Samurai as a expo truck

The Big E

i think in petersons ultimate adventure some years ago there was a sami that towed a trailer threw the whole thing. i think it was pretty heavily modded (maybe more than you want), but still may have some ideas that could help.

That was Tim Hardy. He has driven that sami all over the place with the ultimate adventure. He towed the trailer in the 1995 TTC.

http://zukioffroad.com/suzuki_samurai_page_of_fame.htm

I'm starting to feel the same way about using my LWB samurai for some long range trips. It has yj's and toy axles now. Going with the 1.6TD diesel swap this winter. Oh and I agree about the rancho shock comments stated here. They are way to heavy for a sami.

You should use the sami for sure.

i got the most recent edition of petersons this week and he was in there again this year. tim hardy. i like the style of the whole setup. it just works. i need more room than the sami's offer. but, if i didn't thats what i would be driving.

sross

Adventurer
Ok, its been a while since I posted about this. I've been much busier than expected with predeployment and family stuff and the FJ80 has been sucking up all my spare money trying to get it in shape to sell but I have some good news about the Sami. While at my parents' house over Christmas I played golf with my dad and a buddy of his who is a retired mechanic. He offered to rebuild the whole drive train for the cost of parts as he gets bored and needs projects. He's done about the same thing for a lot of deployed soldiers but said most of the time its fixing deployed soldier's wives cars. He said he really like's samurai's and keeps one around the farm to drive around in the fields. I did fix the water pump but I'm still having over heating issues and I don't have the diagnostic abilities to figure out what is wrong with the thing. Also, I came across some pics of an old LR 88 series that had jerrie cans mounted on the sides. Anybody have thoughts on that? It seemed like a good comprimise to me as the sami is already so narrow.

sross

Adventurer
Well, I haven't posted any updates on the sami and the trip in a while but the lay of the land has changed a bit.

I am deployed now making the money to pay for the trip and it will be shorter than initially envisioned. I was accepted into my dream school so I now have only 4 months to travel. I also may have a partner for this expedition as well which is good news. New plan is to head south and turn around after 2 months and go back north by a different route.

The sami now has a completely rebuilt drivetrain with 4.10 t-case gears and the body is off the frame getting sand-blasted and painted. I had not planned on having it painted but my dad started driving it around and my mom wouldn't let him park it at the house unless he got it painted. When he told me I thought a maaco special was in the works but he knows a guy who is doing it on trade or something like that. Its getting painted british racing green with a white roof in classic landy style.

sross

Adventurer
Hopefully soon, my Dad is supposed to be emailing me some. I will post them up for sure. Was surfing the web a couple days ago and figured out I can circle the country hitting all of the big samurai events if the dates stay about the same in 2011 as they are in 2010. I have about six months before I need to make any hard decisions on scheduling. I'm a logistics guy by trade so I think I have a pretty good handle on last minute changes.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I had 2 samis in the UK both a 1000 cc and then later a 1300cc

which I used to drive every year from the UK to Southern spain work the summer and then drive back.

I had a little trailer with my winsurfing gear and minimal fluff

The days are slow at 55 mph, but they are tuff little trucks and perfectly capable if the packing is right.

some where between the 1000 cc and 1300 cc

I had a little Diahatsu which carried out the same duty and basicly the same size as a sami

So it can be done !

Scott Brady

Founder
I am about to drive one from Barcelona to Mongolia. It is a newer version, the Jimny, but equally tough. It has a 1.3L FI motor.

I will let everyone know how it goes. . .

Scott Brady

Founder
Here she is:

attachment.php

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
remember catalan is the principle language in Barcelona ! not spanish !

the 1300 cc sami I had was last seen in the police impound lot in L'estartit around 9 years ago...2 hrs towards france on the coast

also in catalunia

Salvador dali's museum is in figuras around 2 hrs north east on the auto pista well worth a visit , you will apreciate your sanity !

beware the ramblas and pick pockets

Disfruta la tapas et vino negro con aqua et carahillos por la manana..( brandy coffee's for breakfast)

Take some time before the off to cruise the coast north towards france - lovely area and excellent diving in L'estartit

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
So obviously this is going to be a tin top, if you are doing the racing green with the white roof, am I correct?

One important thing to know about the tin tops is that they like to take naps on the trails. SO If you are going to be on any off camber trails be very aware of that. On the flip side, the good news is that you can usually pick one up with three or four fit guys.

Sounds like an interesting trip.

Not to mention, this thing will feel like the lap of luxury coming out of an HMMWV! haha

Be safe out there, and thanks for all that you do to carry on our way of life Brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94