safety film

kpredator

Adventurer
hello
has anyone applied a clear or tinted safety film to their rigs windows.
thinking about a future central america trip.
its very common in south africa "smash and grab security"
interested in what product was used and did it affect glass clarity.

thanks
kp

kpredator

Adventurer
frenchie I believe most people skip the windshield and just do the passenger side windows.
I will post this question on the 4x4 community.za forum and see what the experts say

kp

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Not directly relevant to your question, but any film will reduce light transmission through the glass, so you won't see as well at night. Figure about an 8% loss for each layer of whatever, whether it's windshield glass, glass film, or even your eyeglasses. It all adds up. Another factor to be aware of is that even the best films will cause some flare of point sources of light, like oncoming headlights.

TscotR214

I've been running Llumar safety and security tint on my Tacoma for years and years, first an '07 and now my '15. I am interested in both security and UV blockage, so I treat every piece of glass on the entire truck and rear shell. My Taco comes with rear side and very back factory tinted (double cab short bed), so I add clear film to the inside of those. Any glass that is not factory tinted gets 50% tint, including the front sides and front windscreen. Never had an issue with visibility, glare, flare, etc, and driving with automatic sunscreen is awesome. I've only had one instance where a lurker in a parking lot watched me walk away ttoward a store, then attempt a smash with what looked like a convenient thrown rock. Just bounced off the glass, very entertaining, as I was able to watch him in the store window reflection. Set the alarm off and he ran, no issue at all with the glass.

The safety films go on just like regular tint, on the inside with a squeegee, they are just tougher and thicker film than normal tint. Most come in anything from full clear to limo black, and shades in-between. All block 98% or so of UV (I think both A and B but not positive on the UVB).

Safety note: not only does it deter theft, but it will definitely slow down EMS responders trying to save your ***. Full axe swings don't do much to the glass, but with enough work (minutes) you can break thru slightly to open the door.

Visibility note: awesome for not getting blinded during early morning sun, hardly need sunglasses most of the time. With all my windows 50% (lets in half of available light) dark parking lots that are not lit are hard to negotiate without headlights on, so if you drive in the dark without headlights I probably would not recommend it. For normal driving including fog, rain, snow, night , etc, I don't have a problem. I've loaned my truck to family members and no one even knows they're not factory tint or factory clear, including my local LE personnel for almost ten years now.

3M also makes similar security film, as I think Llumar discontinued their line. Google the Llumar video, dude with a rock just wailing on a car window with little effect for quite some time.

Bottom line, highly recommended, will always instal on all my vehicles, and I have yet to find a downside.

Nomad1

Observer
hello
has anyone applied a clear or tinted safety film to their rigs windows.
thinking about a future central america trip.
its very common in south africa "smash and grab security"
interested in what product was used and did it affect glass clarity.

thanks
kp

Is it worth it depends eventually the wipers will mark it up bad enough that you will remove it max 2 years.. I wanted it as I am tired of all the glass all over the inside of the vehicle when they smash the glass I don't keep anything in my vehicle but that does not stop the stupids does it work for the smash and grabs a bit they still get in as the plastic film only goes to the edge of the glass so they get in eventually if they are determine thieves.

I suggest you wire/bar up all the windows and put removable ones on side and windshield and add a lock system on all doors...

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
With all my windows 50% (lets in half of available light) dark parking lots that are not lit are hard to negotiate without headlights on, so if you drive in the dark without headlights I probably would not recommend it.
I ordered 3M 90% VLT (10% blockage)for my trucks last year and the numbnutz at the tint shop installed 70% VLT because "nobody wants 90%." On familiar roads in the desert at 3:00am, I could not pick out landmarks without rolling down the side windows, and I have a lot of lights on the truck. I am replacing the 70% with 90% as soon as I can spend the day watching those clowns do it right.

TscotR214

3M goes on the inside of the glass, not the outside, so wipers are not an issue. That said, my dogs occasionally scratch at the glass in excitement, but I have yet to see any damage to the film.

Rebellion

Observer
I also installed Llumar safety film on my side and rear window of my 2015 Chevy Silverado. I would have done the windshield but it already had a crack from a rock thrown up by another vehicle. Once I replace the windshield I will have the film install on that too, hopefully it will also protect against unwanted rock chips/cracks.
No complaints about vision clarity although I went with the so called clear tint on top of the factory limo tint.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm liking this idea. Was already considering adding clear film to my Suburban for heat / UV control. I like the security idea as well. I've seen enough angry mobs of late and considering the 'bug out' purposes of the vehicle, having security film on the windows makes added sense.
It's quite a bit more expensive than 'regular' tint.

4wdCamper

3M film is awesome but if you crash and the doors are jammed, rescuers will have a hard time getting to folks in the cab:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
FWIW - tinted glass/film is illegal in some latin countries. Bolivia, for example, requires a police permit and limits dark tints to police vehicles.

Probably not an issue on side windows, as long as the tint is not extreme, but anything on the windshield could be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz