Sale Pending! Award winning f550 based full custom camper. $225k

S2DM

Adventurer
A7406481.jpg

A7406382.jpg

I built this camper myself from the ground up over several years, with no expense spared and extreme attention to detail. All of the systems are higher end than you would find on an earthroamer and all of the capacities greater (Ah of lithium, solar, fuel etc). It is moulded custom composite construction, designed completely in solidworks. It has a main lifting roof that allows a height of under 10ft when down, but gives a 6'10" interior height when up. We are starting to build a new rig to suit our expanding family and planned move to Alaska, hence the sale. We have over $500k invested in this rig in addition to many thousands of hours of work and design. We chose the gasser (6.8 V10) for many reasons, the main reason being planned pan am travel. This truck rules baja!

Asking $225k. Will consider trades plus cash for van based rigs (sprinter, e350) with large pass throughs that will allow us to continue to explore while I design the next rig. Currently in California, near Santa Barbara.

Approximately 25k miles on the truck at the moment. Weight is approximately 15k lbs.

Here is some press about the camper:

Article from New Atlas naming it their expo west 18 best in show:

https://newatlas.com/overland-expo-2018-big-motorhomes/54816/

Expedition Portal Featured Article

Expo Article

And a video from the Sunnyside (German Expedition Vehicle Publication) from Expo 18 as well. The camper had an interior remodel with AC upgrade and a new fridge after this video was shot.

Here is one from Truck Camper Adventure as well

Link

Since I get a ton of questions on it, here is a video showing how the articulating cabover third (accordion) wall system works. It allows open air living when nice out, and climate protection when inclement. It is powered by a linear actuator and controlled via toggle switch

Here is a mostly complete list of the camper systems. There is a ton I missed, this is a very well thought out camper. But here are the highlights.

Camper Body

• Full custom composite construction. All molded, seamless.
  • Lifting roof design with 4 corner electronic linear actuators from Linak with IC parallel control system
  • Bed platform lifts on linear actuator for under bed storage
  • Extensive storage in locker assembly
  • Outbound Windows throughout, plus sunroof
  • Front middle wall assembly operates independently via linear actuator and a cable system (see video for demo)
  • 3 full length pockets in roof. Designed to fit surfboards, these will also take ski gear, fishing gear etc.

Truck

• 2016 Ford f550 Crew Cab gas (6.8l V10) XLT package 4wd
Electrical

• 800ah (4x200ah) Victron Lithium Batteries
  • 12/3000 Victron Multiplus Inverter
  • 12/240 Victron Phoenix 240v inverter (for AC system)
  • Victron BlueSolar MPPT charge controller
  • Victron BMS, BMV, low voltage disconnect and related
  • Victron CCGX interface
  • Nations starter and Alternator second alternator system
  • Blue Sea Custom breaker set up
  • 1300 watts solar panels (LG mono x).
  • Shore power hookup
  • 2 outdoor 115v AC outlets
  • LED lighting with dimmer
HVAC

• Mitsubishi rebuilt mini split AC, 9000BTU Heat pump. I am able to run this on approx 350 watts of power for heating and cooling. Works really well
  • Espar D5 hydronic heater, gas. Sure Marine Real air handler
  • Fantastic Fan
  • Built in fan in dining area
Misc

• New brake lines
  • Custom fold down rear rack for firewood, bikes/motorcycles
  • Custom made rear seat platform. Molded to fit seat body and provide a flat sleeping platform or area for dogs
  • Full Line-x (black areas) and Line-x Ultra (blue areas) paint job on truck and camper
  • Custom front bumper (wide enough for f550 with widened flares)
  • Warn 16.5 ti winch
  • 4 bumper mounted high output lights
  • Accessory fuel transfer tank. 32 gallons. Main tank is 40 gallons for a total of 72 gallons.
Super Single Conversion

• Custom made front fender flares
  • Full bead lock super single 20x11 wheels
  • Goodyears g275 MSA 41” tires with spare
Suspension

• Custom set of Deaver rear leaf springs
  • Rear firestone airbags
  • Carli front coil springs
  • Hydraulic bump stops on front suspension
  • PMF fab steering stabilizer
  • Custom valved and tuned (by king) 3” rear remote reservoir shocks, 2.5” front remote reservoir shocks
Cooking/Galley/Plumbing

• 2 custom pull out outdoor cabinets housing sink and cooking gear
  • Kenyon Induction Cooktop - one in inside galley, one in outside galley
  • Kenyon electric BBQ in outdoor galley
  • Outdoor sink with custom sump pump assembly that pumps sink water into grey water tank
  • Indoor sink
  • Isotemp 6.4 gallon dual function water heater
  • Isotherm drawer 85 Inox fridge/freezer
  • 90 gallon fresh water capacity
  • 40 gallon grey water capacity
  • Natures head composting toilet in custom cabinet accessed via linear actuator slide out
  • Full interior shower in entry door (shower curtain hangs from magnets in roof)
  • 2 exterior showers
  • Whale pump and accumulator tank and whale tubing and fittings throughout
  • GE Microwave

Additional images:

A7406293.jpg

A7406457_oQX.jpg

A7406523.jpg

A7406344.jpg

A7406397.jpg

Click on the link for additional photos

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Wow Scott, gorgeous!! Love all the thoughtful details, modern interior aesthetic. Any pics of the truck interior including rear seat area for the pups?
Question on the Outbound windows; for what reason did you go with roller blinds above them vs Outbound bug/blackout screens?
Provision for table for horseshoe dinette?

poisondoc

Spectacular. Genius design. If my (also growing) family weren't the primary driver of our vehicle needs, I'd be looking to trade you my Agile Offroad/Van Haus E350 V10 and a suitcase full of cash for this... GLWS

S2DM

Adventurer
Wow Scott, gorgeous!! Love all the thoughtful details, modern interior aesthetic. Any pics of the truck interior including rear seat area for the pups?
Question on the Outbound windows; for what reason did you go with roller blinds above them vs Outbound bug/blackout screens?
Provision for table for horseshoe dinette?

The lifting roof made the outbound screens an impossibility (because the windows are on the outer shell, the screen apparatus would have been between the two walls when down). While I like every aspect of the outbound windows, I thought the quality on the screen apparatus was a little lacking, so didnt consider it a loss.

The image link I included has pics of the rear seat area, but let me know if youd like more and I will send them.

S2DM

Adventurer
Spectacular. Genius design. If my (also growing) family weren't the primary driver of our vehicle needs, I'd be looking to trade you my Agile Offroad/Van Haus E350 V10 and a suitcase full of cash for this... GLWS
Thats the kind of trade we are looking for, suitcases of cash and an e350 :) We want to play with a van based rig for a while before we finalize the details on our next build.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Can you tell us more about the lifting system or a link to a build for it? Very curious how to set one up for an electric sliding rack. Best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste