legs.

Having said that, I did by the Trail Tough Twisted T kit; whenever I get around to dropping the transfer case, I'll do the mod.

wingysataday

Adventurer
Well I don't want to get into how to tow a Samurai there are plenty of forums on that.
I'm leaning more towards the sidekick/tracker at this time.

nick_n_ii

I'd say get a Tracker/Sidekick. Smoother ride, more space and EFI.

I'm currently getting ready to build a pair of Trackicks(his and hers). We have 2 kids, hate wheeling/adventuring solo and want 2 doors..

Dake21

Adventurer
A friend of mine has a sidekick with over 500 000KM with it, never had to change any engine parts. I think all of the zook can be put in neutral and be towed. The smoothest ride will be with a 2nd gen grand vitara by far. Can't tell how easy it is to fix vs other tough.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I have a Zuk and LOVE it.
That being said, the intake is tricky, the ride is rough, the interior is uncomfortable and it's rusted bad.
I still love it.

The Tracker will offer a bigger engine with a better intake and fuel system, the interior will be considerably more refined, all that with a weak IFS.

It depends on where you put your priorities...

Both seem to be viable options for what you're looking for, both come in hard and soft top versions.

Zuk's are becoming harder to find in good working order.

Did I mention I love my zuk?

wingysataday

Adventurer
appreciate it Jeepmudder. I guess it just depends on what I find in my general area. I'm in the pacific northwest. Their are a few options. A couple built sammys'.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I've got a two-door Sidekick and love it. It's cheap to work on; parts are plentiful; mileage isn't too bad. It's super reliable and a tough little trucklet! The Sidekick is going to be more comfortable than the Samurai due to the bigger size and IFS. Both are great little vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz