Samurai as a expo truck

sross

Adventurer
Hi all, this is my first post. Right now I am planning a South America expedition in 2011. The time frame is far off so I can deploy again to pay for the trip. Right now I own two trucks, a 91' FJ-80 which would be perfect if it wasn't so damn expensive to fix stuff on or drive. My other truck is an 88' Samurai. Right now I'm leaning towards the Samurai and doing a motorcycle style trip just with some more gear. The cruiser would be much more comfortable but it is such an expensive truck to work on. I can drive more than twice as far on a tank of gas with the sammi than the cruiser. I won't be tempted to spend money on comfort items because there won't be room for it in the sammi. From what I've read both vehicles are easy to have repaired and common down south. I'm planning on staying in hostels so I'll carry a tent but a rtt that cost twice as much as I payed for the truck is not acceptable. I'm pretty I'll run a 235/75/16 tire because they are the most used tire (?) and there isn't much room for spares on the sammi. I'll post a pic of it later but the body is pretty battered and all it really has for it is good compression in all four cylinders. Until march, I plan on spending a weekend and a couple hundred bucks a month getting it completely baselined and then a small lift and a locker. I'm pretty sure this could come under the less than $2000 expo vehicle thread :) Thanks for the help.

gabepari

Explorer
I just switched from a Sammi to an 80. I loved the Sammi, but it wasn't big enough for the family. If I was going solo, the Samurai would definitely be my choice. It was SOOOO easy to work on, pull the tranny in 20 minutes, with darn near one hand :wings:

I guess they both have there pros and cons, and being that you have both already it's pretty much up to you and how comfortable you are being in a bad spot with either truck.

When you say you can go twice as far on a tank with the Sammi, do you have a larger than stock tank? My Sammi had a 10 gallon tank, with a range of 150-220 miles, depending on driving style. The 80 has a 25 gallon tank, with a range of 200-375 miles, again depending on driving style.

For what it's worth, I would take the Samurai.

Gabe

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I would have you sell both and then:

-Buy an extended cab toyota pickup or tacoma with a four cylinder motor

-Put a camper shell on the back, with gear underneath a sleeping platform.

-Do a full tune-up, baseline

-install extraction points front and rear

-Go on Adventure of a lifetime...

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
i would have you sell both and then:

-buy an extended cab toyota pickup or tacoma with a four cylinder motor

-put a camper shell on the back, with gear underneath a sleeping platform.

-do a full tune-up, baseline

-install extraction points front and rear

-go on adventure of a lifetime...

x2

CYi5

Explorer
Your samurai must ride like a dream...my 87 SOA with YJ springs will wear you out by the end of the day.

jh504

Explorer
Ive never had a Samurai before, but I REALLY want one. I would go with the Sami if you are going solo and you think your 80 would be too much of a pain. You know your vehicles so you know which one you would be more comfortable in. Some folks might tell you a Samurai is too small for a long term expedition but I think anything that is capable enough to get you there and get you home works. Folk have traveled around the world on bicycles, oldschool motorcycles and all sorts of stuff. A Samurai is much bigger than a bike.

By the way, welcome to ExPo. Good to see someone from NC, I guess your at Fort Bragg?

Last edited:

sross

Adventurer
The ride in the Sami isn't great, especially compared to the LC. Fuel mileage is right around double what the LC is as well even if the cruiser can go farther on a tank. A upgrade to the 15 gallon tank will give equal range and a 5 gallon jerry can adds another hundred miles to that. Another thing I thought of today was that I wouldn't feel too bad if I had to abandon the samurai somewhere in SA. Sure I'd be out a few grand but if for some reason I had to get back to the States I would be compelled to try and get the cruiser back. Its probably less likely to be stolen as well. Has anybody seen a expo set up in a suv this small or maybe only a little larger?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There's MUCH good to be said about a Samurai, but I also suspect that a stock one with leaf springs front and rear could wear you out on a long journey. The wheelbase is short and thus it rocks fore and aft more than most "normal" vehicles. Also, the manual steering is surprisingly heavy when not moving. However, there are fixes for all Samurai issues, and they cost comparatively little . . . because of the tiny size, stuff for a Sami is cheap and easy to install.

SOOOO. . . . love the truck, but don't know as it's sophisticated enough for the many days of constant use.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I want one!

Heck, they are so light I could even tow it behind the SWR. The SWR could become base camp, and the little Sammy could go out and play. Or I could tow the Samurai to the outback and then my son could then use it to follow me around on the trails.

You could put a roof rack on it. And even pull a small trailer for extra goodies.

I'm also looking at the little 2 door Mitsubishi's.

Just think of it dressed in ExPo White.:sombrero:

2doorMitsu.jpg

i think in petersons ultimate adventure some years ago there was a sami that towed a trailer threw the whole thing. i think it was pretty heavily modded (maybe more than you want), but still may have some ideas that could help.

jh504

Explorer
You could always toss the axles, springs, and motor. Then find an old beat up 1st gen Toyota truck and swap everything out. That would be a hardcore setup and maybe easier to find replacement parts in SA.

Desert Dan

Explorer
I think a Samurai is too small for a long range expedition rig.

I have had a CJ-5, YJ, TJ and pick-up trucks.

Even a Jeep is pushing it for space on extended trips.

Been there done that.

Space and safety and ride are important.

chet

island Explorer
I like your idea! Although you may want to spend a little more to make a comfortable rig. Fisrt rebuild the tcase and tranny. they are very simple to do and rebuild kits are cheap. Never worry about a siezed bearing is priceless and don't use the trailgear kit as they use no name bearings! Get a bigger tank from pertroworks to give you some range. Get some springs and shocks from OME and from what I've heard the ride will be ALOT better. I have YJ springs in mine and it rides like a dream. Shocks are where its at. Do not use Rancho shocks they are valved way too heavy for a sammy.

I would forget the locker unless its selectable as it will wear you out over a long trip. Get a small winch for the front instead.

Thinking of it like a motorbike is pretty much essential because if you overload it will not get the mileage you expect and will suck on hiways. Adding a thorley header, 2" exhaust and a better air filter makes a world of difference to the power. I would say add a cam but you need to pull the head to do that.

Oh ya don't forget the distributor o-ring if you have an oil leak at the back of the head! :D

AK_Brian

To Samurai or not to Samurai...

I think valid points have been discussed about the Samurai being a super short wheelbase and the ride being ruff, etc...

I have a Kawasaki KLR650 and rode it all over Alaska putting more than 15,000 miles on in 2 seasons. I put in a few 500 mile days. It wasn't the best bike for the job, but it did it, and I could do it again and it was a lot of fun.

I now have a BMW R1150GS. Its much better suited for the longer days and longer rides and is more comfortable.

If I was going to South America I would take the KLR because its easier to work on, my model was basically the same for 20yrs, and is lighter.

I think both of your trucks would be good choices for the trip. If the take the Samurai it might be a little bumpier. But then you could say you did it in a Samurai :sombrero:

Brian

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
If you take the Samurai it might be a little bumpier. But then you could say you did it in a Samurai :sombrero:

This is definitely worth including in the consideration. Taking the Samurai makes the adventure into, well, an ADVENTURE. I know from my former Unimog camper that simply choosing to employ a "non-standard" vehicle adds a layer of accomplishment that feels good. The trip that might be barely memorable in a newer Land Cruiser becomes something worth remembering in a Samurai.

And Times 2 on the comparisons with adventure motorcycling. While it might have shortcomings as a truck, it works great as a psuedo-adventure bike that can't tip over and has more cargo area and better weather protection.

Similarly, Times 2 on the "tow it--park the tow vehicle--run around in the Sami" strategy. That was our strategy. Works great.

The Samurai is a cool little trucklette . . . perhaps not very good when objectively compared to other modern vehicles, but with lots of potential for good times if you approach with realistic expectations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94