SAFETY

LIVEABOARD

Adventurer
What is consencous of not having all the safety on the cab over especially air bags. every isuzu sold in the world
places like Malaysia India Tonga Only US market are they deleted

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I do not know if it is still the case now, but all of our RFS (Rural Fire Service) trucks used to be ordered without air bags or power windows, as these were seen to be a potential safety issue, not a benefit.
Having said that, if you have a decent front end crash in any of these types of trucks, I don't know how much benefit an air bag will give you. :(

dlh62c

Explorer
The cabs on these trucks have a large glass area. Not sure having it all blown out in a crash or roll over is a good thing. Maybe when the truck is sinking and/or on fire it would be. I can't help but see in my minds eye, heads, arms and torsos being flung about.

Happykamper

Explorer
I have a couple rigs that I use for harsher terrain that I have deleted the airbags in simply because in some situations they could deploy without a " crash " . Works for me.

LIVEABOARD

Adventurer
AUSTRALIA rest of world gets air bags and door safety and A pillar safety but can not be gotten on U.S. bound vehicles want to get but this might stop me from purchase

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have done pretty serious wheeling in vehicles with airbags and never had an unintended airbag deployment. They are pretty smart systems.

blackduck

Explorer
I do not know if it is still the case now, but all of our RFS (Rural Fire Service) trucks used to be ordered without air bags or power windows, as these were seen to be a potential safety issue, not a benefit.
Having said that, if you have a decent front end crash in any of these types of trucks, I don't know how much benefit an air bag will give you. :(

I believe this is still the case Owen after firefighters in Vic lost there lives when the locking melted and they couldnt escape
as far as air bags i think the best safety measure is size. car drivers dont come anywhere near you
especially when the wife is driving

Amesz00

Adventurer
New DFES trucks in WA do have power windows and airbags.
I believe now they're designing the trucks systems so that in a burnover situation you stay in the cab, with deluge sprays, heat shields and emergency beacons that direct a water bomber to dump on their location.

skippythedog

Observer
If you get hit by a big truck, you're toast anyway, but in the average day to day collisions I believe one will fare well because of the mass of the truck and generally speaking, you're above the point of impact of most vehicles. That being said, on my own FG 140, I've installed a home built steel bumper of relatively substantial mass. Though I have no way of truly predicting how it will behave in a collision, I believe that it will spread much of the energy across the front of the lower part of the cab. There really is no "crumple zone" in a cabover is there? Maybe I'm a sick, addicted puppy/glutton for punishment...my first rig was a 1966 VW Bus.......first one at the scene of a crash, huh? :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

wrinkledpants

Smart cars will hold their own in a crash in so far as you can still open some of the doors. The occupants will be dead from the sudden de-acceleration, though. It's the same with the vanagon - sturdy front end, but that's not what you want. You want a nice and slow deceleration.

If you have sufficient mass and strength, that slow deceleration comes in the form you transferring the energy into the car you're hitting. Think linebacker hitting a 120 lb girl. Yet, if a linebacker runs into a brick wall at the same speed as a 110 lb girl, they're both going to have the same brain injuries.

I researched the Fuso chassis quite a bit for our needs with an eye on safety, and from my perspective, it didn't strike me as something crashworthy. It was a driving factor in going with a Sprinter given it has crumple zones, air bags, and a slew of electronic safety measures to help avoid or reduce the chances of a crash. The crash test video for the Fuso shows no crumpling in the front end, which means you're going to feel every bit of that deceleration. The vehicle may be intact, but your head and internal organs are going to take a beating. Great for off-road, though, as you want that rigidity and sturdiness for that. Fuso vs F250 - I'd rather take my chances in the F250.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3Lbtlh4y0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles