Safety flag

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Dune flag, Safety flag, ORV flag, ATV flag

What are you guys using?

Heights seem to be 8'-10' and an orange flag within 10" of the top. 6"x10" seems to be the minimum flag dimension.

Some places require it some do not.

Whip: Fiberglass? Aluminum? One piece? Two piece? Three?

Mount: Plastic, Rubber? Metal? Spring? Quick coupler? Suction cup? Where and how do you mount yours? I have seen one reference that it must be mounted to to the front of a fullsize vehicle.

In the trees it doesn't make much sense. The increased visibility may be a good safety item for desert travel.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Heidi and Josh and some of the FJ group have some. I think they are made by a sponsor on the AZFJ board, there way cool.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I like the look of this: Ebay - safety flag

Neat idea. I am sure it is just tent poles with the elastic to join them. An airline coupler with a compression by pipe thread fitting. All easily replaceable parts if damaged. I will likely mount a whip to the roller fairlead of my winch. The winch is removable and can be installed on the front or rear if needed. I usually pack it on the front. That mounting point will put the base at just over 30".
If I need another foot, I just add a tent pole section to it. I have plenty of the high quality shock cord to re-string it if needed.
The whip comes off quick and breaks down for storage. Pop it off and stow while traveling in the trees, or down the highway.

I see it is also available in aluminum. I wonder if that might be more rigid. It would be lighter weight. That may or may not be an advantage.

Good idea, bad idea?

I don't need more "bling". That is not my style. I do like to be prepared and I know parks are requiring these as are Oregon coast beach areas. I would like to have the option.

Around here there really is nothing available. I have no idea how you would get a 8' long whip shipped inexpensively. The model that breaks down sure seems like a nice way to not only get it shipped, but stow it as well.
I will not be using it frequently. Durability may not be a real issue. I am sure a one piece fiberglass whip would be stronger. Do I really need that for the couple times I may be required to have a safety flag?

Buying a flag locally when you arrive is easier said than done. I was not able to find one on the weekend in the small coastal town along the Oregon coast. Lots of recommendations on who "might" carry such an item, but no luck finding one.

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
HenryJ said:
I like the look of this: Ebay - safety flag

That is a slick idea. Solves the storage issues.

Safety flags are commonly just a fiberglass whip with a flag. Dune buggy and sand rail shops typically carry them, including models with a light at the top. If there isn't such a shop near you, try an inexpensive CB antenna.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
From what I recall of Oregon rules from my trips to Sand Lake it is the flag that must be at least 8' off the ground, not that the whip must be 8' tall. If that is correct, then a shorter whip mounted higher could still meeet the requirement.

I use a 1 piece fibreglas whip. It is essentially a 102" cb antenna lacking the wire. I like that ebay mount, but I know that brass won't like the constant motion. I would use a steel male coupler part and I would attach it the whip rather than the female coupler.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
flyingwil said:
Heidi and Josh and some of the FJ group have some. I think they are made by a sponsor on the AZFJ board, there way cool.

We run a custom flag made by Devil Woman Flags, along with our AZ flag. Come up with an image or an idea and send it to her and you'll get an awesome custom flag for $20!

normal_r2.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'm hoping to make the Surf~N~Turf this year..........so I had this same question.

I looked up the site and found this..........

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1227

EQUIPMENT
All vehicles operating in the SVRA (beach and dune area south of Post 2), must be equipped with the following:

An adequate muffler. (Required for vehicle operation in any area.)

An 8' whip with an orange or red flag with a minimum size of 6" x 12".

Except for two-, three-, and four-wheeled cycles, all vehicles shall be equipped with adequate roll bars or roof structures of sufficient strength to support the weight of the vehicle and shall have a secure seat and seat belt for the vehicle operator and each passenger. Seat belts shall be as specified in the California Vehicle Code.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm hoping a flag on top of my 5' Wilson would be good enough.

You could just do a search for any park you want to head to and check their Regs.

Rockit

Go to a bike shop and get a standard bike flag. about $7 for flag and pole.
A lot of them use 2 pc poles also.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Required only in "Dunes"

735-116-0000 (Oregon) Safety Equipment Standards for Off-Road Vehicles

(1) The Transportation Safety Division of the Department of Transportation adopts the following equipment requirements for off-road vehicles that operate in areas as described in ORS 821.020.

(D) Flag. All vehicles must display a highly visible red or orange flag when operating on the sand. The flag must:
(a) Be displayed at a height of at least nine feet from the ground level when the vehicle is under power; and
(b) Have one side that is at least eight inches wide, and be at least twelve inches long.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I use a standard OHV variety flag from anyone of the local moto/atv shops.

Mounting is simple with the Tacoma, I simply shut it in the tailgate, it gets locked in between the latch mechanism and the gate, doesn't move a bit.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
mog said:
735-116-0000 (Oregon) Safety Equipment Standards for Off-Road Vehicles... Flag. All vehicles must display a highly visible red or orange flag when operating on the sand. The flag must:
(a) Be displayed at a height of at least nine feet from the ground level when the vehicle is under power; and
(b) Have one side that is at least eight inches wide, and be at least twelve inches long.
Thank you! Those are the specifications I will need to adhere to.

I "pulled the trigger" on the three piece aluminum quick disconnect ebay flag. Under $30 for everything and the flag looks to be a pretty visible one.
It should get me to just under 10'. I may need to make a change in the flag if the Orange is not quite tall enough on the side. All together the unit looks like a good idea. I probably could have assembled all the pieces myself, but this was their good idea. It is for sale and priced reasonably in my mind. I am willing to reward that with my purchase.
I hope I made a good choice. I will follow up with my impressions after the install.

Keep the suggestions coming. I like the idea of a signature flag. That sure would make it easier for the gang to meet and greet.

lowenbrau

Explorer
The only Dunes I seem to get to is Pismo and it is not required there for highway vehicles. I'd still invest in one if I spent much time there though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94